Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 07:07 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times

Advertisements

Just enjoy a relaxed atmosphere. Google has ping pong tables scattered around their offices and they are one of the most successful companies out there right now.

There is nothing wrong with having some fun at work, as long as everything is getting done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 08:20 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
You know what they say....laughter is the best medicine.
Do you own a business?

I doubt you'd feel the same way if you did.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:39 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,894,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Just enjoy a relaxed atmosphere. Google has ping pong tables scattered around their offices and they are one of the most successful companies out there right now.

There is nothing wrong with having some fun at work, as long as everything is getting done.
The OP isn't talking about a internet company such as Google. She's talking about a multiple-physician office providing healthcare to others. Google is a closed-in environment and has internet customers - a doctor's office is open to the public and subject to scrutiny from its real life customers.

Personally, I don't want come into my health-care provider's office to see a bunch of doctor's office staff running around giggling or throwing paper wads at each other. People can and should definitely have a sense of humor but I don't want to see them acting like middle-school kids while I'm standing there waiting to check in and not feeling well.

This thread is timely for the fact that a friend who is a registered nurse (and the office manager) of a doctor's office said she too was having problems recently with some of the staff at her medical office, and was saying if these personnel don't want to do the jobs they're supposed to do that they should quit and let others take those jobs.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:02 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Probably... if the manager is amused by the hijinks, the problem is probably you. Sucks to get old. Have you considered finding a job working with people your age?
Nonsense. Hijinks of this nature have no place in a professional office and particularly not in a medical office environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Unless you were the one on the receiving end of the pranks, which isn't funny. As Annerk stated, there is a lost of productivity that the supervisors need to take into consideration. I joke around with my colleagues all the time but do it in a way that respects them and their work space. This is just plain immaturity that has no business in a professional environment, especially in a medical office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
There's your problem. If it was just a once in awhile thing and the things are very minor, then maybe. But it sounds like they're well over the top with it all.

Further and most importantly, this isn't some 7-11 or a JC Penny sales clerk situation - this is a doctor's office. If I came in and saw all that, you better believe I'd inform my doctor that this is my last visit here and why. What if in the midst of their little "pranks" they accidentally lost or screwed up some of my medical info (etc etc)? No thanks.

If being mature and professional is "fuddy duddy," count me in. And count on me to go to and/or work in places that agree. Happily, these are still in the majority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
OP hasn't said they are either the target of the pranks or that there is any productivity lost. OP has merely said other people are pulling pranks on other people and that they are annoyed by it. I think its refreshing that there are some people who enjoy their jobs enough to have a laugh during their workday. There's too much whining and negativity in the world and especially in the workplace. The last thing patients need are other people speaking for them. If the patients are bothered by humor, let them speak for themselves.
Disagree with you 100% for reasons stated earlier. Having a laugh is one thing but "sticking tape all over each others equipment and papers so they can't pick them up and unplugging computers so they can't turn them on..." is way beyond "having a laugh".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Do you own a business?

I doubt you'd feel the same way if you did.
Amen! I do and wouldn't tolerate such behavior for a heartbeat. Cheers!

Old 06-21-2010, 12:46 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post

Disagree with you 100% for reasons stated earlier. Having a laugh is one thing but "sticking tape all over each others equipment and papers so they can't pick them up and unplugging computers so they can't turn them on..." is way beyond "having a laugh".
Agreed! Those who have no issues with these pranks need to ask themselves how would they like to walk into their doctor's office feeling sick and they have to wait while the staff reboots their computers. Doubt they would find it funny either.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:02 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiest23 View Post
Is it me?Am I just an old fuddy duddy?
Do you think I'm making too much out of these constant pranks?
Thanks for any input.

Well, I don't know what "old" is in your case (I'm 58) but, yeah, I'd say you're a fuddy duddy. What's important is ~ is the work getting done between pranks???

I work a reception desk, and we get very busy, but those of us who work the front side of the business (customer service) tend to cut up when the opportunity allows for it. While I don't do the things you describe, I do other pranks ~ and, believe me, some are doozies.

It breaks the intensity of the job, and I personally cannot work happily in a real austere environment. People need to lighten up, although I realize that it's against some people's nature to go against a work-only ethic.

Some jokes can get out of hand. But if management doesn't see an issue with it then you should do the best you can to accept it (I do not recommend pitching complaints ~ it's one thing to not join in, but another thing to feel ostracized).

If something inappropriate is one day witnessed by a patient/customer, you can bet that it will prompt things to cool down.

Last edited by Bluesmama; 06-21-2010 at 01:10 PM..

Old 06-21-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Well, I don't know what "old" is in your case (I'm 58) but, yeah, I'd say you're a fuddy duddy. What's important is ~ is the work getting done between pranks???

I work a reception desk, and we get very busy, but those of us who work the front side of the business (customer service) tend to cut up when the opportunity allows for it. While I don't do the things you describe, I do other pranks ~ and, believe me, some are doozies.

It breaks the intensity of the job, and I personally cannot work happily in a real austere environment. People need to lighten up, although I realize that it's against some people's nature to go against a work-only ethic.

Some jokes can get out of hand. But if management doesn't see an issue with it then you should do the best you can to accept it (I do not recommend pitching complaints ~ it's one thing to not join in, but another thing to feel ostracized).

If something inappropriate is one day witnessed by a patient/customer, you can bet that it will prompt things to cool down.
What if the pranks involved shutting down the receptionist computer (as indicated in the OP)? Having to reboot a computer throughout the day affects the speed in which patients are checked in. This is unacceptable.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:55 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiest23 View Post
Is it me?Am I just an old fuddy duddy?
I work at the front desk of a multiple physician office and the other girls up front are playing pranks on each other constantly.Getting up and sticking tape all over each others equipment and papers so they can't pick them up and unplugging computers so they can't turn them on....
It's just such unprofessional,immature behavior to me.Have I turned into an old fuddy duddy?Imagine coming into a dr's office with all that going on?
And what's worse is the manager comes out and finds it all funny too.
I don't know if I can work in this atmosphere.Do you think I'm making too much out of these constant pranks?
Thanks for any input.
I think it's unprofessional and in a doctor's office, I'm surprised it's tolerated. Errors can easily lead to malpractice. Imagine if two papers from two different patients got taped together or if some valuable data was lost because of someone unplugged a computer.

But this is actually pretty tame compared to what I've seen in the workplace. People will throw around sexually suggestive language and management will look the other way. I've even heard people say racially insensitive stuff.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:40 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
What if the pranks involved shutting down the receptionist computer (as indicated in the OP)? Having to reboot a computer throughout the day affects the speed in which patients are checked in. This is unacceptable.
Actually, that particular type of stunt would NOT go well with me. THAT one is a hindrance to production because the receptionist has awkward events trying to assist the public, and that's not right. In this particular case, it would probably get "handled" immediately after seeing my teeth. (I have enough issues dealing with a computer system that does perform as I think it should.)

I know it sounds like the complete opposite of what I posted earlier, but it reflects my sense of boundaries.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Actually, that particular type of stunt would NOT go well with me. THAT one is a hindrance to production because the receptionist has awkward events trying to assist the public, and that's not right. In this particular case, it would probably get "handled" immediately after seeing my teeth. (I have enough issues dealing with a computer system that does perform as I think it should.)

I know it sounds like the complete opposite of what I posted earlier, but it reflects my sense of boundaries.
I think that the pranks described in the OP is definitely out of boundaries of what's acceptable work place humor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment