Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 07:53 PM

90 posts, read 328,445 times

Advertisements

slowes, the Fox Cities aren't famous for healthy living, so it could take some work finding the best places to work out. You might hit some sporting goods stores for advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 03:17 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,865,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicePolishBoy View Post
slowes, the Fox Cities aren't famous for healthy living, so it could take some work finding the best places to work out. You might hit some sporting goods stores for advice.
I think it would be more correct to say America isn't famous for healthy living .

There are many gyms in the Fox Cities, plenty of YMCA's (many of which are new) and some employers have on-site facilities as well. But the real thing to watch out for is junk food (also an American thing). One thing I like about Appleton, inside the city limits at least, there are no big box restaurants (Applebee's etc) and not all that many fast food joints. At least I'm pretty sure, I don't eat at those places anyway, heh. There are a ton of great "real" restaurants in Appleton and a few in Neenah to choose from; something Appleton has a serious leg-up against Oshkosh. Oshkosh does have a few gem pizza places though!

Old 07-27-2009, 10:43 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,073,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
I think it would be more correct to say America isn't famous for healthy living .

There are many gyms in the Fox Cities, plenty of YMCA's (many of which are new) and some employers have on-site facilities as well. But the real thing to watch out for is junk food (also an American thing). One thing I like about Appleton, inside the city limits at least, there are no big box restaurants (Applebee's etc) and not all that many fast food joints. At least I'm pretty sure, I don't eat at those places anyway, heh. There are a ton of great "real" restaurants in Appleton and a few in Neenah to choose from; something Appleton has a serious leg-up against Oshkosh. Oshkosh does have a few gem pizza places though!
Very true, however, once you cross Lynndale Dr you're in Grand Chute, "the land of big box everything."

Old 07-28-2009, 04:40 AM

32 posts, read 96,911 times
If you do like to bike ride there is a gorgeous trail along the lake in Manitowoc. You should investigate that a bit. If you're not looking for a big nightlife, Manitowoc might be your thing! Quiet town with lots of character and it's a really beautiful location. Manintowoc is definitely a great place to live if you want to be able to take advantage of Lake Michigan.

I would say if you're young and single, Appleton is DEFINITELY the way to go.

Oshkosh is a neat city no doubt, more of a college feel to it because of UW. Oshkosh also has a lot of character. The lakes in Oshkosh are also great for outdoors stuff too.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:36 AM

90 posts, read 328,445 times
The healthy living is relative. We have friends way out west and out east who have no problem getting good quality fruits and vegetables, they have many places to exercise, and there is a more healthy consciousness. But I heard the diets in the south are pretty bad. My wife gets frustrated watching cooking shows when the chef starts saying things like, "It is easy to find, just go down to your local..." Wisconsin has a huge obesity problem.

Appleton definitely has better restaurants than Oshkosh. I'd argue downtown Appleton has more of a college feel than Oshkosh, which I mainly notice when I go to Target the weekend students move in. One benefit of Oshkosh is you are closer to Milwaukee or Madison, if you need to go there weekly.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:33 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,865,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Very true, however, once you cross Lynndale Dr you're in Grand Chute, "the land of big box everything."
Yup! Which is why I said Appleton

Old 07-31-2009, 11:36 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,073,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicePolishBoy View Post
The healthy living is relative. We have friends way out west and out east who have no problem getting good quality fruits and vegetables, they have many places to exercise, and there is a more healthy consciousness. But I heard the diets in the south are pretty bad. My wife gets frustrated watching cooking shows when the chef starts saying things like, "It is easy to find, just go down to your local..." Wisconsin has a huge obesity problem.

Appleton definitely has better restaurants than Oshkosh. I'd argue downtown Appleton has more of a college feel than Oshkosh, which I mainly notice when I go to Target the weekend students move in. One benefit of Oshkosh is you are closer to Milwaukee or Madison, if you need to go there weekly.
What the hell are you talking about? What's wrong with the produce in the supermarkets up in Appleton? What ingredients are you looking for that you can't seem to find? I guartantee you can find anything you'd ever want in the Fox Valley as far as food is concerned. I'll admit some grocery stores have a crappy selection of produce, like Piggly Wiggly, but then you have plenty of really nice grocery stores like Festival Foods, Woodman's, and Copp's. There are also numerous fitness facilities in the Fox Valley including a Gold's Gym, Athletica Fitness, Anytime Fitness, Bally's, as well as community rec centers and several YMCAs.

The vast majority of places in the Midwest aren't going to be very health conscious. Unless you live in a big city like Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Chicago, or else a college town like Madison, Ann Arbor, or Superior, then don't expect people to be health nuts like they are on the West Coast or Rocky Mountain states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin