U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 02:14 PM

Location: Outer edge of Portland metro, a stone's throw to the Clackamas R:)
38 posts, read 134,323 times

Advertisements

Looking to relocate to the Northwoods, probably Park Falls area. Looking for info on schools/activities for kids, and for singles?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2006, 05:15 PM

2 posts, read 13,039 times
Do you like high prices, high taxes, cold winters and being a LONG ways from everywhere? Ok, PF is for you.....oh, if you like fishing, go somewhere else.

Old 08-08-2006, 06:35 PM

Default I like the outdoors

I like playing outside summer and winter, so that is why I like the northwoods area. Cost of living doesn't seem too bad compared to my current location (east of Cleveland, OH), groceries are less, gas a little higher, house prices less. I looked at Manitowish area but land/house prices are high.

I want to live on the water, but not too far from town. Park Falls seems like a nice town, small but with stuff to do. And a nice river to play on.

I did catch a fish, too.

So, just wondering about things for the kids to do other than organized sports, which they don't participate in.

If anyone has other places to suggest up there, I'd like to hear!

Thanks

Old 08-16-2006, 07:38 PM

9 posts, read 27,618 times
I live in Ladysmith WI............Nice area to live but not sure that there is much for the kids to do. Hunting, fishing, boating, etc. What types of things do your kids enjoy doing.

Within driving distance from Eau Claire and Rice Lake. We live along a river and there are a couple of house for sale, but they are in town.

Another option might be Holcombe (Lake Holcombe). Also seems to be lake front places for sale there.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:49 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,050,661 times
We have the usual football basketball track some swimming,volleyball and softball. Ladysmith has golf teams and such too.Alot of water in area to fish boat ski and just relax by.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:42 PM

Default Still looking

Hi, thanks for the info.

Two of my kids still live with me, but by the time I move (1-2 years) probably only my younger one will come with me.

We like to bike & camp, and she likes to play and be social...but is very adaptable.

I guess I am just looking for a nice small town, affordable waterfront (preferably moving water) so I can kayak, bike, hike, etc.

I have been to Park Falls, Phillips, Prentice, Manitowish, Mercer...don't want to live all the way up north (like Hurley), but am open to other areas. Hopefully this will be my last move...would like to find a nice house, reasonably priced (<$200K) on water.

My job is flexible, so I can work from home anywhere I can get internet & phone.

Appreciate your suggestions, will spend the next months looking & planning.

Old 08-31-2006, 09:38 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,050,661 times
Ladysmith has the homes on and near the river..The Flambeau is a big canoe/kayaking river with good rapids to shoot..Close to the blue hills for hiking and such.This town is actually starting to grow also..Winter fun at Blue Hills also with sking and tubing down Christie Mountain and Ice Age trails near by.

Old 09-07-2006, 09:47 PM

Default flambeau

I was fortunate to have time to paddle the Flambeau R and the Manitowish R this summer, which is what sold me on moving to the area. Have plans to paddle the Turtle-Flambeau Flowage next summer, and spending this Christmas in Minocqua.

Interesting that I read about "high taxes" for Wisconsin...someone posted "you get what you pay for" and that is so right. I have lived in Ohio, California, New Mexico, Hawaii, Nevada & Montana...currently back in Ohio. I love the state park systems and the libraries in Wisconsin, and the standard of living in Wisconsin just seems better to me than many/most places I've lived. People are friendly, too. Believe me, as beautiful as Montana is, the taxes were pretty high there, too, but with low wages...the joke was "you can't eat the scenery". Education, healthcare and infrastructure seem to be valued more in Wisconsin than in some places I've lived. I have no problem paying for services rendered.

I'm keeping my eye out for places on the water, and I did check out Ladysmith...seems nice, thanks for the tip.

Looking forward to my next trip.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:06 PM
LML

7,110 posts, read 8,464,140 times
Default How did you like Mercer

30 years ago I lived in Mercer and raised my kids there a good part of their lives. It was a very different place to live then. You could buy several acres with a decent house on it for what a lot will cost now. Heck, you could buy lake frontage with a house on it for what a little house in town will cost you now. I live in Madison now but I still go back to Mercer from time to time and my oldest...my son...goes back on a regular basis. That is beautiful country up there and if you like to fish, hunt, take nature photographs, snowmobile, cross country ski, etc. then you will find a lot to do. It is important though that you like your own company in the winter. There will be times when you will be housebound.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:42 PM

Default Mercer

Hi,

I liked Mercer, and looked at a couple properties there in late July. The realtor said the school system was very small (she sorta tried to discourage me) but I don't mind small. I lived in Sun River, MT, pop. 150, for 8 years.

Definitely keeping an open mind on where to live...the only requirement is, must be on the water--preferably moving water.

I am reading the other forums, too, for info.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin