Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 10:34 AM

365 posts, read 779,493 times

Advertisements

Green Bay is a small city so if you're looking for the amenities you would find in a town of over half a million I'm sure you would find it boring, that said, for a town of 100,000 with a metro of only 300,000 they have plenty going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 11:54 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
Yeah Green Bay isn't my cup o' tea but for how big it is it seemed a lot smaller than it really is, and why is there no liquor stores within 3 miles of Lambeau field?????

Old 02-21-2010, 06:14 PM

31 posts, read 117,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Yeah Green Bay isn't my cup o' tea but for how big it is it seemed a lot smaller than it really is, and why is there no liquor stores within 3 miles of Lambeau field?????
Never noticed that before, but you're right! Strangely enough, you can't throw a rock in any direction in any other part of GB without hitting at least two liquor stores. But IIRC, the stadium is technically in Ashwaubenon... maybe they have different laws?

And it does seem much smaller than the 100,000 or whatever that it says on the population sign. There's not much more to do in Green Bay than what you'd expect to find in a town of 20,000 or so.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:13 PM

Although most land south of Lombardi Avenue is in Ashwaubenon, the stadium is an exception. That is in Green Bay. I think when they first built the stadium back in the 50's they must have annexed the land into the city.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:20 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Not everyone needs a lot of external stimuli to keep themselves occupied. Some just need friends and family nearby. Some just need a home base from which to strike out on adventures elsewhere on weekends. Some just want a clean quiet place to raise their children. Some may wish they could live in an even smaller, quieter place but they have to live near an employment hub to find work so they choose the most non-urban one they can find to minimize their culture shock. Some don't want the expense or traffic or other hassles of living in a more urban environment. Some have already "been there done that," and having had all their urban/cosmopolitan itches scratched they're ready for a change of pace. There are lots of reasons to move to (or stay in) Green Bay. They may not apply to you but it seems to work out for a lot of other people.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:56 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
There's a Roundy's (Copps, I think) right down the road from the stadium on Lombardi, they sell beer, wine and other liquor, too, only a few blocks from Lambeau.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Some just want a clean quiet place to raise their children.
Clean and quiet? Quite might be possible depending on the part of town, but Green Bay is one of the filthiest places in the entire state. The most exciting thing about the Fox River is the new and undiscovered shades of green and brown that it turns... and don't get me started on the Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Some may wish they could live in an even smaller, quieter place but they have to live near an employment hub to find work so they choose the most non-urban one they can find to minimize their culture shock.
There's tons of smaller, non-urban places near Green Bay... many that are no more than a 10 minute drive from town.

I've often wondered this question myself and I still don't know why anyone would choose to live in Green Bay.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:07 PM

There are plenty of great neighborhoods in Green Bay, of course, it doesn't have the slums to go toe to toe with Milwaukee.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:25 PM

I think it says a lot that so many people apparently can't defend Green Bay without attacking another city. But it's funny you should take it there because my car has only been broken into twice, and both times I were while I was visiting family in Green Bay. Mind you, all of my family members live in what are considered "safe" neighborhoods. Yet somehow I've managed to not be a victim of theft in almost two decades of being in MKE.

Could it be that people in Green Bay... who tend to known nothing of Milwaukee outside of Summerfest and Brewers games... ASSUME Milwaukee is so much worse because of the large presence of racial minorities? I definitely wouldn't put it past most of the people who live there.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:44 PM

^^
Your snarky comments on Green Bay don't exactly endear you to people who happen to like many of the good qualities of the city which you apparently are completely blind too. Believe me, Milwaukee is no Shangri-la, and yet I'll be the first to admit that Milwaukee has many good qualities and is a terrific place to visit or live.

As to YOUR assumption that people don't like Milwaukee because of racial minorities is laughable considering the white flight that's occured in Milwaukee. White Milwaukeeans moved out of the city in droves between the 60's and the last census causing the population to drop like a rock. The irony though is Green Bay today is experiencing emerging minority neighborhoods, and using your logic, it can be ASSUMED that that is where a lot of the dissing toward Green Bay is coming from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin