Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 09:41 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,914 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping I can get some help-my friend called last night looking for a "shoulder to cry on" and some advice..she lived in Colorado and was dating a guy. He was offered a job in California and he moved. Well fast forward and she married him and has lived in California with him for about 2 years. She was laid off her job and cannot find work. She is a mess...she wants to move back to Colorado because she misses her family and feels she can find employment in Colorado...
He won't move and said if she moves back-well it's over. What would you do? I feel for her...I just let her cry..
Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 09:44 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I'm hoping I can get some help-my friend called last night looking for a "shoulder to cry on" and some advice..she lived in Colorado and was dating a guy. He was offered a job in California and he moved. Well fast forward and she married him and has lived in California with him for about 2 years. She was laid off her job and cannot find work. She is a mess...she wants to move back to Colorado because she misses her family and feels she can find employment in Colorado...
He won't move and said if she moves back-well it's over. What would you do? I feel for her...I just let her cry..
Any suggestions?
Easy question (unless there are underlying marital issues): I would stay with my husband . There is no job out there that should trump a happy, loving, permanent relationship.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:47 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,312,487 times
Quote:
Any suggestions?
I think she should stay with her husband. If she leaves him, then she'll be out completely. At least now, she has some financial security with her husband working. As long as he's able to support both of them, then she shouldn't worry so much.

She has to realize that he is part of her family now, too. Unless she has someone in Colorado who will take care of her, I don't know what she thinks she has to gain by moving there without a job lined up. If she were not married, then I'd say definitely go back to Colorado, where at least she has some sort of safety net. As long as her husband is able to provide for her, I would not make an emotionally-charged decision to throw away something as sacred as her marriage and move to even more uncertainty in Colorado.

Besides, she can always call her family or visit them if she needs some moral support from them.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
I think she should stay with her husband. If she leaves him, then she'll be out completely. At least now, she has some financial security with her husband working. As long as he's able to support both of them, then she shouldn't worry so much.

She has to realize that he is part of her family now, too. Unless she has someone in Colorado who will take care of her, I don't know what she thinks she has to gain by moving there without a job lined up. If she were not married, then I'd say definitely go back to Colorado, where at least she has some sort of safety net. As long as her husband is able to provide for her, I would not make an emotionally-charged decision to throw away something as sacred as her marriage and move to even more uncertainty in Colorado.

Besides, she can always call her family or visit them if she needs some moral support from them.
Yeah well I don't think the marriage is going well-he can't support both of them..so I think that she is getting beat up emotionally that she doesn't have a job -I know there are two sides to every story but that's the vibe I'm getting...

Old 09-14-2010, 10:48 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,312,487 times
I never understood why anybody would stay with someone who treats them poorly.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:30 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Back when we first moved out of Utah my third wife was really upset because she came from a tight family and really missed her eight siblings. It wasn't so much a career thing (she was 14 so too young to work) but she just needed some companionship from people her own age, and the older wives were in their 20s so not much in common with her.

Fortunately she adjusted, my other wives made an effort to include her activities like making new sun dresses so things are okay now.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:34 AM

I just feel bad-I can't help -I live across the US from her....I don't know the whole story-I know he has a great job but she can't find one to save her life..she's been out of work I think almost 6 months-I'm sure her self esteem is in the toilet and we all know what the unemployment is like in CA-BAD

Old 09-14-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Back when we first moved out of Utah my third wife was really upset because she came from a tight family and really missed her eight siblings. It wasn't so much a career thing (she was 14 so too young to work) but she just needed some companionship from people her own age, and the older wives were in their 20s so not much in common with her.

Fortunately she adjusted, my other wives made an effort to include her activities like making new sun dresses so things are okay now.
Not funny....

Old 09-14-2010, 11:41 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Any suggestions?
Bascailly the decison is her as she is forcing the issue .I would not give any advise on such a decdion.I kind of wander tho abut her marriage that its even being considered by her.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:48 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,409 times
If she stays, then she is letting her husband control her, resulting in an unequal relationship (sounds like that is what it is now anyway).

An adult who wants a job should have a job. If her husband would prefer a wife who just sits there and watches TV all day, then maybe he should get himself a new wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment