Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 10:02 PM

29 posts, read 83,213 times

Advertisements

We live in MN and are planning to spend a week this summer travelling through Wisconsin with our 4yo. We're planning on going through Madison, definitely spending 2-3 days in Door County, and probably a couple of days around Baraboo/Wisconsin Dells. We're planning on a mix of camping and, when in bigger cities, pricelining hotels to stay downtown. Would folks recommend Madison, Milwaukee, or Green Bay for a neat downtown experience and any other neat city-stuff? Any other suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 01:41 AM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,189,342 times
If you're traveling between Milwaukee and Green Bay I suggest stopping at the beach in Kohler-Andrae State Park, just south of Sheboygan. If you're in Madison on a Saturday morning be sure to stop at the Farmer's market around the Capitol Square, from about 7 AM to 12:30 PM each Sat morning in summer. Madison also has free zoo (Henry Vilas Zoo) that is just the place for a 4 yo.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:01 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
For Milwaukee I would go to the Art Museum of course, the Harley Museum and Pier Wisconsin which houses Discovery World(great for kids). There is always a festival going on in Milwaukee, every Friday in August, River Flicks is a free outdoor movie festival held in Pere Marquette Park along the Milwaukee River (on Third and Kilbourn.). River Rhythms every Wednesday during the summer in Pere Marquette Park, featuring a wide variety of diverse and eclectic music. Ethnic festivals run every weekend in Summer at Milwaukee's Summerfest grounds. Milwaukee has a beautiful lake front for having a picnic or riding bikes or enjoying the sun at Bradford Beach. You could take a lake cruise out in lake Michigan as well on Milwaukee Boat Lines. Here are a few links to help with your questions.

http://onmilwaukee.com/buzz/articles/100morethings.html

OnMilwaukee.com Kids & Family: 100 things for kids to do in Milwaukee, 2010

MKE Festivals: the City of Festivals--Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Old 04-17-2010, 01:06 PM

365 posts, read 779,493 times
Green Bay doesn't have much retail left downtown so I wouldn't spend time in the downtown area if you stop in Green Bay, unless it is during the tall ship festival, bayfest or any other special event they may be holding downtown while you would be there.

That said, they do have many non-downtown venues you may enjoy. With a four year old you definitely would want to go to Bay Beach which is an amusement park operated by the City on the bayshore. Rides are geared toward small children and are very inexpensive. Packer Hall of fame and Lambeau Filed tours are another crowd pleaser. If you're into trains the National Railroad museum is there. Green Bay also has a great family freindly zoo, with picnic tables, about ten miles north of the City in the suburb of Suamico. The Green Bay Botanical Gardens are also quite nice if you enjoy gardening or just looking at pretty flowers. And finally you may want to check out Heritage Hill State park in the suburb of Allouez which has a collection of old buildings dating back to when Green Bay was La Baye -- Wisconsin's oldest settlement.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:19 PM

29 posts, read 83,213 times
Thanks so much for your ideas!

It looks like we're going to be doing a bit of a loop. Is there anything neat to see between Green Bay and the Dells? Between the Dells and Lacrosse?

Old 04-24-2010, 09:35 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
I'd like to know, myself. I'm going to visit both Stevens Point and Wausau. Between the two places is Mosinee--and I'm going to keep my windows rolled up when driving through that area!

Old 04-24-2010, 10:04 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geomom View Post
Thanks so much for your ideas!

It looks like we're going to be doing a bit of a loop. Is there anything neat to see between Green Bay and the Dells? Between the Dells and Lacrosse?
I've always loved the Spring Green area, just west of Madison. This is where Frank Lloyd Wright lived a good part of his life in his home, Taliesin. They give tours in the summer (look on the internet to schedule), or just a drive by is worth it. Also, driving up from Milwaukee to Door County, you could stop in Kohler to see the beautiful Whistling Straits golf course, where the 2010 PGA Championship will be played this summer. Anyway, those are two of my favorite stops on those routes.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:56 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geomom View Post
We live in MN and are planning to spend a week this summer travelling through Wisconsin with our 4yo. We're planning on going through Madison, definitely spending 2-3 days in Door County, and probably a couple of days around Baraboo/Wisconsin Dells. We're planning on a mix of camping and, when in bigger cities, pricelining hotels to stay downtown. Would folks recommend Madison, Milwaukee, or Green Bay for a neat downtown experience and any other neat city-stuff? Any other suggestions? Thanks!
You can take in all there is to see in downtown Green Bay in about half an hour -- might as well roll through it on your way to Door County. I'd say downtown Madison has just the right amount of stuff to do to fit in to a busy trip, including the capitol building and the children's museum. A visit to Milwaukee might be best saved for when you have more time to stay for a few days.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:34 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You can take in all there is to see in downtown Green Bay in about half an hour -- might as well roll through it on your way to Door County. I'd say downtown Madison has just the right amount of stuff to do to fit in to a busy trip, including the capitol building and the children's museum. A visit to Milwaukee might be best saved for when you have more time to stay for a few days.
Highlights of Madison for those without children? I'm figuring on driving directly towards Madison then turning north for my own trip. I'm concerned about the potential of getting lost/missing my turn-offs with the other route from Milwaukee to central WI.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:21 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,167,707 times
About the only thing I know about Wisconsin is the Sturgeon Bay area. There are some nice places to view all the boats and also a tour boat you can take a ride on. There is a dairy where you can buy locally made cheese, candy, ice cream, and even watch the cows being milked.
You can drive up one side of the peninsula and back down the other side and go through the small towns and see the tourist attractions. I forget the route numbers but they both meet back in Sturgeon Bay. I went through one little town and a restaurant had a grass roof with live goats walking around on the roof. Guess that's where they get their goat milk for fudge, etc. Got a picture of that.
There are a lot of things to see and do around the Sturgeon Bay area in fairly close proximity.
There are parks, playgrounds, museums, animal farms you can tour, etc.
Even a lighthouse isn't far away.
I enjoyed my visit there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin