U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2010, 05:15 PM

180 posts, read 628,575 times

Advertisements

Hello city-data!

I'm inquiring on behalf of my mother (who I eluded to in another post). She lives in Manitowoc and works in Green Bay and is dissatisfied with the quality of life there... mainly because she finds the people to be too jaded, judgmental and closed-minded.

(Before anyone starts in with the "maybe it's just her" type posts, know that my mother is the type of person that gives everyone and everything a chance... maybe even to a fault... and definitely does NOT typically make blanket statements about entire cities.)

I've suggested moving to Milwaukee, and while she's open to the idea, she's not really a "city person." But this is Wisconsin and there's that old addage that if you want progressive attitudes your choices are limited to the two "M" cities. I really don't want to believe that's true, so I'm wondering if such thing as a progressive small town exists in our state.

I'm not necessarily looking for somewhere that artsy, pretentious or any other thing that people tend to associate with "progress" (although lots of live music would be nice). Just somewhere with quality trails for biking/running (prefereably near water) where she wouldn't have to worry about someone smashing her windows just because there's an Obama sticker on her truck... which rules out pretty much the entire eastern half of the state. I would imagine my prospects would be better in the western half of the state, but I don't know it nearly as well.

That's pretty much it... thank you in advance for any suggestions or leads.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 09:04 PM

2,957 posts, read 3,643,970 times
East Troy maybe? It's about 40 miles away from Madison. Sorry I couldn't be more of help. Also, she's probably safe to stay away from the Fox Cities area. It's not truely conservative (she won't get her truck windows smashed for having an Obama sticker, as you put it) but not really liberal either.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:48 PM

2,559 posts, read 4,885,427 times
Not quite a small town, but maybe La Crosse?

Old 03-02-2010, 10:13 PM

5,530 posts, read 11,121,629 times
^Oh man -- I just had to comment on that one! My wife is from La Crosse and we frequent the area now since we live in Minneapolis (including a trip this weekend), but I have just got to ask what makes you think La Crosse is progressive? See to me it is almost as if the clock stopped ticking in La Crosse 30 or 40 years ago and everone just got older. Don't get me wrong, I kind of dig La Crosse and I'm not bashing it, but I just don't see it as progressive, so I'm hoping there is something I'm missing.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:59 AM

1,876 posts, read 4,172,017 times
Well I lived there 7 1/2 years as a kid and I never noticed Rice Lake to be unwelcoming to "outsiders." Granted this is a child and young teen's point of view, but seriously.... I didn't. Even when I moved back briefly as a young adult, I still didn't.

BTW - haven't been on much because I got the first phase of my move done. I'm currently at the "pit stop" before the actual move to Wisconsin - a relative's house. I'm staying here 6-8 months to earn some extra money. In return I'll just do chores around here and try not to run up the electric bill. Very nice of them I have to say.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:58 AM

2,559 posts, read 4,885,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
^Oh man -- I just had to comment on that one! My wife is from La Crosse and we frequent the area now since we live in Minneapolis (including a trip this weekend), but I have just got to ask what makes you think La Crosse is progressive? See to me it is almost as if the clock stopped ticking in La Crosse 30 or 40 years ago and everone just got older. Don't get me wrong, I kind of dig La Crosse and I'm not bashing it, but I just don't see it as progressive, so I'm hoping there is something I'm missing.
I guess it depends on how you define "progressive," which is why I said "maybe"-- Overall, the southwestern part of the state along the Mississippi votes with the Democratic party, and people tend to have a "live-and-let-live" attitude toward other people. In the context of Wisconsin, this could be considered progressive. (This is classic, midwestern progressivism.)

On the other hand, La Crosse isn't "progressive" in the sense of adopting the latest trends and embracing the most recent causes. The OP's mother would have to go to Madison or Milwaukee to find lots of interest in green technology, recycling, freecycling, veganism, and other such things. (This is more akin to bicoastal progressivism.)

Old 03-03-2010, 03:47 PM

180 posts, read 628,575 times
Yea, it doesn't have to be a town full of "hardcore activists" (to put it one way). The type of environment quijote described would work just fine. Although she is a vegetarian, so a place with a vegetarian restaurant (or one nearby) would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
East Troy maybe? It's about 40 miles away from Madison. Sorry I couldn't be more of help. Also, she's probably safe to stay away from the Fox Cities area. It's not truely conservative (she won't get her truck windows smashed for having an Obama sticker, as you put it) but not really liberal either.
heh... that actually happened... TWICE. And both times were in Green Bay. Maybe I can't say that's DEFINITELY why it happened, but it never happened before she put the sticker on. And she drives a small '92 chevy pickup with ZERO bells and whistles like a stereo or GPS (I tease her for being "amish") and nothing valuable was inside, so I can't imagine any other reason why her truck would've been targeted aside from the fact that some people (especially in that part of the state, apparently) are just intolerant dicks.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:40 PM

2,957 posts, read 3,643,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solas View Post
Yea, it doesn't have to be a town full of "hardcore activists" (to put it one way). The type of environment quijote described would work just fine. Although she is a vegetarian, so a place with a vegetarian restaurant (or one nearby) would be nice.

heh... that actually happened... TWICE. And both times were in Green Bay. Maybe I can't say that's DEFINITELY why it happened, but it never happened before she put the sticker on. And she drives a small '92 chevy pickup with ZERO bells and whistles like a stereo or GPS (I tease her for being "amish") and nothing valuable was inside, so I can't imagine any other reason why her truck would've been targeted aside from the fact that some people (especially in that part of the state, apparently) are just intolerant dicks.
Wow, that just blows me away! I didn't realize Green Bay could be so intolerant. On the flip side, my neighbors' (I live in De Pere) McCain sign was stolen, written on (with very rude statements) and left of their doorstep the next morning. It's not as bad as smashing the windows, but still..

Old 03-31-2010, 10:04 PM

279 posts, read 712,494 times
middleton would sound a lot better - although it's basically suburban madison. a true small town that is more progressive would be wausau. certainly not a liberal town but much more balanced than eastern wisconsin. there are idiots everywhere but fox valley and further east has more than their fair share.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:29 PM

292 posts, read 840,610 times
Stevens Point/Amhearst area to me all has a very hippish progressive feel to me. My sister lives in Stoughton just south of Madison and she loves it. The city for the most part is accepting with a nice mix of views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>