U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 12:44 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,430,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
I think it's cool how Wisconsin has their Baseball and Basketball team in their biggest city - Milwaukee. Their NFL team in Green Bay. And their biggest College and Capital in Madison, all a decent way from each other.

In Minnesota it's all in the same town pretty much.
I like how you're never that far from civilization (pop. 50,000+) no matter where you are in WI. For a medium sized state, we really do seem to have a lot of small metropolitan areas scattered all over the state, areas such as: Eau Claire, La Crosse, Platteville, Wausau, Stevens Point, Marshfield, WI Rapids, Fond Du Lac, Beaver Dam, Watertown, Superior, Manitowoc, Sheboygan, Rhinelander, and Marinette, in addition to the larger areas like Milwaukee, Madison, and Green Bay/Fox Cities.

I think we're very fortunate to have so many options within a relatively short distance. The south central part of our state has prairies, there's a small prehistoric mountain range in the western portion, there are thousands of glacial lakes and untouched wilderness in the Northwoods, we have coastline on 2 of the Great Lakes, we have some great urban centers of our own, but we're also very close to both the Twin Cities and Chicagoland metropolitan areas. I'd say we definitely have one of the nicest states in the US.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 01:28 PM

947 posts, read 2,211,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
I like how you're never that far from civilization (pop. 50,000+) no matter where you are in WI. For a medium sized state, we really do seem to have a lot of small metropolitan areas scattered all over the state, areas such as: Eau Claire, La Crosse, Platteville, Wausau, Stevens Point, Marshfield, WI Rapids, Fond Du Lac, Beaver Dam, Watertown, Superior, Manitowoc, Sheboygan, Rhinelander, and Marinette, in addition to the larger areas like Milwaukee, Madison, and Green Bay/Fox Cities.

I think we're very fortunate to have so many options within a relatively short distance. The south central part of our state has prairies, there's a small prehistoric mountain range in the western portion, there are thousands of glacial lakes and untouched wilderness in the Northwoods, we have coastline on 2 of the Great Lakes, we have some great urban centers of our own, but we're also very close to both the Twin Cities and Chicagoland metropolitan areas. I'd say we definitely have one of the nicest states in the US.
True dat.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:04 PM

1,878 posts, read 3,984,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
As a Minnesotan I never knew Wisconsin had those rolling hills until I drove from Duluth all the way through WI to Chicago. Much more scenic of a state than some parts of Minnesota. Both states are pretty cool in my opinion.

I always thought of Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan as friends.

I wish the Brewers were in the American League Central, and not the crusty Royals.

I know! The drive from Duluth on south towards anywhere in the state is beautiful. You're right, I don't think the average person who hasn't been to Wisconsin knows about those rolling hills. Amazing in the fall.

I'm not sure what the average person who has never been here pictures in their head. Flatland and farms, I guess. What a lot of people don't know - Wisconsin is very big on turkey farming as well. I'm not clear on this statistic, but I heard from somewhere that WI is 7th in the nation for turkey farming. My grandpa managed them for years in Barron County. I learned to ride my bike on a turkey farm and gave a baby turkey a ride in my bicycle basket once. Not recommended. It gets their bowels moving, if you know what I mean...

Scenic-wise, I think Western Wisconsin and Northern/Eastern Minnesota are very similar. The drive through Northern Minnesota is gorgeous, esp. in the fall. My hometown is just an hour and a half from the Minnesota border. We were in Minnesota a lot, so I consider both states my home and are quite similar.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
really extreme eastern and northern MN should be lumped in with Wisconsin and everything to the west and south should be lumped into "dakotas" .. once you get outside the driftless area it's all pretty flat and barren...
I agree with that. Once you get into Western Minnesota, on the freeway, the scenery is more similar to North Dakota. More flat. Lakes/water still abound in Minnesota though, pretty much all the way through. Then North Dakota is about the most boring drive. haha... Until you get into the "Boobie Hills" (as I call 'em) in the Western Part. You just have to see them to understand.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Wisconsin is "the most beautiful state in the country" ? Parts of Wisconsin are very pretty indeed,but
Have you BEEN to other states,,Oregon? Washington? Hawaii?
Vermont? etc etc etc
My mom loved Vermont when she took a vacation out east a couple summers ago, but she said it's too desolate for her taste.
The pictures were nice though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
The poster said "border to border" which you conveniently left out. Eastern Washington and Oregon are hideous wastelands that resemble the state of Nevada.
Yes. My stepdad is from a town called Coulee Dam, Washington. That region of the state is nothing to write home about. Really. The scenery is fascinating in a way. I did like visiting his parents there when they were alive, but... it's nothing I'd want to look at every single day.

Here's a picture ~>
File:City of coulee dam WA.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-08-2010, 12:09 PM

17 posts, read 40,339 times
Default Been to all of them .. Midwest is still best

I have flyfished in 35 states, So I have intimately enjoyed the most grand and beautiful places in the US. Still pick Wisconsin at the top of my list.. Conceed that the beauty can be more subtle in Iowa County, Wi than Sonoma County, Ca. The beauty I see in Wisconsin is as a place to live every day witnessing the changing seasons, not as just a vacation. A narrow clear, cold stream flowing through a Wis. pasture along a limestone bluff on a hot cloudless, humid July afternoon is infinately preferrable to the Deschutes in Or or the Alaska rivers where I cought my first Salmon. For me , the upper Midwest Is the United States . Would gladly confine my remaining time on the planet within the borders of Wisconsin.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:49 PM

12,763 posts, read 12,533,511 times
I just got back from a bus trip to Pella, Iowa and it was interesting to hear people on the bus talk about how pretty it was driving through SW Wisc. into Iowa and wow Iowa isn't flat either!

When I told a friend I was going on a bus trip from Two Rivers to Pella, Iowa, they said, oh that will be a boring ride, Iowa is not too interesting. On the contrary, the countryside was super looking, nice and green from recent rains, and a wonderful ride!

Old 05-12-2010, 12:31 PM
cbz

22 posts, read 103,162 times
Default Onalaska / La Crosse WI? Possible Move

Hi, my husband is a candidate for a job in Onalaska WI and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about the HS in Onalaska, La Crosse, Holmen or West Salem? Most interested in good/smart/accepting kids - safe environment, strong academically.

Any insights would be helpful! Thank you.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:25 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,306,390 times
Synopsis:

Minnesota is the eastern part of the West, while Wisconsin is the western part of the East.

Old 10-09-2010, 04:09 PM

2,953 posts, read 9,260,695 times
Geechie North,

Awesome post. Never thought of it that way but it's very accurate.

Also true about Iowa not being flat either. But then again, most areas in the Midwest aren't truelly flat. Kansas has rolling hills and terrain as does Oklahoma, Missouri has very hilly areas not much unlike Western Wisconsin...and even the flatter areas in these states is nothing like paper flat Florida, for example.

I think in general the midwest gets labeled as boring scenery because of the lack of simply stunning mountains or oceans, but that doesn't mean there isn't something remarkable about prairies, farms, pastures, tree stands, ponds, rivers and quaint towns.

I also think there is beauty is the deserts, which are a total contrast to this region.

If you have an open mind about what beauty is, you will find it everywhere you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin