Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2009, 10:43 PM

2 posts, read 6,244 times

Advertisements

Hello I'm the mother of a large bunch. We've pretty much lived in small towns most of our lives. Currently, we are in California and we don't like it. One of the kids sugested Wisconsin and I figured it couldn't hurt to look in on it. I'm looking for a large house on a reasonable peice of property (we're farm people LOL) I'm educated, so employment shouldn't be an issue. I'm a certified substitute teacher and degreed in Criminal Justice. We just want to be out where there are stars and wildlife... Hunting and fishing are always a plus. Any input would be appreciated... Elk Grove looks about the right size Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 08:47 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,865,846 times
I don't know a whole lot about the SE corner of the state. It's been a long time since I have been out that way and I don't recall the landscape, but I think it's more plains than woodland. I would wonder about the ease of finding a job in such a low population area as well so I'm going to base some suggestions on smaller population areas with more woods, deer, bears and fish.

In the middle of the state there is lots of forest and wildlife, hunting and fishing land. There you'll find smaller (30-50K) population centers like Wausau, Steven's Point, Marshfield, Wisconsin Rapids. You could find work there and live in a neighboring small town like Mosinee or Amherst. Further north = more forest and such. Up there is Rhinelander with 8K people in the north central part of the state, a bit further is Eagle River. On the north west side are places like Rice Lake.

I haven't been to any of these spots in a few years, but it's a few ideas to start researching.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:19 AM

109 posts, read 335,304 times
try thr northwest, good farmland and woodland, deer hunting is great. i lived in polk county, it was nice to be in such a rural area, but having the twin citys of mn. only an hour away.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:07 PM

2 posts, read 6,244 times
Thanks for the suggestions I appreciate all the input and I have begun my research. Hoping to be in the state by summer!

Old 12-27-2009, 11:42 PM

10 posts, read 33,821 times
I currently live in Janesville. It's a little north of the border, about 45 minutes east of Madison. It's a small city (60,000 people) but in the area there are other towns like milton, whitewater, and eagle. All are small towns with alot of nice countryside you can look in to.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:25 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,915,563 times
Central WI fits your bill, as someone else noted. You could live in the country, and still be near towns with 10-35k residents such as Wausau, Stevens Points, WI Rapids and Marshfield. You also noted that you and your family are Christians, and there are many churches in that area.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:56 PM

160 posts, read 454,608 times
I grew up on an 80 acre farm near Dresser, Wi (on the Minnesota, Wisconsin border). It's God's country....as they say, and sooooo true. Southern Wisconsin isn't as pretty as the northern area. Dresser is only an hour to the twin cities. Both my folks lived in the beauty of Wisconsin and carpooled with others that worked in the cities. It's the best of both worlds. Lots of lakes and acres to hunt and fish! And people are ohhhh sooo nice! Small town people, with big hearts. But that's just my opinion.

I live in Minnesota now (about 60 miles from there). I'd move back to Wisconsin in a heartbeat if the work was there. You have to be near the twin cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul) to make decent money.

Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin