U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 08:26 AM

98 posts, read 319,675 times

Advertisements

What is the deal with pollution in Wisconsin?
I have read articles that put WI as part of the 7 most polluted states.
And other artcles saying that Wi is an example for trying to clean up the pollution.
What is the real story???
Inquiring johnnybandfreak wants to know.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2006, 10:58 AM

167 posts, read 883,683 times
Hmm... I haven't heard much about pollution in Wisconsin... the main thing I notice is the stink from the fields around here, when the farmers spread manure. Yuck!

Old 07-23-2006, 07:18 AM

Default Manure

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelaf
Hmm... I haven't heard much about pollution in Wisconsin... the main thing I notice is the stink from the fields around here, when the farmers spread manure. Yuck!
Yuck is the right word.
Used to deal with that in VA when the field were covered with Turkey ****.
Lived in the turkey farms area of VA.
johnnybandfreak

Old 07-23-2006, 10:05 AM

167 posts, read 883,683 times
I lived near in an area with lots of turkey farms when I lived in MN so I can relate. The turkey stench is worse than the manure-in-the-fields I think...

Old 07-23-2006, 04:10 PM

Default Turkey xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelaf
I lived near in an area with lots of turkey farms when I lived in MN so I can relate. The turkey stench is worse than the manure-in-the-fields I think...
I know....
I have memories of those nice cool days in VA when my husband run around the house like a chicken without his head to close the windows to stop the stench from coming in.
And you have all these other critters who spray your screen doors.
AHHHHH!!!
To live close to nature.
The only critter that I deal with now is a toad (not referring to my husband).
A real one that likes to hugs the outside step.
johnnybandfreak

Old 07-24-2006, 09:01 AM

46 posts, read 246,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnnybandfreak
What is the deal with pollution in Wisconsin?
I have read articles that put WI as part of the 7 most polluted states.
And other artcles saying that Wi is an example for trying to clean up the pollution.
What is the real story???
Inquiring johnnybandfreak wants to know.
Wisconsin's water have been polluted becasue of industry waste, but there have been major efforts to clean the waters up. Another source of pollution is agricultural runoff, but that will happen wherever fertilizers and pecticideds are used. Most industrial cities in the world are severly polluted. Lake Erie was so badly polluted that it was dead, and it has been brought back.

Old 07-24-2006, 10:22 AM

Default Lake Erie

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'Goshboy
Wisconsin's water have been polluted becasue of industry waste, but there have been major efforts to clean the waters up. Another source of pollution is agricultural runoff, but that will happen wherever fertilizers and pecticideds are used. Most industrial cities in the world are severly polluted. Lake Erie was so badly polluted that it was dead, and it has been brought back.
You are absolutely right.
And it is good to hear that Wisconsin is trying to do something about it.
johnnybandfreak

Old 08-01-2006, 01:34 PM

8 posts, read 39,129 times
Pollution is worse in areas with manufacturing same as other states. Wisconsin is most likely in the top 7 due to paper mills and dairy farms? The stench from paper mills will drive you out! Northeastern wisconsin is one of the last clean spots in the state, meaning north of the Fox River Valley of course. But we get our share of acid rain from the Twin Cities same as the rest of the state.

Old 08-03-2006, 09:17 AM

Default Pollution

Well...
from all the articles that I have read, it seems that Wisconsin is trying to do something about the pollution.
Time is what is needed.
johnnybandfreak

Old 08-08-2006, 05:43 PM

12 posts, read 54,366 times
Default Pollution in Wisconsin

I don't know where you read that, but let me tell you what I know from firsthand experience. I joined this forum a few months ago, looking for insight on what I hoped would be our new state. We'd heard that our East Coast state had the nation's highest percentage of asthmatic children, and we have the pharmacy bills and respiratory equipment to prove that we were on our way to becoming part of that number. We're in Wisconsin now, after many years on the East Coast. The asthma attacks that we suffered with before coming here are non-existent, and what a relief to breathe without the help of allergy/sinus medication or puffers (and to live an uncomplicated, unhurried life -- the pollution of stress cannot be downplayed)! I know that chemicals used on farms can trouble the lungs, but we haven't had any such problem. The food is so much fresher, and the air and water are so much cleaner than we're used to. Thanks to everyone who helped us make a fabulous relocation choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin