U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2010, 03:42 PM

11 posts, read 29,965 times

Advertisements

I recently graduated high school, but have had a hard time pinpointing what it is I want to pursue a career at. I've narrowed it down to two options.

First off, I know they are about as opposite as you can get. Anyway, the first one is Aircraft Mechanic. I have always been fascinated with aircraft. Never really wanted to fly, just amazed at the technology. Plus I love to work with my hands. This is my top choice. But, from talking to a few people in the industry, and reading up on message boards, it seems the aviation industry is still pretty unstable (like many other industries in this economy). That is the one thing that is making me second guess myself on it. The local college has accepted me, and the A&P program is about 10 months long, and it includes paid internships while in school, and job placement help upon graduation (I live in the West Palm Beach, FL area, by the way). But is this industry too big of a risk? Some have told me layoffs are imminent, others tell me with an A&P license I'd be at least somewhat more secure. I'm not in it for money. But I also don't want to waste time and money for a risky career choice.

Ok, the second one is Radiography (X-Ray Technician). This program is about 3 years in length, for an Associate's degree. There are no internship programs for this one, but the school does boast a 100% job placement rate for new grads. I've seen this career near or at the top of many of those "highest-demand" and "fastest-growing career" lists. I'm big on fitness and health, so I enjoy the field. And I'm, again, fascinated with the technology. I've broken a lot of bones, and my favorite part of that was always the x-rays. I've also had and sat in on CT scans and MRIs. It's just appealing to me, and it seems to be more stable. But it's a more expensive and time-consuming program, that doesn't allow me much time for work outside school (full-time, M-F program).

I guess what I want advice about is if anyone out there in city-data land have personal experience or know people who have with either field, what is my best bet? I keep getting the whole "go for what you want; follow your heart" answers, but I'm trying to be practical. Any other suggestions, as far as related careers, I'm also open to.

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment