Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 12:39 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,709,327 times

Advertisements

GreggB and AusieMale are both correct -

A) Yes, tornadoes can happen anywhere if conditions are right. I believe the stat is that tornadoes have occurred in all 50 states of the U.S. I know down here in New Mexico where it is dry desert and tornadoes - except for the flat eastern fringes of the state - are extremely rare, yet, recently there was one that touched down in the desert outside of high-elevation Santa Fe, and there were a couple of small ones recently down on the southern edge of the state in the desert outside of El Paso, TX. So they can indeed happen anywhere, including the Northwoods of WI, the U.P. of Michigan, etc.

B) Tornadoes, as GreggB stated, are most common in the southern portions of the state. I know they are pretty rare in the Milwaukee area, which I am most familiar with (possibly due to the close proximity to the lake?), however, these counties: WALWORTH, DODGE, JEFFERSON - always seem to be the most prone for severe weather for whatever reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 07:00 AM

45 posts, read 147,461 times
I know that alot of bad storms a lot of the time are out near the western part of WI.Eau Claire and nw.I live in Waupaca county/border of Shawano county and we LUCK OUT a lot.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:27 AM

45 posts, read 147,461 times
It shows how many tornadoes/where in WI.
Go to:Wisconsin Emergency Management - Tornado Awareness (http://emergencymanagement.wi.gov/category.asp?linkcatid=80&linkid=32&locid=18 - broken link) , then go down to
WI Tornado County Map (PDF)

Old 06-16-2007, 07:36 AM

2 posts, read 6,256 times
Go for it >>..........meet the nicest people ever....

Old 02-14-2008, 04:10 PM

4 posts, read 14,488 times
Exclamation Tornadoes can occur anywhere in the state.

In refrence to Wisconsin's tornadoes. Tornadoes can occur anywhere in the state. Not that an F3(significant)tornado ripped through the town of Siren,WI in the North Western section of the state in 2001. From 1950 to the current date all Wisconsin counties have seen significant numbers of tornadoes,ranging in intensity from F-0 to F-5 on the Fujita Scale. (Wisconsin Tornadoes) September 2, 2002 a tornado struck 25 miles north of Eau Claire.

I am a storm chaser and have been studying severe weather for 10+ years. I am a WI native and lived there for most of my 25 years.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:09 AM

11 posts, read 51,281 times
Tornado alley in WI is south central, south west, and east and west central. So major cities in there Madison, Fond du Lac, Portage, La Crosse, Plattville, Beaver Dam ect. ect. are more likly to get hit. I live in Fond du Lac County. A tornado a year AT LEAST here. In 96 I saw WI biggest trnado in the village of Oakfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin