Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 08:22 PM

225 posts, read 1,114,765 times

Advertisements

Well, here is the latest chapter in the craziness at my job. For those that remember, six months or so ago I was having "issues" with supervision and decided to just quit talking to anyone I work with and to just hunker down and fly under the radar to avoid detection/problems. A plan that has worked well until the past two weeks.

The latest incident involves gossip. Our female supervisor is having a relationship with one of our male coworkers. It is knowledge throughout the local division. Last week a tech from another district was on a job with a "squeeler" and mentioned the boss lady and the boyfriend. Well...it went straight back to the boss and now she is on the warpath. Lucky me, my name was mentioned, even though I was not there or involved.

Now, three of us have a "meeting" with her and two upper level managers to "discuss" this gossip problem. In our outfit, nobody can keep a secret, even the HR rep, so word is out the three of us are going to be fired for gossip, even though what was said is true.

Any HR managers here ever hear of such a thing...fired for gossip? It sounds absurd since it was not really work related and is in fact true; they have a relationship. This seems like something that should never have gotten to this level, as I wouldn't think as pissed as she is, that she would want it going before other managers and HR.

Is gossip a legitimate reason for firing, and if not what are the chances of winning a unemployment claim? I would think since it is not poor job performance, stealing etc we would be ok? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 09:10 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,934,465 times
You work at a terrible place. Having a serious meeting over such a petty problem is pathetic. And yes they can fire you for anything and everything. Corporatism is severely stupid and they do monitor the first amendment like a 17th century Puritan court system. If you get fired for gossip, start up some more gossip as long as it is true and covers the good with the bad. Gossip cannot be one sided if you put it out in the public eye. Always use the good with the bad trick. And you should be fine.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:31 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Yes;you can be fired for gossip. I agree you would at a terrible placew with alot of gossips it seems. ypou can alos be sued and made to prove it.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:34 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,900,650 times
Gossip has a detrimental effect on workplace morale and effectiveness, so certainly they can fire you for gossip. They can fire you for any reason of course, but degrading morale would likely be classified as 'for cause'.

How did this tech find out about the alleged relationship? Even if you didn't tell them directly, if you were involved at some point in the chain of passing the information on, then you are involved.

And gossip is not synonymous with slander. Something is only slander if it is untrue. But gossip is gossip whether it is true or not. Something is gossip if it is communicated in a conversational manner but intended for inflammatory purposes. The topic of coworkers' relationships in their personal lives definitely qualifies as gossip. And remember, you have to separate what you actually know from what you think you know. Even if you have personally seen these two people fornicating, you don't know that they are in a relationship.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:05 PM

894 posts, read 1,126,825 times
Yes, you can be fired for gossip. It's called "creating discord in the workplace" and is not illegal for an employer to terminate employment for that reason.

However, they cannot fire you for gossip you were not involved in. Just because someone mentioned your name (and you weren't there) does not put the burden of proof on you. The employer must be able to prove that you took place in the activity, directly or indirectly.

As you stated, you were not present when this took place so legally they can't terminate you for something you did not take part in. If they do in fact fire you for it, I'd see a lawyer for wrongful termination of employment, if it were me.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:23 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
An aside to this:

In most companies, either the male or female must transfer, terminate their employment, or terminate their relationship.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:58 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,934,465 times
All of the posters have proven that corporatism is incredibly stupid and moronic. Corporate and university authorities don't want anyone spreading "gossip" because they want all their dirty little secrets to be kept a secret. Gossipers cannot be trusted with dirty company secrets. It has nothing to do with tearing down the "morale" especially when the morale is already horse-crap.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:36 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,000,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by {geek} View Post
Yes, you can be fired for gossip. It's called "creating discord in the workplace" and is not illegal for an employer to terminate employment for that reason.

However, they cannot fire you for gossip you were not involved in. Just because someone mentioned your name (and you weren't there) does not put the burden of proof on you. The employer must be able to prove that you took place in the activity, directly or indirectly.

As you stated, you were not present when this took place so legally they can't terminate you for something you did not take part in. If they do in fact fire you for it, I'd see a lawyer for wrongful termination of employment, if it were me.
Is there such a thing as "wrongful termination of employment" if one works for an "at will" employer? I'm not saying that the poster indicated the employer is "at will"; I just think all employers are ...

Old 09-04-2010, 05:13 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,699,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
All of the posters have proven that corporatism is incredibly stupid and moronic. Corporate and university authorities don't want anyone spreading "gossip" because they want all their dirty little secrets to be kept a secret. Gossipers cannot be trusted with dirty company secrets. It has nothing to do with tearing down the "morale" especially when the morale is already horse-crap.
That was a helpful response...not!

Old 09-04-2010, 05:53 PM

39 posts, read 272,307 times
Yes, you can be terminated for this and, no, it does not matter if you were really involved. Even if you were not involved, you would not be able to sue the company successfully for wrongful termination. However, you may be able to collect unemployment unless you broke a specific workplace policy, such as one that prohibits office gossip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment