Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2007, 08:39 PM

1 posts, read 14,501 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to La Crosse, WI and we don't have any family there. Honestly, we know nothing about the city rather than it is very beautiful and green. We want to buy a house there asap, but we don't know what location is good and quality for a family. Could anyone please tell us what neighborhood is the best and what part of the city we should avoid by all means?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 03:21 AM

203 posts, read 543,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattie View Post
My husband and I are moving to La Crosse, WI and we don't have any family there. Honestly, we know nothing about the city rather than it is very beautiful and green. We want to buy a house there asap, but we don't know what location is good and quality for a family. Could anyone please tell us what neighborhood is the best and what part of the city we should avoid by all means?
i just recently moved back from las Vegas back to lacrosse, id say all of lacrosse is pretty safe nothing thats really bad like in a big city. the only area i would avoid is neighborhoods around downtown lacrosse which are really rundown lots of minorities live their . also lacrosse has no jobs plus high property taxes. hope this helps

Old 08-15-2007, 01:29 PM

27,229 posts, read 27,292,917 times
I dont know but LaCrosse and Middleton were two places I wanted to check out, next visit. Every time I go to WI I almost dont come back!

Old 08-15-2007, 05:53 PM

7 posts, read 57,146 times
You could save about one third in property taxes by living across the river from La Crosse in La Crescent. Downtown La Crosse is not, I repeat not, run down or "full of minorities". I don't know what Xfiles is up to. Also look at Holmen, Onalaska, Shelby, West Salem. Middleton is very expensive, but also nice.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:39 PM

49 posts, read 127,729 times
Default Native from LaCrosse

LaCrosse has the biggest job market in the area. Jobs are pretty low paying every where though, unless it's in the medical field because we have 2 major hospitals. It depends if you have a degree for some positions ($20,000 to 30,000). For housing definately check into Onalaska a 15 min. comute to LaCrosse or Holmen 25 mins. away. The houses are much newer and nicer, and the price isn't that much higher. Some people really like this area and others not so much. The winters are my least favorite time here, roads need plowed before you can drive and nobody wants to be outdoors cause it is soo cold. LaCrosse or Lax is a family driven community with little violent crime, but it is also known as a college drinking town, as we hold the record for most bars on one street. The downtown area is literaly bar after bar after bar. The city gets alot of its revenue from the drunk fests that we have, Oktoberfest and Riverfest.I hope this helps you get a better insight of LaCrosse.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 13,745 times
Default many options

There are a lot of options for someone moving to the area. In the past 1 1/2 years I have looked at a lot of properties in the area shopping for my next house. You can find some very nice places just out of town, or in one of the many surrounding communities. If you want to be right in LaCrosse, I think overall the houses in the heart of town running west ave (12th) to Losey, and Madison to the UW-LaCrosse campus are some of the nicest kept properties. These tend to be older homes, many beautiful craftsman/prairie style houses. If you take a drive through this area I think you will see what I mean. The problem with living further out is a hairy commute into LaCrosse in the am. I bought an old house closer to downtown. With gas prices what they are, I think those neighborhoods will become more popular to fix up and live closer to the old downtown areas.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:39 AM

10 posts, read 40,251 times
I was born and raised in La Crosse, living there for 25 years. If you are looking to raise a family, I would suggest living on the south side of La Crosse, as it is a more family oriented section of town. Areas east of Losey Blvd adjacent to the bluffs are nice for raising a family. I would check out the areas by Shelby, especially down by the old Hillview Golf Course. The neighborhoods east of Harry Spence Elementary school are also nice as well.

I would stay away from the neighborhoods close to downtown, and near the college campuses. There are a lot of student housing here, and the area is a lot more active. The north side of town is also older, and again, not the best area to raise a family.

I can provide you with a lot more info if you need it. Please let me know if I can help you further.

Good luck!

Old 05-07-2008, 12:08 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,887,658 times
Why was this bumped?

Anyway, all I have to add is that moving to a city that you don't know anything about is a BAD IDEA. Seriously.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 12,446 times
Default Home for sale in Onalaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattie View Post
Hello;

I just read your posting this morning. If you are still looking for a home I have an fantastic one for sale in Onalaska, WI - in the "Elmwood Hills" development. It is withing walking distance to shops and the best schools in the area. Elmwood is one of the older "developments" - it is hilly with plenty of developed trees, grass, etc. The house is a one level ranch style. The back yard is totally private wood beyond the yard area. 4 bedrooms, unfinished basement, 3 bathrooms, two fireplaces, 3 car garage, deck w/hot tub, etc. The development is smaller- the only cars that enter live there. I have renters in there now. I am currently living and schooling at Penn State.

If you are interested, please give me a call.

Penny
(814) 207-0077
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin