Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 07:23 AM

22 posts, read 68,991 times

Advertisements

I have heard of the Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago, but I dont know anything about it. Is it better than the Milwaukee Zoo? Does Madison have a nice zoo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 07:44 AM

746 posts, read 2,175,740 times
Madison's zoo is not that big. I've never been to the one in IL, but I believe the Milwaukee Zoo is one of the biggest zoo's in the nation.
Milwaukee County Zoo

Old 07-28-2009, 07:48 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,018,343 times
The zoo in Madison ( Henry Vilas Zoo ) is a very nice one, for what it offers--park like setting by the lake, at no cost to visitors ( donations excepted ). Never meant to compete with the big boys; but enjoyable for kids as well as adults. The zoo in Milwaukee is a good large one for sure. Though i never hit the Chicago one, I would say the zoo up in the twin cities is an excellent option, if spending a weekend up there to hit some of the sites..

Old 07-28-2009, 08:14 AM

319 posts, read 634,316 times
Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago is nice. It's free, so it tends to get pretty packed. I think you still have to pay to park down there. Brookfield Zoo (also in the Chicago area) is, from what I remember, nicer than Lincoln Park is. They have those full immersion exhibits, where it seems like you're actually walking through the different habitats. Having said that, I love the Milwaukee Co. Zoo. Parking is pricy, but if you can get there early, there's parking up and down Bluemound. If you plan on taking a family of four more than two or three times, you might as well pop for the family membership. It lasts a year and you get free admission and parking. I think it costs right around $100.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:04 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,018,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeeproud View Post
Parking is pricy, but if you can get there early, there's parking up and down Bluemound. .
It's been a couple years since we hit that zoo, but I thought they put up signs so one couldn't park on the street anymore? I know we used to do it all the time years ago; but thought that had changed. I could of course be wrong.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:20 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,610,617 times
Hands down, Brookfield Zoo in suburban Chicago. Far surpasses Lincoln Park or Milwaukee.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:21 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,614,526 times
I like Brookfield and Milwaukee, both are great zoos. Considering the size of other zoos in the country (either acres or species), neither make the top ten list which isn't important. Most people would say San Diego is #1 but actually Columbus, Ohio tops many lists. My family loves going to the zoo and you can't beat Henry Doorly in Omaha, Nebraska, awesome indoor rain forest area, over an acre.

I look at overall quality and exhibits, small zoos for people with younger children are great. Manitowoc has a nice little zoo, compared to other zoos, teeny tiny but a fun place just the same. I go there just to walk some days and to check out the prairie dog exhibit, they make me smile!

Old 07-28-2009, 06:58 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,610,617 times
Milwaukee is a nice zoo, it surprised me. Havent seen the others you mentioned susan ,other then San Diego some time ago. All I remember were those Koalas,adorable. My kids were little and begged for one for Christmas ( Santa let them down,the stuffed ones they got didnt thrill)

Old 07-29-2009, 12:00 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,678,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr675 View Post
I have heard of the Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago, but I dont know anything about it. Is it better than the Milwaukee Zoo? Does Madison have a nice zoo?
I'd recommend the Milwaukee Zoo for northern IL or Southeastern WI. The Brookfield Zoo is nice also, but of course it's a longer trip from Adell.

If you haven't been to the Milwaukee County Zoo, go. You'll be surprised how good it is. I love zoos, and I've been to the San Diego zoo twice in the last year, and other zoos in other cities. Although San Diego is an excellent zoo, I think it's a little overrated in certain ways. Some of the animals aren't easily photographed in their habitats, which is disappointing to me. I prefer the larger, open habitats (San Diego recently opened one for elephants). However, the number of species at San Diego is huge, and it really is an all-day trip to go to that zoo. The best things at San Diego are the huge aviaries, the new elephant exhibit, the large birds, and the koala bear habitat. However, some of the other animals can be very difficult to spot, and often seem to be hiding from the sun.

This isn't about San Diego, however--so to answer your question:

Milwaukee has a number of very open, easily photographed habitats for animals. I enjoy the polar bears. The whole zoo will take you a big chunk of time to visit. Every out of town person I have recommended the Milwaukee County Zoo to, has been very impressed by the size and the ease of viewing most of the animals.

The Lincoln Park Zoo is nice if you are in the city, and Brookfield is great although it's been a very long time since I was there. I'm sure it's improved.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:44 AM

319 posts, read 634,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
It's been a couple years since we hit that zoo, but I thought they put up signs so one couldn't park on the street anymore? I know we used to do it all the time years ago; but thought that had changed. I could of course be wrong.
I think it's limited, but I'm pretty sure that you can park on the Zoo side of Bluemound from Hwy 100 to the bus stop that's right there. I'll double check next time we go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin