Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 02:49 PM

71 posts, read 192,019 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone,

Well, a few months ago I took a trip with a friend to the Baraboo area and met my future husband there.

We have been living a long-distance relationship for a while, but I am now going to be moving to the Baraboo/Reedsburgh area when we get married.

He is a farmer and lives out in the country. I am a city girl.

So, I'm hoping someone involved with the agricultural industry out there can clue me in on what to expect as far as lifestyle, things to do, jobs (I'm in education). I guess what I'm really asking is...What have I gotten myself into?

I'm moving from just outside Cincinnati, where you can find anything you want as far as restaurants, museums, sports, stores, etc. The farthest I would ever half to drive for anything is about a half hour.

What kind of conveniences might I be giving up? Anything else I need to know? Just want to be as educated about my future home as possible.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 11:42 AM

570 posts, read 1,753,198 times
I think living in the country with a bunch of your own property is the greatest thing there is, but it's not for everyone. I can't wait to move back to the country in Wisconsin from here in Phoenix.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:01 PM

647 posts, read 1,663,726 times
Sorry, but the 1st thing that popped into my head was the theme song to Green Acres. hahaha

Old 03-08-2010, 12:07 PM

570 posts, read 1,753,198 times
It's the place to be!

Old 03-08-2010, 12:41 PM

335 posts, read 1,208,834 times
you will be just fine!! I used to live in Lake Delton and if you are leaving cincinatti for the baraboo area you have made a wonderful call. Just enjoy the outdoors and farm work. It can be relaxing if you take it for what it is..IMPORTANT!!! Enjoy your new love and your new area. If the love is strong it really won't matter where you are. Good luck and have a wonderful time in baraboo. I did!!!

Old 03-08-2010, 09:36 PM

365 posts, read 1,010,377 times
Um... If I were you I wouldn't do it until spending some time in the area he lives. It most likely will be quite a change for you & you should make sure you're ready & willing! Can't you come up & stay for a week to see what it's like? If you like the life you have now, along with the conveniences that come with it & aren't fond of big changes, I'd think twice.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:38 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
If you need a quick dose of civilization or a night on the town, Madison is only half an hour away. No, it's not as big as Cincinnati but it's pretty urbane for a city of its size.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:47 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,410,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankejp View Post
Sorry, but the 1st thing that popped into my head was the theme song to Green Acres. hahaha
Me too! hahaha... oh my God. They need a "roll on the floor laugh" emoticon.

I don't know anything about Baraboo, but it's slightly bigger than my old hometown in the northern part of the state. (Baraboo has about 3,000 more... total of just over 11,000.) I would imagine Baraboo will have everything you need. Grocery stores, clothes stores, a Wal-Mart, a mall, restaurants, that kind of thing. And if you research, I'm sure there are some music/film/art-related things too and small festivals. But for the big things, you'll obviously have to drive to Madison. It'll be slightly longer than a half-hour drive, but it's not too far. Just think of it as an excuse for a road trip. I love road trips. And WI is a beautiful place to drive through. Even Milwaukee or Chicago aren't too terribly far if there is something in either of those places you'd really want to see once in a while. Obviously it'll be a bit of a change, but where you're moving to is hardly the middle of nowhere. Good luck with the move and the marriage!

Old 03-09-2010, 03:26 PM

114 posts, read 325,875 times
That is a really nice area. I'm much more familiar with Baraboo and Lake Delton / Wisconsin Dells than Reedsburg, but if you're somewhere in the triangle formed by the three, then you're close enough to any of them. Yes, compared to a big city, you won't find the scale and variety of activities and attractions, but it has plenty to offer.

Baraboo has a nice downtown, with a small zoo, the Circus World Museum, and lots of small shops, etc. West Baraboo has the big box grocery, Menards, Super WalMart, etc. In my opinion, the best State Park in Wisconsin, Devil's Lake, is just a few miles south of town. The whole area, with the Baraboo Hills, is beautiful.

Lake Delton / Wisconsin Dells is a huge tourist area, and the self-proclaimed waterpark capital of the world. Because of this draw, not only are there lots of recreational activities, but lots of shopping, restaurants, etc. The southern part (so, closest to Reedsburg and Baraboo) has the big new indoor waterpark resorts and the outlet mall. Downtown Wisconsin Dells is at the northern end, and in the middle is the Dells version of the Strip, where the big and primarily outdoor waterparks and theme parks are. The annual passes to these places are comparatively cheap (usually a few days worth of admission ... they make the money off the weekend and daily tourists), so if you're in to that kind of thing, take advantage of it. For example, $120 gets you a year-long pass to Mt Olympus, so you can ride roller coasters, waterslides, go-karts, etc to your heart's delight, and that includes the indoor waterpark for those colder months.

Finally, if you're up for blackjack, Ho-Chunk is right in between the three communities.

As others have mentioned, Madison is close enough for some other activities, but if you want true big-city offerings, well, you'll be about halfway between Chicago and the Twin Cities.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:07 AM

22 posts, read 52,156 times
The Circus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin