U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2010, 02:50 AM

21 posts, read 68,930 times

Advertisements

I have a different type of question to anybody who can contribute any sort of evaluation, so ill get right to it.

Graduated in 07 with a Bs in Biology
-Before graduating I worked 3 years at one company at an airport
-Worked two temp jobs as a chemist/microbiology lab technician in two biotech companies. Total experience gained was about 18 months.
-Been unemployed for 1.5 years
-Started my own small importing business that payed the bills
-Family friend hooked me up with a temporary job at a semiconductor company doing something irrelevant to my goals, but somewhat enjoy the job for the short term. Been here 1 month and my contract is open ended so i can leave any time without commitment.

My goal is to become experienced in the environmental field and the best qualifications I can have under my belt is a job working a)in a lab b)in a environmental consulting company c)anything relating to science and public health.

My dilemma is this: I still consider myself not having many skills because of my lack of work experience and my work history is looking pretty choppy because I've had short term spurts of employment which raises flags. I think I may have a shot at going back to a previous company in a temp position, and that specific lab job won't really expand my skills as far as lab work is concerned, but it will get me back into a science related job which I think looks better on resume compared to my current unrelated job.

I have some pending interviews for dream jobs in the county/city sector, but its tough to land jobs there because i've been trying constantly throughout my unemployment. I don't want to continue having a choppy work history, i would really like to stay long term in a position that gives me the much needed experience that I want and will enjoy. Do I pass up a job offer that will get me back into a science related position or hope that I can land a long term cool job that will give me much more experience?

Current job is temp, job offer I may have will be temp as well. Money doesnt matter and i'd sacrifice pay for better gaining more experience. What are your suggestions? I think I may have a "job jumper" and unemployed flags working against me when I apply to jobs because employers dont care that my first contract expired and 2nd position laid me off.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 03:05 AM

21 posts, read 68,930 times
I was looking for jobs non stop 9 out of my 15 month unemployment and i hardly had any interviews, although not the job market is getting better.

The job i may get an offer on is a graveyard job 4 days a week.

My girlfriend thinks that I should stay at my current non-career goal relevant job and wait until something else comes along.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment