Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2009, 04:30 AM

118 posts, read 280,522 times

Advertisements

For those of you who have moved to Wisconsin did you rent a truck or have a moving company move you?
If you moved yourself, how are the highways into Wisconsin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 10:38 AM

68 posts, read 213,696 times
My family and I moved ourselves by renting a moving truck. We lined it up with the company that we used and rented the truck were we lived in Catonsville, Maryland and turned it in, in Schofield. We also lined it up to have a company help us to unload the truck and carry the furniture and stuff into the house, being that it was just my wife, myself and our two kids, we don't have any family here in Wisconsin to have helped us. Things went really smoothly and the roads that we traveled into the state on were no problem. I have heard of some horror stories with people hiring movers to load thier stuff and drive it for them and unload it at thier new house, I've heard that the people will get a quote for one price but then when the truck pulls up to thier house they tell them that price is different and they won't unload it until they are paid in full. So just becareful when it comes to that, we didn't go that route so I can't say we had that happen to us personnally. But either way check around for the best price available and good luck with your move.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:45 PM

Thank you for your reply. I did a lot of online reading and I decided that I'm going to either rent a truck or sell everything and buy new stuff there, depending on costs. After reading moving company horror stories, I'm not going to mess with that and it sounds too expensive anyway.
I'm planning to sell off some of the biggest heaviest furniture over the holidays and then estimate moving costs on what is left.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:24 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,204 times
We moved approx 1300 miles, 3 1/2 years ago. We hired United, as always, and they did a spectacular job-- as always. There is no way we were going to make it a DIY move, with the car on a carrier through all that traffic, east coast to here. The cost back then was $2000.

When we move back next year, we will once again hire United. I can't tell you how many times we've used them, and my parents before that, with never a single bad story to tell afterwards.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:32 PM

That's a fair price although I'm sure it has gone up somewhat.
But some of the 'bad move' stories are really bad. I'll do a search on United though.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:56 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
though we went in a different direction and left WI, it's the same process. We rented a 26' Uhaul, and hired a team to load the truck up there, and another to unload down here ( both teams found thru Uhaul's partner site ). Doing a one-way move with a large truck is not cheap, but we had to drive another vehicle anyway ( pull our boat down ) so at that point it made more sense for us to take a truck as well. Looking back, we might do things differently and not haul it all again; we made the trip fine but it's still an adventure going thru the mountains.
But for what we had, doing it this way gave us more control and was less then hiring a moving van to do it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin