U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2009, 08:48 AM

497 posts, read 1,074,194 times

Advertisements

Am looking to retire in a few years. I've visited Wisconsin and am interested in possibly buying a retirement home there. I'd love to be near the Mississippi. Can anyone tell me about Trempealeau? How are the people? Over run with tourists? Housing prices?

I don't want some big, fancy home on the water. Not interested in spending over $100,000 and would rather stay under that. It's just me and all I want is a small home in decent shape. Does not need to be new. Am willing to do some fix-up. I've looked at some homes for sale online and the area of 3rd St. to 5th St. seem possible, but it's so hard to tell. While the houses seem to be in my price range, it's hard to tell what the surrounding area is like.

I'd sure appreciate anything anyone could tell me about the area. Is it worth me making a trip this Spring to check out myself?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 11:41 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,086 posts, read 34,911,619 times
Did you look at the Google Maps street view? It covers the area along the Great River Road there. The link below will show you the corner of Main and 3rd. Click and drag in the picture to look around and move around.

maps trempealeau - Google Maps

Old 10-23-2009, 01:42 PM

149 posts, read 287,268 times
I live in La Crosse (whole life) and we are only 25 minutes or so from Trempealeau.. I've been there numerous time (mostly for Catfish Days...mid July)... All i can say is its a quiet, clean, "normal" small town in Wisconsin. Nothing really sticks out. No traffic lights, a few bars, gas station... There is a dam there (Mississippi River) and railroad tracks go through right along the river. Very pretty view of the Minnesota bluffs depending on where you are standing in town.

Fishing is good, La Crosse and Winona are close. Holmen is even closer (and really GROWING). Lots of apples grown up there, strawberries in the spring.

Biggest downfall is the weather. This whole area has really crappy winters. I hope that is something you are use to/prepared for. Winter last year started about Nov 12 and didn't let up until March. During that time its a good idea to escape to Mexico or Florida at least once, or ten times! Spring/Summer are usually decent. Fall is usually decent, except this year OCT has been horribly cold/wet. We also usually have a lot of springtime severe weather, but not this year.

House prices seem "normal' to me around here? Property taxes aren't exactly low. Schools are above avg. Very good hospitals in La Crosse (Gunderson/St. Francis (Mayo)), plus Madison is 2 hrs, Rochester is an hour, and Minneapolis is 2 hours.

People? Other then being on the fat side of things, people around this area seem decent to me? The smaller towns seem to have plenty of farmer types.

I'd live there

Old 10-23-2009, 08:04 PM

12,796 posts, read 12,605,749 times
Good luck in your search, nice area of the state! I moved from NE Illinois to Wisconsin two years ago and I'm quite happy. Two Rivers is around 12,000 people, next to Manitowoc over 30,000.

I've always lived fairly close to the lake so that was important plus I have a sister in upper Michigan. She and I were 6 hrs. apart, now 180 miles, which is nice.

I'm retired so my move wasn't depending on a job. Wisconsin no longer taxes social security for seniors so that swayed me.

You can find quite a few posts about the property tax issue by doing a search. My take is I look at the big picture and what I'm getting for my money. Peace, quiet, small town life appeals to me!

Old 10-26-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Did you look at the Google Maps street view? It covers the area along the Great River Road there. The link below will show you the corner of Main and 3rd. Click and drag in the picture to look around and move around.

maps trempealeau - Google Maps

Thank you! I never even thought of that. It does give me some insight. Look like older homes..some nicer than others. I've checked on the crime statistics and they seem nearly non-existant.

Am considering opening some sort of Antique Shop. Would the Tourist trade support such a business?

Old 10-26-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktank232 View Post
I live in La Crosse (whole life) and we are only 25 minutes or so from Trempealeau.. I've been there numerous time (mostly for Catfish Days...mid July)... All i can say is its a quiet, clean, "normal" small town in Wisconsin. Nothing really sticks out. No traffic lights, a few bars, gas station... There is a dam there (Mississippi River) and railroad tracks go through right along the river. Very pretty view of the Minnesota bluffs depending on where you are standing in town.

Fishing is good, La Crosse and Winona are close. Holmen is even closer (and really GROWING). Lots of apples grown up there, strawberries in the spring.

Biggest downfall is the weather. This whole area has really crappy winters. I hope that is something you are use to/prepared for. Winter last year started about Nov 12 and didn't let up until March. During that time its a good idea to escape to Mexico or Florida at least once, or ten times! Spring/Summer are usually decent. Fall is usually decent, except this year OCT has been horribly cold/wet. We also usually have a lot of springtime severe weather, but not this year.

House prices seem "normal' to me around here? Property taxes aren't exactly low. Schools are above avg. Very good hospitals in La Crosse (Gunderson/St. Francis (Mayo)), plus Madison is 2 hrs, Rochester is an hour, and Minneapolis is 2 hours.

People? Other then being on the fat side of things, people around this area seem decent to me? The smaller towns seem to have plenty of farmer types.

I'd live there

Thank you. You gave me some good info. The Winters do scare me a bit. I am thinking of opening a Shop of some sort, and don't want to spend 6 months of the year slipping and sliding to work. Plus, I am concerned with the long Winter if it affects the Tourism. The Shop I am thinking of opening would greatly depend on Tourism.

Not a fan of fishing, so that would not lure me at all. I understand the area is big on fishing and hunting. Not an appeal to me. I am hoping to find a good church and social activities. I am not the type to sit around the cafe and drink coffee all day. Would much rather be out walking, biking or hiking. That was part of the draw to the area...all the trails. But, I had not considered the long Winters. That could be a deterrent.

Guess I need to make a trip and see for myself. The Google earth streetview of the area I was intrested in looks a bit older and worn than I had hoped. The houses look as if they could end up costing much more to renovate than I'd anticipated.

Haven't ruled it out and sure do thank you for your help and information. Are the people friendly? The schools don't apply, but I do have concerns about good medical facilities. Are there plenty of Dr's. in the area? I realize I would have to drive to a larger town, but would want to know I was close to a good hospital.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:28 AM

149 posts, read 287,268 times
Tourism? During the summer we have a lot of people come into town. There is also OctoberFest in La Crosse which is very big in late Sept and Riverfest in July which is big. All the small towns have fairs through the summer. The river is a huge draw for people in the summer. Hunting is huge in the fall up here.

I would say the toughest would be that Nov-March time period. Even our stores here in town turn into ghost towns in winter! (except WalMart!, which we have 2 of...both superwalmarts).

People? No problems there. It isn't NY or the east coast, that is for sure! In my opinion, people up here are the nicest your going to find.

I wouldn't worry about medical care up here, its some of the best in the US. Mayo is an hour away, and Gunderson, in my opinion is just as good and a half hour from Tremp.

This area of Wisconsin is overall one of the warmer spots of the state, but its still cold... I'm a weather nerd and follow it closely over the past 10 years and i would say we avg a least a few days when the temp is -20F or lower and a few days when the temp doesn't reach 0F. That can happen anytime between Dec and March... It does seem that if we do get that cold, we usually rebound nicely back into the 30's or even 40... Too me the snow is the bigger annoyance then the cold. Get yourself some good car tires..they make a huge difference. The past few winters have been very snowy, so i'm guessing we should flip back to some below normal snowfall winters or so i hope. Big snowfalls are rare, but we did have a 20 inch snowfall just a few years back. Usually we get these little clippers that drop 2-4 inches...and then it'll get sunny and cold afterwards.

There are a lot of small river towns up here. You have Wisconsin/MN and Iowa all real close... Could check out Fountain City just to the north, Lansing, IA to the south, Hokah, MN, Stoddard, WI, Prairie Du Chien is a lot bigger and is further south (little warmer).... Red Wing is up more towards MSP. I'm not a huge river fan, but i don't think id ever live anywhere without a major lake, river or ocean nearby!

Best thing you can do is make a trip and see for yourself. My sister has to move from Omaha, NE to Appleton, WI (about 8hrs) and her plan is just to spend a few days there looking at homes.

Try Microsoft maps Live view... its better then google
Your web browser and the Maps site are incompatible

zoom into that area and click on bird's eye

Old 10-26-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktank232 View Post
Tourism? During the summer we have a lot of people come into town. There is also OctoberFest in La Crosse which is very big in late Sept and Riverfest in July which is big. All the small towns have fairs through the summer. The river is a huge draw for people in the summer. Hunting is huge in the fall up here.

I would say the toughest would be that Nov-March time period. Even our stores here in town turn into ghost towns in winter! (except WalMart!, which we have 2 of...both superwalmarts).

People? No problems there. It isn't NY or the east coast, that is for sure! In my opinion, people up here are the nicest your going to find.

I wouldn't worry about medical care up here, its some of the best in the US. Mayo is an hour away, and Gunderson, in my opinion is just as good and a half hour from Tremp.

This area of Wisconsin is overall one of the warmer spots of the state, but its still cold... I'm a weather nerd and follow it closely over the past 10 years and i would say we avg a least a few days when the temp is -20F or lower and a few days when the temp doesn't reach 0F. That can happen anytime between Dec and March... It does seem that if we do get that cold, we usually rebound nicely back into the 30's or even 40... Too me the snow is the bigger annoyance then the cold. Get yourself some good car tires..they make a huge difference. The past few winters have been very snowy, so i'm guessing we should flip back to some below normal snowfall winters or so i hope. Big snowfalls are rare, but we did have a 20 inch snowfall just a few years back. Usually we get these little clippers that drop 2-4 inches...and then it'll get sunny and cold afterwards.

There are a lot of small river towns up here. You have Wisconsin/MN and Iowa all real close... Could check out Fountain City just to the north, Lansing, IA to the south, Hokah, MN, Stoddard, WI, Prairie Du Chien is a lot bigger and is further south (little warmer).... Red Wing is up more towards MSP. I'm not a huge river fan, but i don't think id ever live anywhere without a major lake, river or ocean nearby!

Best thing you can do is make a trip and see for yourself. My sister has to move from Omaha, NE to Appleton, WI (about 8hrs) and her plan is just to spend a few days there looking at homes.

Try Microsoft maps Live view... its better then google
Your web browser and the Maps site are incompatible

zoom into that area and click on bird's eye

Thanks for the link. It helped see the area near the River much better. Looking at Real Estate sites, it seems to me one can buy a home for anywhere from $70,000 to $700,000. I'd certainly like to go closer to the $70,000! I've always wanted to buy a home and fix it up. I grew up on the Mississippi in Missouri and have always wanted to retire near it. Certainly looks like I will be planning a trip to the area. Hope to get it done before Winter. Thanks again!

Old 10-26-2009, 02:48 PM

12,796 posts, read 12,605,749 times
A trip to the area will tell you a great deal! When I was looking in the Manitowoc/Two Rivers area, I came on weekends, as well as during the week. I also forked over a little bit more money and stayed at a B & B in one of the neighborhoods rather than a motel on the edge of town, just to get a better feel for the area.

I found one of the areas I was interested in, with older homes, next to the park and lake, were more rentals than single family, also when I looked in March/April, same area, I could tell many were closed for the winter. I didn't want to be in an area of mostly rentals or where everyone takes off for the winter months. I'm not working and I like to see signs of life in the neighborhood.

The next area I checked near the B & B were really nice older homes but narrow lots, long, narrow driveways and in many cases, a shared driveway but separate garages. I've never seen a town with so many older, single stall garages in all my life!

I settled on an area of smaller ranch and Cape Cod homes with a mixed age group and I'm still close enough to the lake (5 blocks). I have a small Cape Cod, 60 yrs. old, on a corner, 2 car garage, gives me more public sidewalk to shovel but I don't have to worry about anyone blowing snow in my drive! I bought in 2007 when prices were high so probably a good thing I hope to stay in it over 20 years!

Sorry for the long post, but thought I'd share the process I went through. Rentals aren't always a bad thing, but ones that aren't kept up can be. An area of Manitowoc where some older homes and rentals are seems a little rough around the edges appears to be students and very young families.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
A trip to the area will tell you a great deal! When I was looking in the Manitowoc/Two Rivers area, I came on weekends, as well as during the week. I also forked over a little bit more money and stayed at a B & B in one of the neighborhoods rather than a motel on the edge of town, just to get a better feel for the area.

I found one of the areas I was interested in, with older homes, next to the park and lake, were more rentals than single family, also when I looked in March/April, same area, I could tell many were closed for the winter. I didn't want to be in an area of mostly rentals or where everyone takes off for the winter months. I'm not working and I like to see signs of life in the neighborhood.

The next area I checked near the B & B were really nice older homes but narrow lots, long, narrow driveways and in many cases, a shared driveway but separate garages. I've never seen a town with so many older, single stall garages in all my life!

I settled on an area of smaller ranch and Cape Cod homes with a mixed age group and I'm still close enough to the lake (5 blocks). I have a small Cape Cod, 60 yrs. old, on a corner, 2 car garage, gives me more public sidewalk to shovel but I don't have to worry about anyone blowing snow in my drive! I bought in 2007 when prices were high so probably a good thing I hope to stay in it over 20 years!

Sorry for the long post, but thought I'd share the process I went through. Rentals aren't always a bad thing, but ones that aren't kept up can be. An area of Manitowoc where some older homes and rentals are seems a little rough around the edges appears to be students and very young families.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. It sounds as if you had some of the same concerns I do. This will be my last home and I want it right. I am definitely making a trip to the area to see if it's a good fit for me. Thanks again! Your home sounds lovely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin