Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2010, 07:27 AM

647 posts, read 1,663,880 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking of taking an Amtrak from Wisconsin to Texas, just for the fun of riding a train (Never done it.) I was on their site and I know when I drive by Portage, there's a sign for Amtrak, but when I try to depart from Portage, it says it's not a valid place. So what is it then? I would have to leave from Milwaukee.

just curious if anyone knows, before I contact them.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 07:32 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,557,502 times
Go to Amtrak

You can check out schedules, locations and rates there.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:43 AM

Done that already. I'm wondering what kind of station the Portage place is, since it says I can't board on there.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:52 AM

292 posts, read 891,584 times
The Amtrak web site kind of sucks. But Go to www.amtrak.com then in the middle of the page is a banner that says Other Options then 5 lines down it says Multi-City Tickets click on that and it will allow you to plan a trip starting in Portage, WI.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:37 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankejp View Post
I'm wondering what kind of station the Portage place is, since it says I can't board on there.
Unstaffed, according to Amtrak - Portage, WI

Try Columbus instead. Amtrak - Columbus, WI

Old 04-09-2010, 09:09 AM

Thanks Bowie. Must just be a drop off point or something.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:22 PM

711 posts, read 1,689,577 times
Quote:
Thanks Bowie. Must just be a drop off point or something.
When I took the train a couple of years ago, the problem was you needed official tickets that only manned stations could dispense. So, if you went in to a manned station and purchased your ticket, you could set it up so that you leave from an unmanned station. However, you can't do that online, otherwise you would get to the unmanned station and not have a ticket to board.

I hope that helps, it's a little confusing...

Old 04-10-2010, 12:07 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,612,023 times
Joe you can take Amtrak out of the Dells, I live in Portage and I don't recall anyone being able to board there. I jumped on the Amtrak in Wisconsin Dells about 11 years ago so I can only assume it's still available. I would look at going out west versus down towards texas. Much more scenery out west and your camera will get plenty of use!

Old 04-10-2010, 12:24 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Quote:
I've been thinking of taking an Amtrak from Wisconsin to Texas, just for the fun of riding a train (Never done it.) I was on their site and I know when I drive by Portage, there's a sign for Amtrak, but when I try to depart from Portage, it says it's not a valid place. So what is it then? I would have to leave from Milwaukee.

just curious if anyone knows, before I contact them.

Thanks
You Can always take a Freight train to where ever you want and it's free too!

Okay a little admission here, I used to ride freight trains to go to brewer games from the south side when I was in high school.

YouTube - Catching Out: a film about people hopping freight trains

Old 04-17-2010, 06:08 PM

114 posts, read 325,907 times
I'm wondering why no one would be able to board at Portage. It is simply listed as an unstaffed station, just like the Dells. If you buy your tickets online at least 4 days in advance, you can have them mailed to you. You won't be able to check luggage at Portage, but I don't know why you wouldn't be able to get off or on there.

For the O.P., the schedules of the Empire Builder (Portage - Chi) and Texas Eagle (Chi - Texas) are not conducive for your trip anyway, so you'd be better off taking a bus to Chicago, or getting to Milwaukee and taking the Hiawatha to Chicago to connect to the Texas Eagle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin