U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 11:38 AM

333 posts, read 926,424 times

Advertisements

My brother and I are thinking about a possible move to La Crosse for college. We'd like more information on 2 bedroom apartments and jobs in the area? Also, information on La Crosse and surrounding areas, as far as safety and a nice place to live? We're from Tennessee, and we'd like to know if Wisconsin would welcome someone from the south? Any info appreciated. Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 02:03 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,632,529 times
Default could do worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaygirl05 View Post
My brother and I are thinking about a possible move to La Crosse for college. We'd like more information on 2 bedroom apartments and jobs in the area? Also, information on La Crosse and surrounding areas, as far as safety and a nice place to live? We're from Tennessee, and we'd like to know if Wisconsin would welcome someone from the south? Any info appreciated. Thanks
LaCrosse is safer than any city its size in TN, but it does have a little of the "river-town" scruffiness of a mini-Memphis feel,believe it or not.

Town of students and students apartments fairly cheap, look on craigslist for pricing etc.
The 2 colleges are OK,not bad- not great either,places for average students no more no less.

Nobody cares where you are from, unlike much of the south, civil war has been over a long time in WI.
An area of much natural beauty as well.
Look at Winona and Mankato ,MN as well.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
LaCrosse is safer than any city its size in TN, but it does have a little of the "river-town" scruffiness of a mini-Memphis feel,believe it or not.

Town of students and students apartments fairly cheap, look on craigslist for pricing etc.
The 2 colleges are OK,not bad- not great either,places for average students no more no less.

Nobody cares where you are from, unlike much of the south, civil war has been over a long time in WI.
An area of much natural beauty as well.
Look at Winona and Mankato ,MN as well.
hmm kk, thanks for the info. well i was originally hoping to live more in the Winona area, but when i looked at their colleges they didn't have what i was looking for, which is Photography. La Crosse has it, so if I lived in Winona, we'd both have to drive about 40 mins to get to our colleges. We were hoping we could live in the town or closer to the town that we went to college in. Hoping for about no more than a 20 minute drive if possible?

Old 12-26-2009, 11:35 PM

358 posts, read 776,776 times
You will find a lot of housing near the University area some are newer and appear nice but I have 1 son the shares a newer Apartment just a block from campus and it needs updating already. I think he pays about $280. with utilities but he also has 5 people sharing the Apt. If you drive, be sure to look for off street parking.

If you look on a map, I would try to avoid areas south of Cass St. and areas west of West Ave. This is a fairly safe town but things do happen so you need to be cautious.

This area looks a lot like much of TN but our winters are long and cold so bring warm clothing.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone1 View Post
You will find a lot of housing near the University area some are newer and appear nice but I have 1 son the shares a newer Apartment just a block from campus and it needs updating already. I think he pays about $280. with utilities but he also has 5 people sharing the Apt. If you drive, be sure to look for off street parking.

If you look on a map, I would try to avoid areas south of Cass St. and areas west of West Ave. This is a fairly safe town but things do happen so you need to be cautious.

This area looks a lot like much of TN but our winters are long and cold so bring warm clothing.
Yea, my brother has a car so we'd be taking it with us. Why would we have to get off street parking? Wouldn't it be safer and make more sense to get one that has a garage parking space? Also, because of the really cold winter weather.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:20 PM

358 posts, read 776,776 times
Yes to the garage if you can find a rental property with one. If you look around you may be able to locate a rental with a garage. If you can not find one with a garage, then look for off street parking which most have but parking is at a premium around the University area. If you can not get a place with a garage, you may also want to look at getting an engine heater installed if you car does not have one. The cars start much easier in the cold when plugged in with the engine heater.

Most of the city has night parking enforcement, example during the winter you must park on even side of street if it is a even numbered day or odd side if a odd number day. You will be ticketed for being on the wrong side of the street. This may not be new to you as many cities around the US do this for street sweeping and snowplowing.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone1 View Post
Yes to the garage if you can find a rental property with one. If you look around you may be able to locate a rental with a garage. If you can not find one with a garage, then look for off street parking which most have but parking is at a premium around the University area. If you can not get a place with a garage, you may also want to look at getting an engine heater installed if you car does not have one. The cars start much easier in the cold when plugged in with the engine heater.

Most of the city has night parking enforcement, example during the winter you must park on even side of street if it is a even numbered day or odd side if a odd number day. You will be ticketed for being on the wrong side of the street. This may not be new to you as many cities around the US do this for street sweeping and snowplowing.
oh ok thanks, I've never heard of an engine heater, that's a good idea
hmm na I haven't heard of this odd and even day parking cause I come from a small town of 10,000 people, and the nearest bigger cities being: 45 mins away 18,000 pop., hour and 30 mins away two bigger cities, one 25,000, and the other 75,000. Yea, I live in the middle of nowhere lol.
Thanks for the help.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:20 PM

29 posts, read 49,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaygirl05 View Post
Viterbo College is private... Western Tech College is the two year tech. UW-L is a public university and somewhat difficult to get into unless you have a high ACT score or are in the top 10 percent of your graduating class. All three are right near downtown La Crosse and there is plenty of decent student rentals in the area.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:29 AM

21 posts, read 68,411 times
La Crosse has a good college; however, I heard there a "suspicious" deaths that are occuring there. It involves people drinking and being found in the river.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsinlifesincebirth View Post
La Crosse has a good college; however, I heard there a "suspicious" deaths that are occuring there. It involves people drinking and being found in the river.
mm =/ yea I saw a little bit about that on here along with Eau Claire, but that its only been guys? and I don't drink, but I did wonder still how much I should be worried? because my brother may or may not decide to move with me now, and if I'm gonna be living alone I don't want safety to be an issue. Thanks all. I've also been checking out the Appleton/Green Bay area too, Does anybody have any info on these areas? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin