Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 09:43 AM

966 posts, read 2,445,737 times

Advertisements

Yes I would vote for it. My religious/spiritual/ideological beliefs are based on equality, inclusivity, and freedom of choice--with no exceptions to the rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 09:57 AM

204 posts, read 752,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Even in a secular society people get to use religion to inform their sociopolitical beliefs. People of all political stripes do it. Just ask the abolitionists and leaders of the civil rights movement.
There's a difference between using your religious beliefs to foster freedom or further oppression, though. Banning gay marriage is definitely a form of the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City
That's why I said I don't have a good answer.
At least you're honest and forthright about your bigotry.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:49 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
Whoa, This is why I try to stay away from controversial topics on here. All I was saying bedside's my religious beliefs and that's not a good answer b/c I agree with all of you that we shouldn't push religion onto others. Religious beliefs are a good reason for the person but not for the community policy to be based on. I have said in previous post that this is a tough one for me to decide that's why I leave it up to smarted minds to make the decision. And in the end it really doesn't matter to me b/c I will live my life and they will live theirs and chances are we will be good neighbors. However I think religion provides a good moral background to make judgments.

And at the same time I could say don't push your secular beliefs on me or your atheistic beliefs on me, that's why it's best to have a debate and let the voters decide not politicians.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:40 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
There's a difference between using your religious beliefs to foster freedom or further oppression, though. Banning gay marriage is definitely a form of the latter.
jjacobeclark made no such distinction. Take it up with him.

Quote:
And this right here is why it's impossible to have an open an honest debate on the subject. We couldn't even make it past page 2 before the ad hominem attacks came out. It doesn't really help the cause when you attack the very people you need to persuade to join your side.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:57 PM

701 posts, read 1,083,133 times
Ummmm........ How is it possible not to bring religion into this? Marriage is a religious institiution. It has everything to do with religion. It's not possible to have this discussion without bringing up God and religious beliefs.

Good luck with this Wisconsin

Old 08-05-2009, 03:48 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,074,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosX5 View Post
Ummmm........ How is it possible not to bring religion into this? Marriage is a religious institiution. It has everything to do with religion. It's not possible to have this discussion without bringing up God and religious beliefs.

Good luck with this Wisconsin
No, actually it doesn't. Marriage began long before religion as an exchange of property. Nothing more. There was nothing spiritual or romantic about it. For example, one man might trade one of his daughters to another man in exchange for a herd of goats. Later on in history, marriages were arranged to maintain or elevate the social status of a family. Same-sex marriages have also existed throughout history, even within Christianity.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:56 PM

701 posts, read 1,083,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
No, actually it doesn't. Marriage began long before religion as an exchange of property. Nothing more. There was nothing spiritual or romantic about it. For example, one man might trade one of his daughters to another man in exchange for a herd of goats. Later on in history, marriages were arranged to maintain or elevate the social status of a family. Same-sex marriages have also existed throughout history, even within Christianity.

I understand the need for that government piece of paper, especially for medical reasons, insurance and taxes. That's fine.......but I never really understood what the government has to do with marriage anyway

My marriage is a valid sacramental marriage within the Catholic Church and the government shouldn't have anything to do with that. It's between me and my husband and our sacramental agreement with the Lord. If homosexuals want to be "married" in the eyes of the government then so be it. I hope they get some tax breaks (Married, filing jointly) because we are going to need all the tax breaks we can get

Old 08-05-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosX5 View Post

I understand the need for that government piece of paper, especially for medical reasons, insurance and taxes. That's fine.......but I never really understood what the government has to do with marriage anyway

My marriage is a valid sacramental marriage within the Catholic Church and the government shouldn't have anything to do with that. It's between me and my husband and our sacramental agreement with the Lord. If homosexuals want to be "married" in the eyes of the government then so be it. I hope they get some tax breaks (Married, filing jointly) because we are going to need all the tax breaks we can get
History of same-sex unions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When Same-Sex Marriage Was a Christian Rite - Colfax Record (http://colfaxrecord.com/detail/91429.html - broken link)

Old 08-11-2009, 12:22 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,828,690 times
NO!

whats next you want to marry a dog who can consent

Old 08-11-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
NO!

whats next you want to marry a dog who can consent
Right, because everyone knows the "movement" to legalize gay marriage is really just a front for people in favor of loosening bestiality laws.

SMH X 1000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
View detailed profiles of: