Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2010, 07:46 PM

322 posts, read 1,103,126 times

Advertisements

In Late may im thinking about visiting Sheboygan and i just was wondering if anyone can tell me what there all is to see in sheboygan im planning on staying about a week hopefully longer just basic good eats activities things to see stuff like that hopefully it's relatively warm there in late june but yeah just stuff to do in sheboygan in early june any advice? thanks = )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 12:43 PM

114 posts, read 325,761 times
I don't live there, but have family in the area. I'd look into:

* Kohler Arts Center ... it is in downtown Sheboygan, not the nearby Village of Kohler. Be sure to go in ALL the bathrooms (bring someone of the opposite sex to help you ... don't worry, the center is used to it)
* American Club and Kohler Showroom .. yes, they ARE in Kohler. The American Club has nice restaurants, and even the casual pub (the Horse & Plow in the basement) has good food for a fair price. The Kohler Showroom is interesting even if you're not looking to buy plumbing fixtures, and don't forget to check out the museum in the basement.
* Kohler - Andrae State Park ... this is on Lake Michigan south of Sheboygan (again, not in or really near Kohler). Nice collection of sand dunes with a boardwalk, and the water *might* be warm enough to swim in.

For things not named Kohler:
* Blue Harbor Resort ... indoor waterpark, few different restaurants, decent beach on Lake Michigan, right across the river from downtown Sheboygan
* find at least one (preferably three or four) places to eat bratwurst on Sheboygan hard rolls
* Deland Park / Harbor Centre Marina - sit and watch the boats, walk out on the breakwall to the lighthouse

Old 03-05-2010, 01:17 PM

228 posts, read 664,933 times
FYI on Blue Harbor- you need to stay there to be able to access the waterpark.

There are some other activities around Sheboygan as well- especially if you play golf (and dont necessarily have to play at the fancy Herb Kohler Approved courses.

Elkhart Lake west of Kohler and Sheboygan usually has something going on, especially if the road racing season is up and running. Cute town to do a half day trip and really pretty to drive back in the moraine.

If you fish then you can get on a charter boat that leaves from Sheboygan as well for a half or full day.

Visit Randalls for a real malt and butterburger- why go to Culvers when you can get the real thing at Randalls They also have brats on the real hardrolls- however, if its a Saturday or Sunday swing past a Piggly Wiggly or Pick N Save as there is always a charity brat fry going on. The Pig even has a special stand for groups to use. If you are on the north side and with a local, you can also try the meat market Miesfelds for a charity fry. Charcoal Inn (north side) also does more traditional brats on the buns. (the buns are critical- it pisses me off to no end to see ppl eating brats on HOT DOG BUNS here at the 'worlds largest brat fry" in madison in the summer)

Hopefully well have a warmer spring/summer this year.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:37 PM

114 posts, read 325,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sondra_finchley View Post
FYI on Blue Harbor- you need to stay there to be able to access the waterpark.
Has that changed recently? I went there a couple of years ago and we paid for a day pass. Oh well, if you're interested in that kind of thing, djames9, I'd call to verify.

See, as sondra pointed out, the hardrolls are a critical part of the brat-eating experience in Sheboygan.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:57 AM

228 posts, read 664,933 times
You could also do Friday Fish Fry at Schwartz's fish market- its down on the riverwalk. FFF is a big deal in the Sheboygan area but be aware that Schwartz's doesnt have tables (at least not that I remember)- carryout only. Zieggys on the south side (a bar- just beyond the roundabout on the other side of the bridge from Schwartzes) usually has fish fry as well, but we havent been there for ages, so I cant vouch for how good it is now.

My parents report that the Duke of Devon pub also down on the boardwalk has great traditional-style british pub food and good beer on tap.

High-end eateries would be Trattoria Stefano downtown, and there used to be a fantastic Spanish place called Biro, but I think that closed. Some cute bars on North 8th Street Ive yet to check out. If you want to head out to Whistling Straits, you can get lunch/dinner at the restaurant out there, although I thought the food was better at Blackwolf Run.

If its raining and you are a spa-type of person, you can get a day pass to the Kohler Waters spa for $40- allows you use of the common areas (rooftop jacuzzi and fireplace, this shallow pool by the entrance) as well as steam, sauna, and jacuzzi+plunge pools in the locker rooms. A good way to escape and feel like you are well-off without paying their outrageous service prices

Re: Blue Harbor- that is a funky property in the GWR portfolio- the usual rules never really applied to that resort. I would call and check to make sure, as crapt suggested.

If you bike/rollerblade or just enjoy walking, there is also the very long bike path that runs from somewhere in Sheboygan out to just about Plymouth- runs along the highway. I know you can pick it up in Kohler. Also- the state park located down by Lake Church, WI (about 20 minutes south of Sheboygan on the interstate) has lake access and some nice nature walks around the quarry.

Are you from Wisconsin? Because if you want warm, fresh, squeaky cheese curds then make a run down to Gibbsville on a Monday morning- Gibbsville Cheese, Made in Wisconsin. Site says they are in Sheboygan Falls, but there really is a little town called Gibbsville. Speaking of Falls- you can always stop at Evans downtown for a bizarre dime-store experience- Ive found deodorant on sale there from 1982!

Old 03-06-2010, 10:10 PM

thanks guys for the valuable advice i'll try to write this info down so that i'll have it with me when i go on my trip to sheboygan

Old 03-08-2010, 07:44 AM

i definitely have not lived in Wisconsin or am from wisconsin...lol I'm really looking forward to experiencing the differences of Wisconsin traditions as opposed to what life is like out in California. I've lived in Illinois but it's probably not like wisconsin. Having said that i've also lived in 6 other states so it's nothing new to me to experience different places in the US. But i can't wait to go eat at Culver's !!! i missed out on doing that last time I'm definitely doing that this time... =) I Can't wait...

Old 07-20-2010, 02:30 PM

3 posts, read 8,047 times
You probably already made your trip to sheboygan! How ever I would like to point out to anyone else that might read this that you do not have to stay at blue harbor to go to the water park! The only time that they are closed to the public is when there are to many guests staying and they are sold out of rist bands (only so many people can go to the water park because of fire code) we have only stayed there once but go to the water park twice a month most months. And if by chance they are sold out of rist bands you can still go to the restraunts visit the ice cream shot and play some games in the arcade. Plus its fun to walk around the resort and make sure you check out the pretty fountain. There are tons of other things to do in sheboygan though. Hanging on the beach is fun and the water is very pretty. There is also a new mini golf course in the harbor area by blue harbor and it is an out door one. There are also dinner cruises and lake cruises tickets are sold across from blue harbor.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:28 AM

507 posts, read 878,558 times
Good.
And thats more than you can so for most of US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin