U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 06:53 PM

28 posts, read 200,096 times

Advertisements

Gary, Beloit, Rockford, Flint, Little Rock, Racine. Where else would you want to raise a child, retire, leave your house doors unlocked at 9am, or walk down the street while stepping in sewer backup and bullets and mullets everywhere, than theses postcard cities.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 08:56 AM

4 posts, read 20,414 times
I would like someone who has lived or is still living in beloit to tell me what is so bad about the city. I know the jobs there suck but i'm not worried about that. I want to know if there is a good area to buy a house. Is Porter Ave a nice area?

Old 12-29-2007, 06:23 PM
LML

7,110 posts, read 8,438,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE POL View Post
Gary, Beloit, Rockford, Flint, Little Rock, Racine. Where else would you want to raise a child, retire, leave your house doors unlocked at 9am, or walk down the street while stepping in sewer backup and bullets and mullets everywhere, than theses postcard cities.
I live in Beloit. I walk around my neighborhood without a bit of trouble. I have never had sewer backup. I have never been shot at. I have never seen anyone shot at. My kids went clear through school in Beloit schools and never had a bit of trouble. They got fine educations that made it possible for them to be accepted in the college of their choice and thrive. Are there bad neighborhoods in Beloit? Yep. Tell me some place where there aren't. Let's be honest. Beloit's "reputation" is basically because we have a very diverse population. Never mind if 98% of the population, no matter what their ethnic or racial background, are honest, hard working, law abiding citizens. People see the 2% that cause problems on the tv and add that to the diversity of the population and decide Beloit is a bad place to live. Well, you don't know what you're missing.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:33 PM

25 posts, read 109,441 times
Beloit is a great, blooming place to live. You will not regret your investment in this culturally diverse, beautiful town. Enjoy!

Old 02-28-2008, 08:03 AM

57,971 posts, read 50,525,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luebda92 View Post
Beloit is a great, blooming place to live. You will not regret your investment in this culturally diverse, beautiful town. Enjoy!
I figured there was some good in this small Wisconsin city. Not perfect, but good though.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:15 PM

13 posts, read 57,226 times
I am looking to move to the area. Dh works in Rockford. I want a small farmette which looks more affordable in the Beloit area. I'm looking over by Newark, too. Anyone have experience building a home or buying an acre or more with a house under $120000 in the area? Building restrictions, zoning, etc.?

And, can you have chickens (not for slaughter) on zoned residential areas? Even a couple? I am surprised you can't down here in Winnebago county, as everywhere else I've lived, it's been ok to have a few if they were as pets or for eggs.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof4monkeys View Post
I am looking to move to the area. Dh works in Rockford. I want a small farmette which looks more affordable in the Beloit area. I'm looking over by Newark, too. Anyone have experience building a home or buying an acre or more with a house under $120000 in the area? Building restrictions, zoning, etc.?

And, can you have chickens (not for slaughter) on zoned residential areas? Even a couple? I am surprised you can't down here in Winnebago county, as everywhere else I've lived, it's been ok to have a few if they were as pets or for eggs.
I don't know.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:35 AM

2,166 posts, read 2,628,849 times
More Good News for downtown Beloit

Beloit Daily News

City OKs grocery deal
Posted: Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 - 11:43:37 am CST
By Krista Brown
Daily News staff writer

Incentives approved for city-owned downtown site
The project is being called a catalyst for economic growth in downtown Beloit.

What began years ago as plans for a parking lot has developed into a concept for a full-service grocery store, specializing in locally-grown, organic products to be located in the former Woolworth's Building at 328 State St.

Kathleen Braatz, executive director of the Downtown Beloit Association, discussed the leasing terms with the Beloit City Council Monday night, and expressed excitement over the privately-owned business, to be operated by area developers Rich Horbaczewski and Jackie Gennett, owners of Grass Is Greener Gardens in Monroe, and farmers market vendors.

“Our whole point in this is that we really wanted to seek out the highest use for this building because it's so uniquely located in the heart of downtown,” Braatz said. “We want to have this building and its use be a catalyst for retail in downtown, a viable business for itself and also for other businesses to benefit from whatever is situated there. It meets all of those objectives.”

The grocery will feature local and regionally-produced foods and products, including wine and beer and fresh food. It may also support a butcher, and offer prepared foods for lunch or take-out for day or evening meals.

Horbaczewski and Gennett, who sell lamb, chicken and eggs from their farm at the Beloit Farmers Market, have signed onto a six-year leasing term with intent to purchase the building within the first 30 months, said Braatz.

On Monday night the council unanimously approved the lease, which begins today.

The city has invested almost $675,000 in the building since acquiring it in 2003, including the cost and maintenance of the building. At the time it was purchased, the intent was to raze it to make room for a parking lot for the Kerry Ingredients headquarters. When that need diminished - Kerry is building a new complex along the interstate - the city began looking at other uses for the building, Braatz said.

Another $100,000 is being proposed to give to the grocery as a developer's incentive, to assist with build-out costs, but that money will not come from the city's general fund, and instead will come from the city's tax incremental financing district No. 5.

The leasing terms are on a scale, Braatz said. For the first 12-month period rent is free, then increases to $1,250 per month for the second 12 months, $2,500 for the third 12 months, $3,750 for the fourth 12 months, $5,000 for the fifth 12 months, while the last 12 months will be agreed upon prevailing market rates, or $5,500 per month.

Horbaczeswki and Gennett will also pay real estate taxes on the property, she said.

“We are absolutely thrilled about this,” Braatz said. “This is a culmination of years of work.”

Horbaczewski said he and Gennett are ready to hit the ground running.

“We have a vision in mind to bring local food to the area,” he said. “We have a small, yet loyal, customer base in the area already, and we want to expand on that.”

Braatz said she is hoping for a May opening of the store.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
More Good News for downtown Beloit

Beloit Daily News

City OKs grocery deal
Posted: Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 - 11:43:37 am CST
By Krista Brown
Daily News staff writer

Incentives approved for city-owned downtown site
The project is being called a catalyst for economic growth in downtown Beloit.

What began years ago as plans for a parking lot has developed into a concept for a full-service grocery store, specializing in locally-grown, organic products to be located in the former Woolworth's Building at 328 State St.

Kathleen Braatz, executive director of the Downtown Beloit Association, discussed the leasing terms with the Beloit City Council Monday night, and expressed excitement over the privately-owned business, to be operated by area developers Rich Horbaczewski and Jackie Gennett, owners of Grass Is Greener Gardens in Monroe, and farmers market vendors.

“Our whole point in this is that we really wanted to seek out the highest use for this building because it's so uniquely located in the heart of downtown,” Braatz said. “We want to have this building and its use be a catalyst for retail in downtown, a viable business for itself and also for other businesses to benefit from whatever is situated there. It meets all of those objectives.”

The grocery will feature local and regionally-produced foods and products, including wine and beer and fresh food. It may also support a butcher, and offer prepared foods for lunch or take-out for day or evening meals.

Horbaczewski and Gennett, who sell lamb, chicken and eggs from their farm at the Beloit Farmers Market, have signed onto a six-year leasing term with intent to purchase the building within the first 30 months, said Braatz.

On Monday night the council unanimously approved the lease, which begins today.

The city has invested almost $675,000 in the building since acquiring it in 2003, including the cost and maintenance of the building. At the time it was purchased, the intent was to raze it to make room for a parking lot for the Kerry Ingredients headquarters. When that need diminished - Kerry is building a new complex along the interstate - the city began looking at other uses for the building, Braatz said.

Another $100,000 is being proposed to give to the grocery as a developer's incentive, to assist with build-out costs, but that money will not come from the city's general fund, and instead will come from the city's tax incremental financing district No. 5.

The leasing terms are on a scale, Braatz said. For the first 12-month period rent is free, then increases to $1,250 per month for the second 12 months, $2,500 for the third 12 months, $3,750 for the fourth 12 months, $5,000 for the fifth 12 months, while the last 12 months will be agreed upon prevailing market rates, or $5,500 per month.

Horbaczeswki and Gennett will also pay real estate taxes on the property, she said.

“We are absolutely thrilled about this,” Braatz said. “This is a culmination of years of work.”

Horbaczewski said he and Gennett are ready to hit the ground running.

“We have a vision in mind to bring local food to the area,” he said. “We have a small, yet loyal, customer base in the area already, and we want to expand on that.”

Braatz said she is hoping for a May opening of the store.
Looks like Beloit will be one of the best kept secrets.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:57 AM

8 posts, read 43,114 times
Talking Bad Beloit ?

It is true, Beloit has it's troubled spots. The best place to judge any town is to visit the local police department and look at the Mug Books. I am serious.
To see what evil exists in a given city, this is the place to look.
Once that scene is over, take a breath and continue. Beloit has a reputation of a midwest town in transition.
A large immigrant population lives in and around Beloit and the region. If you can speak any number of Spanish and/or Maya Spanish or Inca Spanish you might hear some interesting ideas on immigrant life in Southern Wisconsin.
It is too bad that Wisconsin does not require non Castilean Espanol as a required second language.
Stopping for gas at the corner of Park and Henry, you might encounter creatures from a distant planet, remembering of course that you are across the street from a Video Outlet . The hairs on my skin rises sometimes when buying gas in town.
A diamond in the rough could be the Fantastic Pizza's and other delicacies found at Prime Time, around the corner from Strange gas station on Park.
What's bad ? It takes me twenty minutes to drive in for Calzone on Friday nights.
Superior, on the other hand, has a long history of beauty, English Rock Concerts on foggy summer nights, Ore ships, taconite, the legend of Miles Lord, lots of seagulls and hundreds of attractive white houses on a hill.
All of which face the wicked weather forces of one of the toughest winter ports in America. Great skiing all around Superior, what's bad is the wind chill at 7 am.
Racine is where my little sister used to go to swim. I swam the YMCA race circuit in Racine and Kenosha decades ago. We swam in a lakeside pool and stared out at a Bad looking Lake Michigan.
Bad is a word that represents different symbols to individuals. Bad Karma, Bad Company, Bad Boy, etc. eom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin