Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 12:51 PM

123 posts, read 380,374 times

Advertisements

How do you go about getting with a temporary agency so they can find you work. I am not familiar with the process. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 01:03 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Call them. Explain you want to register with them. They will fill you in with the specifics.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:12 PM

92 posts, read 152,218 times
You can call, or go to the company website. Google "temporary employment agencies" and include your city and state to find a quick list. Most will require you to complete an online application before scheduling an appointment. Be prepared to discuss the type of work you are looking for, as well as your background. In essence, prepare just as you would for an interview with a prospective employer, since the agency will place you to work for its clients. Hope this helps.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:31 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,766,241 times
I've never gotten a response from sending an electronic application to a temp firm. It seems they're still based on a person-to-person visit, which is good. I can't stand it when a computer sends me a form letter rejection e-mail.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:56 PM

812 posts, read 1,906,980 times
I held a lot of temp jobs right out of college and ended up working in the Temp Agency office for a while. Perhaps it is different now but I took a copy of my resume and went in person, filled out an application and they tested my computer skills on things I said I was proficient in--Microsoft, Excel etc...typing speed. They had me fill out W2 and I9 forms, copied my license and SSN and then interviewed me. What interests I had--would I work temp only or was I only interested in temp to hire. Industries I was experienced in--sales, marketing, finance etc...

There are a lot of types of positions-- temp where they just need you for a week to help file papers or answer phones while someone is on vacation or out for surgery. There are positions for a few months to cover maternity leave. Some positions are temp to hire. You work for several months--the company decides they like you and then you become a full time employee of the company or they can buy you out early from the temp agency for a fee.

Some temp agencies will give benefits if you work consistently for XX months.

There are temp agencies for manual labor, office workers, health care, computers. They may call them contractors instead of temps but same idea! May be short term projects or temp to hire if both parties like each other!

I got to try out several jobs, industries and companies. Some may sound good on paper but suck to work for! Try it before you buy it!

Old 06-21-2010, 10:13 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
No, it's pretty much the same deal as you described - the only difference is that in this market even agencies are scrambling for job orders to fill, and far too often they resort to posting non existent positions to fill their applicant database pool.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:13 PM

6 posts, read 14,201 times
I have a couple suggestions, first if you know someone who works with a good temp agency get a referral. Second failing that, many states have trade associations for recruiters. For example, in California there is a trade association called the CSP. They have a website that lists all their members by specialty and geography. Go on there and start calling some of them up. Introduce yourself and ask how their process works. Finally, start networking online at LinkedIn. There are lots of recruiters who use LinkedIn. See if you can find someone who does temps and network with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment