Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 10:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,914 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Park Falls. Left town at 19 to see the world and spent the next 10 years primarily on the west coast. I moved back to Park Falls a few years ago to settle down and start a family. I will probably not leave again.

I think Park Falls is an amazing place to live. Actually, most communities in Northern Wisconsin are very special if you are the type of person who can appreciate this type of environment.

Having lived on the west coast, I would never say that Park Falls is an 'expensive' place to live. You can easily get waterfront property in the area for under 200k (though not much less than that).

Here are some local real estate listings for the area:

removed

Park Falls has a very good school system...though I'm personally not thrilled with the local clinic or hospital (mostly relating to the pediatrics department - which they lack). Our family goes to Woodruff (about 40 miles east) for all of our medical needs.

Of course, being a relatively small town - you don't have the amenities you may be used to from a larger area. There isn't a lot of variety in food or in-town social activities. Aside from the High School Choir and Drama Club...there aren't concerts or plays that you can go to. I think the Library (which is excellent btw) offers yoga classes and other weekly events.

Obviously Hunting, Fishing, Snowmobiling and 4-Wheeling are big around here. Even if you don't enjoy these things...there are plenty of camping, hiking and cross country skiing opportunities. If you golf, there is a local golf course (http://www.parkfallscountryclub.com) (broken link). If you are into night-time socializing...the local taverns usually have pool leagues and the bowling leagues. As you already know...people are pretty friendly and easy going. Single women usually are overwhelmed with attention from men.....single men usually have a hard time finding a single woman. Unfortunately, if you're looking for love....most people end up meeting at a bar or some tavern-related event. Drinking or activities that include drinking is just a part of the local culture. It doesn't seem strange to me...but I grew up with it.

For Kids...hmm - the first thing that comes to mind are the sport activities related to school (baseball, football, gymnastics, etc etc) - which you said your kids weren't interested in. I know the school offer Karate classes ( or at least they used to ). There is a public swimming pool in town that is open in the summer. Several years ago they built a recreation center/ice rink. I know they sponsor the local hockey team, but I assume you can just go to ice skate as well. In the summer, most kids like going to the one of the Lakes for swimming, water skiing, tubing or sun bathing. There are gun/hunting clubs....4-wheeling clubs...things like that. There is also a movie theater down town (one screen - older building, but usually up to date on movie selections).

You may have problems with an Internet connection if you end up with a waterfront place. You can always get dial-up of course - but high speed options are mostly limited to the city or within a mile or two radius. You can always go with that WildBlue Satellite service though. I know of a couple of country people around here who has recently switched and love it.

It does get cold. *REALLY* cold. The kind of cold that you'll probably need to plug your car in at night so the battery doesn't go dead. Winters seem incredibly long - especially those last few months. Fall is absolutely beautiful. Summers can be incredibly hot and humid - but living on the waterfront will help with that.

I like the seasons. A little bit of everything. Having grown up with the cold, it doesn't bother me....but can understand how other people could hate it.

Anyways, this is getting kind of long. Hope the information helps and best of luck to you wherever you end up going.

Last edited by Marka; 09-19-2006 at 12:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2006, 12:25 PM

2 posts, read 8,788 times
Does Park Falls get many tourists?

Old 09-21-2006, 05:39 PM

Location: Outer edge of Portland metro, a stone's throw to the Clackamas R:)
38 posts, read 143,113 times
Default Great info, thanks!

Hey JPHurley, that was terrific info! I am glad to hear from someone who lives there, particularly someone who has moved away and has come back. I have been searching online for properties, mostly just to whet my appetite because I really can't move again until my son graduates from high school in 2008...I've moved him enough already, and it wouldn't be fair when I can wait a little longer. My daughter will be 10, tho, and she is outgoing and athletic. She likes to camp with me, and would probably be interested in many of the school and other activities you mentioned. My favorite activities are paddling and pedaling, sometimes both when I leave my bike downstream to shuttle back to the car.

The singles scene sounds interesting I've lived in small rural towns, so know about the tavern nightlife and social gatherings--can be quite fun. You are right, I have found people to be very friendly in all the small WI towns I've visited. Cold isn't a problem for me...lived thru many a -40 & greater winter in Montana, and both my vehicles already have engine warmer plugs hangin' out (not much need for this in Ohio).

Well, although I am looking at various places in the north, Park Falls is still my #1...really love the Flambeau!

I'll be up for a week this Christmas...staying in Minocqua, but will drive over to PF to get a taste of winter there. Will be skiing up at Indianhead/Powderhorn, too.

Thanks again, and feel free to tell me more!

Old 09-26-2006, 12:29 PM

3 posts, read 8,788 times
Have you ever looked into the Winter area. Small town (less than 400), nearly equal distance to Park Falls, Phillips, Hayward, and Ladysmith - about 30 miles. We have beautiful forests, rivers and lakes. The Chippewa River is wonderful and with houses or acerage for sale at reasonable prices. House are priced high on the Chippewa Flowage and the surrounding lakes though. A very quaint small town. Fishing, boating, swimming, hiking, biking, camping, canoeing, snowshoeing, snowmobiling and 4-wheeling are activities that many of the local enjoy doing and also what many people come here to do. Yet - we are not a heavily populated tourist trap!! A small town, with a lot to offer and beautiful scenery besides. I hope you consider taking the time to check it out.

Old 09-26-2006, 10:33 PM

Default Winter looks nice!

Thanks for the tip, I checked out some places on line. Will definitely give it a look-see when I'm there next. So, the usual things to do for social activity are probably the same there as anywhere small town WI, right? Any more info? Do you live there now?

Thanks!

Old 09-27-2006, 03:41 PM

3 posts, read 8,788 times
I do currently live in Winter. Moved here as a teenager with my family. Didn't want to - I thought it was a nice place to visit - but... Now I don't think I would leave. The normal things to do in a small town. The school is nice and it opens to the public for walking (during the colder months), volleyball and basketball in the gyms, library use, etc. Nice little library in town. Lots of community events is town or the surrounding ( 5-7 miles) small towns. People are friendly, willing to lend a helping hand. The closest clinic is about 10 miles away - very small, but fits the bill. Bigger clinics are 30 miles away in three different directions, so take your pick. Hope that helps a bit.

Old 09-30-2006, 06:14 PM

Default Sounds nice

Hey thanks Justme2,

Winter sounds just what I'm looking for. I think there will be several places to choose from, so it's nice to hear from people who are living in these small communities. I like small town living. I've lived half my life in more rural areas, and am living in a city right now. As a single person, I find this urban life somewhat lonely...hard to meet people, particularly people with interests similar to mine (outdoor activities). When I was in WI this summer, I had no trouble meeting people....Paddled down a couple rivers, and stopped at the local bars along the way. Always interesting! Brats, brew, cheese, Packers, bring it on

I'll definitely take a look-see at Winter when I get out there over Christmas.

Paddlingal

Old 02-04-2007, 01:21 PM

56 posts, read 369,762 times
As an economic tip---keep your eye on what happens in the near future to the pulp and paper mill in Park Falls. It's changed hands several times in the last 10 years----from Pentair to Frasier to Smart Papers (it went bankrupt under them) to (now) a group of private owners headed by "Butch" Johnson and is being operated under the name of Flambeau River Papers.

In talking recently to a friend who is an area banker/financier, the talk among those "in the know" is that the present ownership is probabaly not going to make it---they, too, are probably going to go under---and if so, 300+ jobs are gone, too. As you probably already know, the mill is the town of Park Falls. Good chance that there will be quite a bit of property come on the market if the mill closes----and, as per the old saw, "You can't eat the scenery"----there may well be some "buying opportunities" in hand.

Last edited by ChairborneRanger; 02-04-2007 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 08-06-2008, 12:06 AM

2 posts, read 5,149 times
Default Think Long and Hard before you move up here!!

I live It's a pretty area, a nice place to run away to for a weekend or a week - but it gets verrrrrry tiring having to drive 40 miles to the nearest WalMart and 2 hours to the nearest mall!!!

Might I suggest you look in the Eau Claire area? Great town. Lots for kids, great schools, jobs for kids out of school....

There's NOTHING around here in The Million Acre Swamp except hunting and fishing, and it's a pretty sad life for women.

Plus the winters drag on FOREVER.... the heating bills will KILL you if the boredom doesn't.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:16 AM

2 posts, read 5,149 times
And OMG do NOT move to Winter. The people here are *NOT* what I would call very friendly!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin