Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2013, 10:50 AM

457 posts, read 982,036 times

Advertisements

I live in NV and have a NV driver's license & registered vehicle in NV. Some of my job offers in CA require a CA driver's license to drive company vehicles. I do not want to give up my NV residence and move back to Orange County. I'm considering working 4 days in CA and returning to NV during my 3 days off. How would I work this scenario? Is there a CA license for work or school? Do I rent a room in CA for the driver's license? Can't find anything on this on CA DMV website. I also do not really want to lose my NV driver's license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 11:01 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,566,788 times
Since company vehicles are involved and that comes with a host of liability issues, I don't think there is anything you can do. From what I understand, you legally cannot simultaneously have two drivers licenses from two different states. Look for jobs that don't require a CA license.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:15 AM

I kind of figured that. If I only get a CA ID (non driving job), than it raises the concern on how I will be able to show up for work. Most companies copy your ID/DL for identification purposes for employment. Guess I may have to stay with some friends, get a CA license/car registration and keep my place in NV. Then in the future just reapply for a NV license and car registration when I'm no longer employed in CA?

Old 11-17-2013, 12:00 PM

12,115 posts, read 23,389,539 times
You cannot have a license from one state while calling another state your state of residence (there are temporary exceptions for people moving, people in college, military folks, etc). It is also against the law to possess a valid driver's license from two or more states at the same time.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:26 PM

[/quote] Guess I may have to stay with some friends, get a CA license/car registration and keep my place in NV. Then in the future just reapply for a NV license and car registration when I'm no longer employed in CA?[/quote]

What I meant in my above quote is my NV license would be surrendered or punched when I get my new CA license. When I finish work in CA, I would just do the same in NV. There would not be 2 active State licenses because one is always hole punched or surrendered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment