Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 10:32 AM

47 posts, read 253,781 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering a position in Beloit. We would be relocating from California. (Crazy, I know). We have a 10 year-old son and would like to consider towns within a 30-45 minute commute to Beloit (in Wisconsin or Illinois). Our current town has a population of approx 30,000 and we really enjoy the community atmosphere. We are also within 10 minutes of a city of 165,000 and within an hour of San Francisco. We are looking for a community with good schools and friendly neighbors. I am worried about the transition for my son and want to feel welcome within the community. We would like to be within 2 hours of a large metropolitan area. We would like to consider areas where the population is 20,000 or more to provide for shopping and dining convenience. Can anyone give us ideas on which areas to explore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 02:00 PM

572 posts, read 2,486,607 times
Check out Roscoe. Feel free to PM me if you want more info I will be glad to help if I can. I use to live there.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:35 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
You'd be better off asking in the general Illinois and/or Wisconsin forum. Chicago is over 100 miles away so the subject is of very little relevance in the Chicago forum.

Beloit itself fits most of what you describe about your current city in terms of size and the pace & quality of life. It is a post-industrial city so there are some signs of wear-and-tear in some spots throughout town. But most once-industrial Wisconsin cities have entered the post-industrial era in considerably better shape than small to medium-sized cities elsewhere in the Midwest, such as Rockford even though they're only separated by 20 miles.

I think the biggest issue to look out for in Beloit is the quality of schools. The Beloit school district doesn't have a great reputation, but I haven't done enough research myseelf to determine whether or not that reputation is accurate.

Another city that may fit your needs is Janesville, about 15 miles north. But again, look into the schools -- I've never heard anyone sing the praises of nor roundly condemn Janesville schools.

In either case, you'll have Rockford half-hour away or less, Madison (pop. 225K and much nicer than Rockford) about half-hour to 45 minutes away, Milwaukee just over an hour away, and Chicago less than 2 hours away.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:21 PM

572 posts, read 2,486,607 times
Drover makes some good points. I will add this, as far as schools for your 10 year old, my opinion is that Roscoe has some of the best schools. Prairie Hill would be the school of my choice. The big downfall for me is the cold winters and the high tax rate. Thats just me though and it may not bother you.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:51 AM

47 posts, read 253,781 times
Thank you. I am concerned about the cold winters, but my husband was born in Illinois and loves them. I can't imagine the taxes being any higher than here in California. Income tax here is 6.0%, Property tax is 1.25% and sales tax is 9.0%. Plus we have a .50 per gallon gasoline tax.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:53 PM

5 posts, read 11,472 times
Don't be so sure about those taxes....If you move to the Wisconsin side, Wisconsin has some of the highest taxes in the country. Property tax will be 1.25% easily. Sales tax is lower, income tax, depending on your bracket, could be above 6%.

Look into Roscoe or even Belvidere. Janesville would be "okay." Avoid Beloit proper. You could also go East to Lake Geneva.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:11 PM

42 posts, read 108,907 times
If I could, I would like to add a request on to this.

Have been to Beloit on business a few years ago. May have a chance at a job there. Would not live in Beloit, general interest is feedback on towns around there. Would not go to Madison. Do not want to live in IL (lousy gun laws).

Family with no children in the house anymore. Likely a house. General interest in fishing and hunting potential. Have a larger boat that may or may not bring along. Would like safe area. I know that Rock County covers some of the general area. Also whether there is something good between Beloit and Lake Geneva. Thanks for any feedback.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:59 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
Well, I live in Beloit so I'm sure I'm prejudice. I grew up here, lived in Madison for several years, moved back to Beloit to retire. I like Beloit a lot but then I know the area and the people so well that I may see it differently than newcomers.

However, considering your interest, you might like Edgerton or Milton township on Lake Kogonsa or perhaps Delavan.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:11 AM

42 posts, read 108,907 times
LML, thank you very much for the reply. I recognize Delavan. I will add the others to the list to review.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin