Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 09:41 AM

98 posts, read 340,095 times

Advertisements

My husband, 3 cats and I are relocating to the US in jan 2007.
We have been living in France (Europe) since 2003.
We came to France to take care of my dying grand-mother.
Before that we were living in Shenandoah, Va.
We are looking at a number of places to go back to and we would appreciate any feedbacks.

My Husband is American and has 15 years working experience in the field of printing. I guess is work area is production/manufacturing.
I am French/American. I have a B.S degree in Family Studies.
I have always been a jack of all trades. I have worked as a bookkeeper, debt collector, financial counselor, tax preparer, personal assistant, sales clerck, housecleaner, babysitter......

I am looking for a place that would have a diversified economy, job growth, tolerance towards different race, nationality and religion.
Also low cost housing: we will be looking for a house under 200K.

Any feedbacks would be appreciate...
If you can think of any towns that would fit my requirements tell me about it.
Thank you in advance
Johnnybandfreak
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2006, 12:21 PM

2 posts, read 16,387 times
Wisconsin is a wonderful state, especially the smaller towns. We live in a town called Baldwin which is about 45 minutes away from the Twin Cities. It is very nice and the people are very friendly. If you want to live in a city, I would go to Madison. It has some great culture and of course, its also the state capital. Plus, it's smaller than Milwaukee, which I think is a big plus.

Old 07-09-2006, 01:28 PM

483 posts, read 1,214,726 times
With 15 years of printing experience he shouldn't have any problems getting into Quad Graphics, which is one of the main companies in Wisconsin. I think they have locations in Sussex, Pewaukee, West Allis(All close to Milwaukee), Lomira, and maybe a few other places. Lomira is in Dodge County, a little more "country" if you will. You should take a look at Sussex or West Allis though, West Allis being in Milwaukee County and Sussex being in Waukesha County.

Old 07-09-2006, 04:15 PM

246 posts, read 325,790 times
With 15 yrs printing experience you should also look around Appleton & Neenah. That area has tons of paper and printing companies. Google the Chamber of Commerce for both towns and you'll see how big the printing business is there.

Second the idea of QuadGraphics. They are a huge outfit here in Milwaukee. Also rated consistently as one of the best places to work!

Magpies

Old 07-09-2006, 04:34 PM

45 posts, read 246,983 times
Speaking of Appleton and Neenah you will also have a beautiful lake (Winnebago) to go to during the summer weekends. Awesome area that you should look into.

Old 07-10-2006, 12:30 PM

Default Lakes

I was told that Neenah was quite nice.
The pictures of the town are something else, mostly the lake.
johnnybandfreak

Old 07-11-2006, 03:32 AM

2 posts, read 18,810 times
Default Also try Hartford

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidex
With 15 years of printing experience he shouldn't have any problems getting into Quad Graphics, which is one of the main companies in Wisconsin. I think they have locations in Sussex, Pewaukee, West Allis(All close to Milwaukee), Lomira, and maybe a few other places.
They also have a fairly large plant in Hartford; the city itself is in Washington County, but the factory is actually just across the county line in Dodge County. Hartford is another great place. It's not too small but not too large of a town (~12,000). It's also within a 30 min drive to the Milwaukee metro area, ~70 miles from Madison. Plenty of friendly people, culture, and home to one of the best restaurants in the state.

Old 07-11-2006, 07:45 AM

Default One more question

Thank you for all the names of town.
A lot of choices.
I do have one more question: What is the deal with tornadoes?
johnnybandfreak

Old 07-11-2006, 04:07 PM

8 posts, read 40,622 times
If you like Lakes you should like Wisconsin!! We have Lake Superior & Lake Michigan & thousands of lakes in between. There are plenty of towns better than Neenah though. Keep looking. hat area is polluted - well look at all the printing & paper production that goes on there! DO NOT locate in a town with a papermill whatever you do. Those things reek!! For example, stay clear of Mosinee!!! Lake Winnebago is fairly run of the mill as far as lakes go. What the heck, check out Baraboo or Eau Claire or LaCrosse. I went to college in Eau Claire, nice city. Baraboo sure has the entertainment being next door to Wisconsin Dells.

Old 07-11-2006, 04:49 PM

46 posts, read 258,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscNativeAmerican
If you like Lakes you should like Wisconsin!! We have Lake Superior & Lake Michigan & thousands of lakes in between. There are plenty of towns better than Neenah though. Keep looking. hat area is polluted - well look at all the printing & paper production that goes on there! DO NOT locate in a town with a papermill whatever you do. Those things reek!! For example, stay clear of Mosinee!!! Lake Winnebago is fairly run of the mill as far as lakes go. What the heck, check out Baraboo or Eau Claire or LaCrosse. I went to college in Eau Claire, nice city. Baraboo sure has the entertainment being next door to Wisconsin Dells.
What do YOU like to do for recreation? For example, if you like sailing, Lake Winnebago would be ideal and LaCrosse would be poor. If you like night life and cultural events, Milwaukee or Madison would be fine, but Tomah would be poor. Everyone has different ideals and pleasures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin