Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 11:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,581 times

Advertisements

Native Floridan considering moving the family to Virginia,Richmond or Mechanics-ville is where the wife has family and is likely where we would move to.We are leaving Florida for several reasons including the crime,pay scale,unemployment and a more family oriented place to settle in and raise are children,11 year old & 11 month old boys.
My wifes mother,sister & aunt already live there and say the job market is great,and it is a very nice city to start over in.My question is how good is the job market,rent prices don't want to buy unless we are truly happy living there.
My wife is in the accounting field,several credits shy of her bachelors degree,very experienced in computer programs as well as grant writing ,logistics,Administrative Assistant work and her major at one time was English,as well as broadcast journalism.She has a great resume and good job here but its with the local city and budget cuts have her salary frozen and are benefits are not as good as they once were,not to mention her pay scale is frozen and not as good as it could be in the private sector.
Myself I am a Journeyman plumber with 15 years in the field and 5 or so years rehabbing/remodeling run down homes for investors for resale,as well being self employed flipping investment properties.Even though I am a plumber by trade I am experienced in almost every trade & do good work.I would be looking for work as a plumber or in the remodeling field,which ever is more stable and pays the bills.
My question is how is the job market there,rent prices in good areas,the school system cannot be worse then Florida but that is another deciding factor.I understand there is a state income tax,whats the states sales tax? Is the construction trade all union and how is the construction job market? Is Virginia a Right to work state?
Any help,input,suggestions and answers to my questions are greatly appreciated and I thank everyone in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment