Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 03:36 PM

3 posts, read 15,472 times

Advertisements

My husband and I and our 4 children will be moving to La Crosse area for a job offer. My husbands new job will be out of Sparta, but I see so much good information about La Crosse and ONalaska, that this seems the place to be. We are coming from Janesville, WI.

With his job being in Sparta, were are good places to live? (important factors are: good schools, low crime, nice area... not run down)

This is the place will will be raising our kids, so the schools and the type of people and local kids are very important. The cities we are looking at are Sparta, Onalaska, Tomah, West Salem or La Crosse.

Thanks for the advice!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 03:50 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,803,309 times
Onalaska.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:45 PM

3 posts, read 15,472 times
Onalaska does seem like a good area. We are going there this weekend to check it out. Can someone give me some information on the schools, or churches in the area? I know Onalaska has all the shopping and everything is there, but is Tomah and Sparta ok, too?

Old 10-01-2009, 09:00 PM

620 posts, read 1,837,979 times
Coulee Guy (David) would be the one to chime in here - he's a newcomer to La Crosse and loves it!

Old 10-02-2009, 09:44 AM

1,340 posts, read 2,803,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojuvanlaanen View Post
Onalaska does seem like a good area. We are going there this weekend to check it out. Can someone give me some information on the schools, or churches in the area? I know Onalaska has all the shopping and everything is there, but is Tomah and Sparta ok, too?
Every place in W. WI is ok-just Onalaska schools are probaly better as there is a bit higher socio-economic situation, as a bedroom town to LaCrosse it doesn't have to try to be all things to all people.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:47 PM

279 posts, read 760,118 times
Tomah's a dump, don't live there - it's basically just a big truck stop.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:13 AM

63 posts, read 227,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
Onalaska.
That's a generic response. I moved away from La Crosse a few years back, but since the town doesnt change much, my knowledge is still valid.
The whole area is great, whether is bit Onalaska, La Crosse, Holmen, La Crescent or West Salem.

Onalaska: Low crime, good schools, lower taxes, close to shopping.
La Crosse: Close to all the "events", good schools with the MOST class offerings (especially AP if your kids are college bound), high taxes (2nd highest in the state of WI behind Milwaukee), some crime, but it's non-violent crimes like property theft and is very much dependent on what neighborhood you are in.
Holmen: Low crime, good schools (but due to the huge growth, they run the risk of larger class sizes due to overcrowding), quick drive to shopping thanks to the freeway, moderate taxes (that run the risk of rising due to the need for more school buildings)
West Salem: Easier drive to Sparta, long drive to La Crosse, good schools but due to it being a smaller district has smaller offerings in terms of the classes your children can take, in between Holmen and Onalaska for taxes.
La Crescent: Low Minnesota property taxes, very quick drive downtown or to the mall area on the interstate, I dont have much knowledge on their schools, low crime.

If I lived there today I would live off 33 past Irish Hill and open enroll any children into the La Crosse school district in Longfellow for middle school and Central for high school. Although you need a pretty good income to live up there. It use to be possible to get into those schools, but they might not allow that currently as most parents want their kids to go there. In your situation your best bet, due to the commute to sparta, would be to live in Onalaska in the onalaska school district (the city is split half Holmen schools/half Onalaska schools). The lower taxes, low crime, good schools, good neighborhoods, close proximately to the interstate, and close shopping make it an ideal location. Plus most houses there whether renting or buying are kept up well (although there's always the exception).

Old 10-07-2009, 09:23 PM

6 posts, read 25,106 times
I live in Sparta its an okay town for 8000 (I dont care for small towns), nice neighbors, friendly people. And of course very cheap houses from 80,000 to 130,000 depending on how big of a house you want.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:13 AM

49 posts, read 128,187 times
I have lived in La Crosse for 20 years and Onalaska for 5. Onalaska is the best place for schools (hands down) according to the school districts publications, the test scores are higher and less problems such as detentions and expulsions. My children like Onalaska better too. Onalaska has less crime and has a great shopping areas that are almost separate from residential areas. Housing is a little more pricey, but you can find good housing spots that are a bit lower. Skip Sparta! The other towns are all so close that it makes travel easy. I work in La Crosse and am there daily, it is literally 5-10 min away. There is an open enrollment policy at the schools, so children from different districts can commute to the area to attend school. Many out of towners come to Onalaska for school.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:21 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,408,674 times
I was checking greatschools.org... not because I have a child's education to be concerned about yet, but because I was curious how the schools I went to rated.

That's a good site. I was on it a long time just looking stuff up. I was eyeballing all kinds of Wisconsin schools and Onalaska's appear to be top-notch. I think LaCrosse's ranked pretty well too. Might want to check out that site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin