Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2009, 10:03 PM

365 posts, read 1,006,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
Winter? lol. That's one thing, I'm not much for winter. Also I wish the job market was stronger so I could find a new one. Actually, I really wish there was more business downtown, we've only got two tall buildings but each is about half full with tenants. In some ways downtown is great with restaurants and night life but in that way, lacking.

Otherwise... it's not Utopia or anything but we think it has a good mix of amenities and is a good place to raise the kids. We've been here for about 8-9 years. My other pick for the state would be Madison, actually.

BTW, if you're looking for a house a few minutes out of the city, try in the town of Menasha (west of 41), the town of Harrison (east of 441), or Greenville (north-west of Appleton down hwy 15)
You suggested looking west of hwy 41 in Menasha, but in your previous post you said it smelled throughout the city of Menasha. Does it not smell west of 41?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 07:51 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,849,267 times
The paper plant in Menasha is in the city of Menasha, on the east side of Little Lake Butte de Morts on Tayco St and the wind generally blowsto the east. The town of Menasha is west of there, on the other side of the lake and of hwy41. My wife's work is over there as well as my kids' old daycare; there's some industry in that area but I don't recall the paper smell out that way. Google map Tayco St for city and Jacobson Rd for township and you'll get a visual.

So the city of Menasha gets some paper smell but the township not so much. But now that I'm thinking of it, town of Harrison is east of Menasha (city), SE of Appleton, and they might get some of that paper goodness. I don't make it out there much. But both these townships have newer affordable homes, rather spaced out which is why I suggested them. The paper breeze isn't the end of the world, so if you decide it's not so bad these areas could meet your other criteria.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:56 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,858,112 times
We've lived in Appleton for 3 1/2 years and, as sensitive to smells as I am, I have to say it is rare to get that stinky air from the mills. I don't think you'll have a problem if you choose Appleton. From your list of 4 towns, the only other one I would consider is Kimberly. I don't care for Menasha. It feels rather run down to me, although not as bad as Oshkosh. Kaukauna definitely has a problem with odors from the mill.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:07 PM

6 posts, read 24,667 times
I had same concern about smell when we moved to Appleton about 7 years ago. It really doesn't come up too often but when it does you do notice it. We chose Appleton (even with the occasional smell) over other areas because we liked the neighborhoods, school systems and entertainment. there are some good places to eat, the Performing Arts Center, Art Museum and the Farmers Market downtown is nice to go to. If we had to pick again where to live it would still be Appleton (in this area).

For finding space you might find a house in Appleton on a larger lot otherwise you'll need to check around the perimeter of the city to find some more open space. You won't be in walking distance of activities but driving around here is much easier than in bigger cities.

hope this helps. good luck with your decision.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:27 PM

Thanks for all your input
I think Appleton would be a good fit vs Madison since we won't be able to afford to stay here in retirement. The median home cost & cost of living is less, and it's a more conservative city. There seems to be plenty of retail & things to do. I do wish there was more biking options, I guess we'd have to leave the city to get to any trails to ride. I don't really see anywhere to hike either. How is it for a walking city? I know we can get our fill of disc golf in & around the city. Seems like there's plenty of options for health care. I guess I should mention that we'd be looking to buy a house for around $125,000. I did research & some of those other smaller cities close by have a higher median home cost, so we'd get less house for our money. I also like the fact that crime is not an issue.
A question, would any of you rather live in Madison? If not, why? What's better in Appleton then Madison?
Another of our options is Sheboygan or Manitowoc, any thoughts or experiences regarding those places? I know they are smaller & don't offer as much, but there is the lake & beaches, along with hiking & biking & disc golf.
We will make a point of making a trip or two to the areas to help us figure out what feels right to us, everyone should do that before making such a big move.
We better wait until next spring, so we drive around with the windows down to figure out where to stay clear of

Old 10-11-2009, 06:34 AM

I haven't been to Sheboygan or Manitowoc in a long time. Sheboygan is a bit run down and a bit crime-y according to two separate friends who've lived there in recent years. I can't imagine either place having much of a job market; the ship factory in Manitowoc was laying off alot of people over the last year and I don't even know what else is out there. It's too bad to have to put employment first when choosing where to live, but you have to make a living too!

P.S. The fox valley (Appleton area) is right on Lake Winnebego and High Cliff St Park is just up the road a few minutes. It's got some nice hiking trails and such

Old 10-11-2009, 04:18 PM

39 posts, read 127,997 times
We lived in Appleton for over 5 years and I miss it alot. The shopping was great and all concentrated near the mall. There were only a few days that I remember being able to smell the mills, and most of them were in the summer so the windows were closed anyway.

As far as hiking, we had that problem too. High Cliff has a few nice hiking trails, but for some fun hiking drive a few hours north to Door County. With all the state parks there are plenty of trails to choose from.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:25 PM

279 posts, read 757,806 times
There's a stench all the way up highway 41 starting south of oshkosh all the way up to green bay. The two worst locations are Kaukauna and Wrightstown, but the smell is present just about everywhere.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:12 PM

It's funny how some people say the smell isn't bad, but in a couple of areas, then someone else comes along & says it stinks all the way up hwy. 41 from Oshkosh to Green Bay, so which is it?

yo vanilla..
Jobs are not an issue for us, when we chose where to move to, it will be for retirement....no jobs needed. But, enjoying the things we like to do & being not to far from shopping does matter

MidwestHiker...
If you liked living in Appleton, why did you move? Since we'd plenty of time, I'm sure we can find places to hike within an hour or two, but it's nice to have something close by. The same goes for biking. We like to keep active & enjoy the outdoors, although not so much in the winter.

At this point, the plan was to move in about a year, but now it's possible it may have to wait one more year. Retirement plans just might be put on hold.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:55 AM

Lucky! I wish I was retiring

I don't know where Wellstone lives, but I've lived in Oshkosh and then Appleton since 1997. I guess you'll have to take a visit and see (er, smell) for yourself)

Another idea for you could be Sturgeon Bay? Then you're a stones throw from all kinds of outdoorsy stuff in Door County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin