U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 06:11 PM

13 posts, read 51,061 times

Advertisements

As stated on post, I'm just stating data obtained from U.S Justice Department and FBI. No I'm not racist, just reporting what I read by Federal Gov. files. If the coralation exist it's not my fault, maybee it's not politically correct, sorry.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 11:55 PM

2,166 posts, read 2,628,849 times
Beloit seems to be in a uch better position than Janesville. Beloit already has gone through hell when it lost its largest employer and has turned a corner.

Janesville has not yet lost GM.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:04 PM

13 posts, read 51,061 times
Default beloit

Beloit and Janesville's future is still somewhat fuzzy. Taxes in Wisconsin as a whole make it rough. With Illinois border so close more companies still seem to head there. Or worse yet farther south. Or worse than that right out of the country. I still wonder if we are going to see yet another massive export of jobs. Much like what happened back in the 70's and 80's to (Rockford, IL the rust belt), (remember the saying will the last person out of Rockford please turn off the lights). Your seeing more high tech and service related jobs leaving too. The problem sadly, is going on throughout the U.S.A. (Lou Dobbs CNN latest book tells it all, scary and depressing). I just don't know where it's going to all end, I feel sorry for the youth in this country. The Middle class is going away.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:47 PM

4 posts, read 16,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoojack View Post
Living in Beloit and Janesville area for some 35 years off and on give me many ideas on what is now and what was. Beloit is basically a dying little town most good paying (union) jobs are gone, drug problems rampant (crack cocaine). Many murders for a town this size but mostly drug related. ABC Supply Company owned and ran by Ken Hendricks is a interesting person. He sure does know how to make money, but most of his hourly people are poorly paid (no union scale). He does seem to take care of his upper management people though. He has a somewhat currious past, many many arsons of his properties, thus the nick name "insurance scam Ken" as stated by certain police and fire investigators in the state. The City of Beloit and the Beloit Daily News suck up to him, they look the other way about allegations about him. They need his money. As for Janesville, the city 12 miles to the north of Beloit. They may be in big trouble if GM closes it's plant there, (80 year old factory). Crime is also on the rise in Janesville also, along with a strong rise in the black population (not a rasist or bigot just the facts from the FBI). You can also look at the contrast between Madison, WI and Rockford, IL., one is growing fast the other is on life support.
There is a lot misinformation in this entire thread. I work for Ken Hendricks in ABC's headquarters and live on the west side of Beloit. I guess I could be considered one of his "poorly paid" hourly people--if that's what you want to call it.........Funny thing is that I make enough to live very comfortably. It's an amazing place to work and there are many companies in Beloit and the surrounding area that Ken either owns or has some sort of interest in. He is someone who motivates those around him and the community benefits greatly from his involvement. I have several friends in ABC's SBU's and have only heard of one fire which took place about 20 years ago. You have probably just been given bad information by people who are jealous of his success.
Getting back to the subject--Beloit definitely has it's faults, but it's a city which has people in key positions who have identified them and are working to overcome them--I've had contact with them through the department I work in--The city doesn't seem to be in denial. Along with working on overcoming the negatives, positives are also being stressed. The Beloit Artwalk, Film Festival, Business After 5:00, Farmer's Market, Concerts in the Park, are all events which have been great successes. I have a feeling that this list is going to grow as more businesses are introduced into this area. Overall, I think a foundation is being built right now--and I'm glad I made the decision to get into this community when it was so inexpensive to do so........

Old 09-01-2007, 03:31 AM

2,166 posts, read 2,628,849 times

glad to see another Beloit person chime in here.

Question, what role do you see the college playing in the area's success. When I went to Beloit, there was little if any interaction between the college and Beloit community.

The improvement in the city will only help the college to thrive, and vice versa.

I just received the latest alumni info package and could not believe that the college's endowment is around $130,000,000. Not bad for a school of 1300 students.

It really does seem like the stars are aligning for the Beloit area. I even know of some alumni friends that have spoken of moving back to the area. That never would have happened even 10 years ago.

Old 09-02-2007, 03:34 PM
LML

7,110 posts, read 8,438,579 times
Having recently moved back to Beloit after many years living in Madison, I probably notice things more than those who have lived here all along...you know, how you notice the nephew you see once a year has grown so suddenly while you don't notice the growth in the one you see every week. It feels as though Beloit has awaken, shaken the cobwebs away, and started living again. There is new growth everywhere...new businesses, new resturants, new shopping, new houses, new apartments, etc. etc. The feeling in the air is much more positive too. All in all, I think I picked the right time to come back to my home town.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:58 PM

57,971 posts, read 50,525,637 times
I figured Beloit couldn't be that bad. Not the most special place, but not an armpit either.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:09 PM

4 posts, read 16,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post

glad to see another Beloit person chime in here.

Question, what role do you see the college playing in the area's success. When I went to Beloit, there was little if any interaction between the college and Beloit community.

The improvement in the city will only help the college to thrive, and vice versa.

I just received the latest alumni info package and could not believe that the college's endowment is around $130,000,000. Not bad for a school of 1300 students.

It really does seem like the stars are aligning for the Beloit area. I even know of some alumni friends that have spoken of moving back to the area. That never would have happened even 10 years ago.
I think the college plays an important role in the downtown area as well as the area most closely surrounding it. I don't believe there is any impact on the I-90 development or anything on the west side. It is great to have them part of the area regardless, because they lend a certain amount of credibility and support to the art programs that the city is trying to push. Most of this is taking place in the downtown area. I know there was talk of Hendricks Development moving the library to the old Beloit Mall and then donating the existing liabrary building to the college for a theater. That would be a huge asset to the downtown businesses. HDG has also built some incredible condos along the downtown part of the river and Hendricks' construction arm, CCI, is rehabing the Ironworks buildings on the other side of the river. If you get a chance to tour their facility, do it--It is amazing what they have done with it..........

Old 09-25-2007, 08:15 PM

8 posts, read 43,114 times
Thumbs up Still in Beloit after all these tears

Having survived the death of Beloit Corporation at the turn of the Century, changes have occurred here in a number of ways.
Like many others, I was shocked, er stunned to see the fruit of twenty years labor of blood, sweat and fears come to an abrupt end seven years ago.
With a great deal of good luck, due diligence and a lot of sacrifice, I resurfaced from the disaster known as Beloit, with a Bachelors degree and hope.
Today, Beloit is a completely different town than the one I knew seven years ago. True, there are not a lot of highly paid machinists lining up outside the shops that have resurfaced in Beloit. On the otherhand, there are welding jobs in the area, some design firms need Cadmeisters and the need for RN's and associated occupations is very strong.
Instead of belching foundry smokestacks, screaming turret lathes and frantic sales trips to the escalators at O'Hare, you can now stroll down Pleasant St. ,sip a cup of Kafe Mocha and read the New York Times on a riverside patio across from the once Great Beloit Corporation.
Rather imposing murals of ancient craftsmen now adorn the Eastern wall of the downtown facility. After a few beers it is sometimes referred to as the Midwest version of the Wailing Wall.
the Hendricks Clan has bestowed millions on the citizenry of Beloit in obvious and unseen ways. His Philanthropy has brightened the lives of the less fortunate in a myriad of ways.
Riverfest and the International Film Festival are cultural gems that attract and inspire artists from around the world.
For many of us former Beloiter's, we no longer walk through the security gate on Integrity lane of Prairie Hill, we do however continue to live in and near Beloit for reasons that cannot be put into words.
Varied weather, great black dirt for growing tomatoes, and deep artesian well water for the non-Chlorinated set .
Some say that we have become a bedroom community. In part they are correct.
Hormel, Frito Lay, Alcoa and a number of others did not feel the pain of the Beloit melt down, lucky for them.
As for the rest of us, well for now we are still raising kids, paying for their college, planning for retirement and living for the weekend.
You can still build a fire in a confined setting, roast marshmellows in the summer a cross country ski on both sides of the mighty Rock River...
You can find bargain real estate here for under $300 K or move to Illinois where the curriculum is suspect and the well water scary.
That said, private schools exist here if that is your need, Clinton is rather remote, Turner is fine for a school district, Beloit has more soul, if ya dig it.
The Spanish invasion is for real. Adapt or wilt,,,only know one language? You are not alone....learn and grow and wait for the next Film Festival.
Finally, Wednesday nite is Jazz nite at Cafe Belwah....Google the rest....Welcome to land of the mighty Rock...on.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:11 PM

4 posts, read 20,414 times
I have lived in the kenosha , racine area all my life and I'm thinking about moving to beloit. Was wondering if there are any areas that I should avoid living in. I'm a 28 year old white male I get along well with all races. I've heard that beloit is alot like kenosha and racine but if you ask me there is a big differance in kenosha and racine I would live any where in kenosha and feel safe but there are some areas in racine that i just woundn't live in mainly because it is 95 percent black and they make it known that they don't want you in there hood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin