U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 5,517 times

Advertisements

I am researching vacation/future retirement property in the Mauston area. I know that a lot of small towns are rather closed minded when it comes to newcomers..... Can anyone fill me in a little bit on the nature/feel/people/openness/, etc. of this area? Does it tend to be conservative/liberal/in between? I would be living there in the summers (I am a teacher in the Chicago area) and perhaps full time when I retire - within 8-10 years. I don't want to buy or build a home only to find out that I am not comfortable there! Thanks for any and all input!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2006, 06:26 AM

54 posts, read 296,280 times
I'm not sure about the Mauston area but I think you might want to consider the Tomah area. (i'm very familar with this area) Mauston seems a little to small for me. (4800?I've done some business there.)
Tomah is about 8500 people and its just 30 more miles north of Mauston ( just off I90 and I-94) I think they are very friendly and a little different than most cities that size, because Tomah is next to two military bases I think it keeps the small town people a little more forward thinking, because there are many different types of people from all parts of the US. They come and go. I've known quite a few people that have retired in this area and they like it.

Old 07-19-2006, 03:51 PM

32 posts, read 93,715 times
Question Live in Mauston or Tomah

Tomah is considered a drug town in this area... then again so is Mauston, to some. If you are trying to escape the crime in Chicago, Most small towns don't do much in that area anymore. We just had a high profile murder just outside Mauston last year. Tomah had a weekend of Native Americans against White people last Summer also. You can not escape all crime, even in a small town.

As for the people... Well, you are right, most small towns are not too 'keen' on new folk. I am an Army Brat, and even though my family originates from this small town of Mauston, it took years for me to fit in once we moved 'home'. After you've been around for a few years, though, they tend to forget you were new... unless you try to open a business or get into politics. LOL

Mauston is not a big 'party town' like Tomah is... but, then again that means there is not a lot to do in town on weekends usually either. We do offer a small fair and some other events in the summer though and Castle Rock lake offers boating, fishing, camping, sight seeing, etc. I think the people out in that area, between Mauston and Necedah, are a little more 'friendly' since they have more tourists and people like you living out there in the Summers. Then again, that is the area that the murder took place also.

If you ask me... I think your best bet would be to come here and visit a few times before you make your decission.

Hope I've been helpful.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:25 PM

14 posts, read 74,140 times
My parents retired to Mauston over twenty years ago and loved every minute of it. The area is beautiful, with many large, state and natonal parks. If you like fishing, hunting, hiking and boating you would be very happy there. There is abundant wild life including deer and turkey with wolves and black bears making a comeback.
In the last ten or so years the area has developed tremendously. The lakefronts (Petenwell and Castle Rock) and adjoining areas are developing, with many Chicagoans building vacation homes and permanent residences.
I have found the locals to be friendly and open. My parents weren't particularly outgoing but they made many friends.
The housing was inexpensive compared to suburban Chicago. My parents traded their ranch style home for a three bedroom, log cabin with attached 2 1/2 car garage, 6 wooded acres and a one acre, spring-fed pond.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:23 PM

20 posts, read 80,117 times
I lived in Mauston for 3 years. I felt very welcomed. The hospital is excellent and serves the whole county and a bit of Adams Co as well. The town could do more to enhance its aesthetic appearance. There is a nice park, a county fair, a clean river, and good fishing nearby. It is an hour from Madison, which is also the closest shopping mall/restaurant selection area. Mauston was a little small for my taste so I picked out a wife and moved to a more temperate climate!

Old 03-30-2008, 09:14 PM

5 posts, read 13,638 times
I hope you didn't decide on property here in Mauston. I've lived here 7 years this July. You don't want to come here. People are very rude. Just today, I was at Festival Foods. When I was leaving in my car, the man pulling into the spot next to mine crashed my cart, which I'd left next to my car, into my fender! What he'd failed to recognize was 1) there was a man 10 feet away retrieving carts and 2) there were any number of front row spaces he could have just as well pulled into instead of choosing to smash my cart into my car. The nerve of some people. Less than a month ago, I was driving home from work (in Tomah). I was nearly home, and was so thankful since the roads were havoc and I'd been driving for 40 minutes, not my usual 30. Then a man cut me off. Driving west on Hwy 82 appraoching the stoplights at Hwy 58. He just swerved from behind me, cut around me on the right while riding up on the rear-end of the man in the right-lane just to pass me to try to get through the upcoming stop-light. This town is MAD!! I tell you MAD!! You don't want to come here. I'm getting out soon. Tonight was the straw that broke the camels back, as they say, and I'm outta here.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:41 PM

38,704 posts, read 93,452,091 times
So... you resurrected a thread that's been dormant for a year to relate that, in the 7 years you've lived there, you can recall one act of rudeness and one act of aggressive driving. Gosh, how did you ever cope?

Old 03-31-2008, 12:34 PM

12,766 posts, read 12,539,081 times
Still begs the question, why did you leave your cart in a parking space, could have been avoided if you took the time to walk it over to the fellow collecting them. You see him as being wrong but you caused it by leaving the cart.

Life is too short to get upset about how other people act and drive, let your frustration and anger go, you'll live longer. I came from the Chicago area to Wisconsin, and I really appreciate the more courteous drivers, more relaxed atmosphere. If I got upset about things in parking lots or driving habits in Illinois, I'd be a basket case. Don't stress over things you have no control over.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:39 PM

9 posts, read 35,637 times
We lived in Mauston for 11 years. Made many friends, miss some of them. Area is very rural but I believe basically friendly. If you are looking for privacy, there are lots of rural properties up in the woods around Castle Rock and Petenwell lakes that are affordable and private. Very little downtown so you have to drive to get clothing, etc. Grocery store is Pick-N-Save (not Festival) and I liked their selection. They cater to the Chicago crowd in the summers and their deli carries some specialty items (like petit fours and bakalava). Traffic is heavy in the summers and you pretty much stay home on the weekends but can be out and about easily during the week days. Lots of good restaurants serving wonderful fish frys for Friday nights, Dells is close for any entertainment; Madison or LaCrosse are your major shopping areas. You will find a few strange people around there because there are still people who live off the land up in the woods there but they don't cause any problems. Townspeople divide you into either the "lake people" or the "locals" but like your money in their businesses either way. Good hospital - I worked there and loved it. There are negatives and pluses - you just have to decide how many of each you can tolerate. Why not rent a place out by the lake for a week or two and find out yourself before you commit to buying? Might give you an idea about the lifestyle that Mauston can offer.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:32 PM

32 posts, read 93,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
So... you resurrected a thread that's been dormant for a year to relate that, in the 7 years you've lived there, you can recall one act of rudeness and one act of aggressive driving. Gosh, how did you ever cope?
Sorry... but, I live in Mauston and I have to agree with her. I've seen more rudeness here than anywhere else I've lived, and I grew up as an Army brat. One more year, when my son graduates from H.S., and Im outta here too!

Im sure her comment was put here because it just seemed like the place to do it... since it is probably the only blog on here dealing with Mauston. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin