Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 01:56 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,409,890 times

Advertisements

.... In comparison to other states you've visited during winter?
They do use rock salt on the roads, unlike my state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 02:28 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
In Milwaukee a 15!!!! However when I have traveled to less populated counties like Jefferson or FDL I give it a 2! Milwaukee's traffic helps a lot, in rural counties you are basically counting on the plows to clear the roads but when you have hundreds of thousands of cars driving over the street it helps a lot.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:46 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,409,890 times
Most of my time in Wisconsin was spent as a kid and only a year and a half I drove there as an "adult." (Adult, in legal terms only. ) I have to say, I think they took quite good care of the roads in Rice Lake. We got some bad snow, but I had an economy-size vehicle and not once do I remember thinking "man, they need to get the plows out here and take care of this." (In Montana, on the other hand, I've thought it a number of times.) I would even drive the backroads to work in the next town. lol! (I probably wouldn't do that now. haha) Even on those paved country roads I don't remember it being an issue.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:06 PM

84 posts, read 226,273 times
I currently live in Omaha...and compared to the plowing here in Omaha I'd rate Wisconsin a 15 overall...

I disagree completely with Milwaukee City as usual...I've driven in Milwaukee and Madison enough in winter to know that whether its the snow plowing in general or the lack of wind or what not blowing snow off the roads but the cities are usually 10x worse but that makes a lot more sense because there's almost no where to go with the snow like they do in the country...

I think it's all personal preference in terms of where you have driven or what you have grown up with...country driving to me is 100x easier then in the cities come winter time...

Old 02-14-2010, 07:35 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAB1452 View Post
I disagree completely with Milwaukee City as usual
What do you mean "as usual"

I live close to downtown where every street is a busy street and I always use the freeway. Maybe it's just where I live but by day 2 all the snow is usually gone from the streets and the streets are just wet. I don't do a lot of country driving anymore but when I did or when I take back roads to MN they all seem to be fine except for you major drift here and there.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:02 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,876,281 times
All depends on where you are and where you have to be. Side streets in Appleton are left a mess for up to 24 hours, which I don't understand. However, the main roads are done very well.

My home State varies greatly. My home town would get a negative number, but just over the line in the 2 neighboring towns, they would each get a 15. I lived in one of those towns for 4 years, on a small dead-end street with just 13 houses. It was plowed every couple of hours during the day and at least twice overnight. They did a fantastic job.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:27 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,594,558 times
They usually try their best in the Mad-City (sometimes discussing better methods after the fact) and snow happens .. so I'll give er a 10.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:25 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,525,776 times
Main highways the 10+ town live in a 8 and side streets a 2 as now will not plow unless 3 inches of snow and our winter rain storms screwed them up bad. The highways use salt and calcium chloride so they seem to really stay good.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:38 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,616,693 times
I'm pretty impressed with the plowing in Two Rivers/Manitowoc. I like the way they don't leave piles on the corners where you pull up to a stop sign.

In Illinois, they would just keep piling it up and corners would get very dangerous. Here they haul a great deal of snow away.

We do drive on snow packed side streets a great deal in the winter time but the area I lived in before never plowed down to bare pavement, he didn't want to damage the speed bumps or blacktop. We were at his mercy, private streets.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:54 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
.... In comparison to other states you've visited during winter?
They do use rock salt on the roads, unlike my state.
Depends on the volume of traffic the road typically sees. Pretty much all the streets in the major and semi-major metropolitan areas are cleared off quickly and thoroughly, and salted -- even the residential side streets. Same with state highways and most county highways. On side roads in rural areas the clearing is less thorough -- one good scrape with a plow, and only if it's more than a few inches, and maybe a layer of sand or cinders. Which is pretty much all you need for roads that see maybe 10 cars a day. I've never had any trouble getting around in Wisconsin any more than 36 hours or so after a major snowfall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin