U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2010, 11:27 PM

2 posts, read 11,635 times

Advertisements

Here is a little overview from my 20+ years growing up in Wisconsin:

+ Low Cost of Living
+ Can move around quite easily
+ Commuting from anywhere in the state is a breeze
+ Jobs are around for the right people (with a college education)
+ You have the Packers

- Want to live in a nice area? Well for the place its pretty expensive
- Climate sucks more than anything (Northern Wisconsin 6 months of Snow, Southern Wisconsin 4-5 Months of freezing cold not always with snow)
- If you don't have a college education good luck finding a decent paying job all the factories are leaving
- It can be pretty dead unless you like sitting in a dark tavern on the weekend
- All you have is the Packers in the winter, well unless you cheer for UW-Madison for football and basketball

Thats about it for Wisconsin, also the weather is really nice in the summer for 2 months or maybe 3 months but after that you gotta be able to handle the cold of the North and not like Illinois or Ohio but of Wisconsin, Minnesota, and the Dakotas.

Cities:
Milwaukee - can be dodgy in areas but if your White you probably will be fine in the "right parts of town". One more thing is it does have a lot of things going on during the summer from conventions to festivals and music festivals as well.

Madison - Your pretty much good to go everywhere here, even the worsts parts you can get by in as long as your smart. It can also be a great city for things to do just like Milwaukee although the cost of living can be a little bit higher around this area.

Janesville/Beloit - Depending on where you move you can be in up-class or blue collar in the same small city. You can also live in the country and still make it to work in under 10 mins.

Oshkosh/FonduLac - Your looking at colleges and factories for the most part around this area.

Green Bay - You have the Packers... what else do you need? Well thats all you get really, although you area pretty far north to where you can enjoy the outdoorsman type mentality.

Eau Claire - Your just outside the Twin Cities but you gotta pay for it with the long winter months.

Superior - See above although you are right on a great lake.

La Crosse - Your looking at being in a growing college type town. Its a nice little city that can offer jobs to select people.

Then there is the rest- You will find nothing or factories in a lot of towns as well as some tourist centers as well.

Tourist Areas of the State- Eagle River, Hayward, Wisconsin Dells, Door County, Lake Geneva (filled with Illinois people)

There you go a little movers guide to Wisconsin form someone who has lived here almost all their life and has traveled around the world as well to get a good perspective on things. If your wondering about certain cities though I would post your questions and someone can jump on it if need be.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 09:10 AM

117 posts, read 397,670 times
How about Wausau?

Old 03-01-2010, 09:39 AM

647 posts, read 1,548,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo713 View Post
how about wausau?
+1

Old 03-02-2010, 08:47 AM

59 posts, read 114,741 times
Well, if you don't mind someone that isn't the original poster responding, Wausau is nice. It's more blue collar than La Crosse, Eau Claire, or Appleton but it's evolving swiftly now into a more regional hub. When I was little, it was barely a blip in the state, now it's got several suburbs, a redesigned downtown and a decent commercial sector. Cheap living (it's still developing) but the things to do are a little limited. If you like fishing, hunting, hiking, skiing, or camping, you've found the perfect location. If you like art, plays, or theater, you may need to change your expectations. It's developing itself into the city of the northwoods but it's still just a city happening to reside near the northwoods as of right now.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:25 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,561,322 times
That's funny someone mentioned Wausau, because my husband and I are thinking of moving within that area in the next year or so.

I was just about to post a thread about moving to WI and if the people were nice, so I guess I could just ask here if that's okay? What are people like in WI? Are they nicer than Minnesotans? I'm telling you...I have lived in MN for a long time, but the people here suck like there's no tomorrow. No manners, very cliquey, no appreciation, and for as "liberal" and "open-minded" of a state this is politically, meeting people everyday would tell you a different story. Heehee if some of the people I knew found out I said that I'd be in deep trouble.

My husband's originally from WI. He moved here and met me, a city girl . As surprising as this is, I'm actually looking forward to moving there. One of the things I am dreading though is being asked what my ethnicity is. I'm not white (my husband is however) but I don't want to always be answering and explaining how I came to be.

I actually like the winter-- MN's not too different, and really you get enough warm weather anyway. I'm glad to hear that Wausau's developing; my husband and I are both college grads (well, I'm a semester away) and we'll be looking for jobs before we plan on moving or looking for a place.

Does anyone have any advice about that? How to look for jobs and whatnot?

Old 03-03-2010, 05:16 AM

59 posts, read 114,741 times
Well, Wausau, as I said before, is a bit more blue collar and so I would have to know what your degree is to tell you how well you would be able to find a job in that area. As for the similarities between Minnesotans and Sconnies, I would say that they're pretty similar - I mean, we occupy a very proximal point on the globe with similar immigration roots so one cannot expect that they would be too different. I think it depends on how you present yourself upon the initial move, too. I've heard people talk about their move to Wisconsin in both a positive and negative, but I think it was more the mentality of the person who moved and less the people. I think that, culturally speaking, Wisconsin is fairly easy-going. Don't confuse that with liberal, especially in the northern half of the state, but the "do-as-you-please" attitude is fairly prevalent; no one tries to get in anyone else's business too often.

As for your ethnicity...well, unfortunately the snow isn't the only white thing dominating Wisconsin. Wausau, however, is one of the largest points of immigration for the Hmong population (I'm an ESL teacher so I was taught about this while pursuing my degree). There is also a large Hispanic community in the area but that's really about it. If you are a little dark, you're probably going to be assumed to be Hispanic. If you seem Asian, you're probably going to be assumed to be Hmong. I brought my friends Haroon (Indian) and Yuma (Japanese/German) to visit my hometown and that seemed to be the general perception.

To truly understand where you should move, you would have to tell us what jobs you're looking for or what your degree is in. Wisconsin is evolving but the recession has killed a lot of low education level jobs so the market there is fairly competitive. Other areas like the Fox River Valley (Appleton) and the Madison or Milwaukee metros may have more opportunities as of right now, but they also have more competition and thriving universities churning out their own college grads.

I hope this helps.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:43 AM

4,723 posts, read 14,682,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post

What are people like in WI? Are they nicer than Minnesotans? I'm telling you...I have lived in MN for a long time, but the people here suck like there's no tomorrow. No manners, very cliquey, no appreciation, and for as "liberal" and "open-minded" of a state this is politically, meeting people everyday would tell you a different story. Heehee if some of the people I knew found out I said that I'd be in deep trouble.

My husband's originally from WI. He moved here and met me, a city girl . As surprising as this is, I'm actually looking forward to moving there. One of the things I am dreading though is being asked what my ethnicity is. I'm not white (my husband is however) but I don't want to always be answering and explaining how I came to be.
Reminds me of that old story grandpas tell.
Guy asks the locals in the new town he is moving into, "What are the people like in this town"? So the local asks him, "what were they like in the town you left"?
"Oh, they were all mean, horrible, stuck up, not friendly,all close minded, I had to get out of there".

"Well, said the local, then I am afraid thats what you will find here".

Old 03-03-2010, 11:23 AM

2,199 posts, read 3,226,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Reminds me of that old story grandpas tell.
Guy asks the locals in the new town he is moving into, "What are the people like in this town"? So the local asks him, "what were they like in the town you left"?
"Oh, they were all mean, horrible, stuck up, not friendly,all close minded, I had to get out of there".

"Well, said the local, then I am afraid thats what you will find here".
That is very true!

It seems to me that there are a lot of broad brush stroke generalizations made on these boards about how good or bad people are in certain locations.

I have lived in many areas, including several towns in WI and without doubt, you will find good and bad in every place.

Attitude makes a big difference. For example when we moved here to Chicago area from WI, I was amazed at # of WI people who said they would never want to live with FIBS or flatlanders or whatever else you want to call Chicago area people. Yea right - as if an area of several million people is nothing but jerks, jagoffs and whatnot.

Good post nanannie.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:34 AM

3,056 posts, read 5,964,140 times
It's a broad brush stroke but on the whole pretty in the ballpark of accuracy. There are of course many other places in the State one could live, but as you say the employment is it's own challenge.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:24 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,561,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananamana View Post

As for your ethnicity...well, unfortunately the snow isn't the only white thing dominating Wisconsin. Wausau, however, is one of the largest points of immigration for the Hmong population (I'm an ESL teacher so I was taught about this while pursuing my degree). There is also a large Hispanic community in the area but that's really about it. If you are a little dark, you're probably going to be assumed to be Hispanic. If you seem Asian, you're probably going to be assumed to be Hmong. I brought my friends Haroon (Indian) and Yuma (Japanese/German) to visit my hometown and that seemed to be the general perception.
I'm not very dark and I definitely don't look "Asian" as in Far East Asian. And I don't really look Hispanic either and my english is very good, well that tends to throw off alot of people. I'm actually Southeast Asian but even in MN I tend to get mistaken for being alot of other things because I'm not very dark. Hopefully the nose piercing would clear alot of that up, we'll see.

I'm in social services and am looking for a job in that area, but I doubt I'll get exactly what I want. With my upcoming degree and experience, I would imagine that I'd be qualified for some jobs in hospital, clinic settings, non-profits? I tried doing some job searches but haven't really yielded anything. I'll be getting a bachelor's if that helps. Ideally, I'd want something by the beginning of next year that's full-time and pays at least 40K.

And btw, that grandpa saying...haha I heard that in church just the other day :P. Maybe I am making sweeping generalizations but I've lived in MN for almost 20 years and it's been the same kinds of people over and over, no matter how nice you are or whatever. My husband even commented on that when he moved over here. But then again, that could have been because people tend to make this "ohh..." sound when someone says they are from rural Wisconsin. You know, that "ohh" sound that I'm talking about.

ROFL-- my in-laws say "FIBS" alot...especially in the summer when people come up to WI to go camping at the lakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin