U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 08:53 AM

2,727 posts, read 5,650,741 times

Advertisements

Sorry, I just need to vent here, hope it's okay.

I found out the day I need surgery, and told my superior as soon as I knew, and said as soon as I got the call about the date, I would let them know. I told them I knew I wold be out for 2 weeks, though.

So I get the call from the doctor's office - they want me in 2-1/2 weeks. So I told my superior, who stated/"asked" "Don't they have anything later, like in November?"

1. It's not a busy time for us, in fact it's slow right now.
2. No one's plans got messed up where they would have no one to cover.
3. NO! It canNOT wait!

It really ticked me off. It's not like it was something I kept putting off, or am doing at a bad time for the office. It ticked me off a little that they didn't even say "gee, I hope everything is okay". And I've been here for many years.

Sorry, just had to vent about that and wonder if anyone else would be ticked off.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 10:51 AM

3,696 posts, read 6,370,666 times
I hope all goes well and you recover quickly!

Old 09-24-2010, 10:56 AM

2,187 posts, read 7,268,578 times
Your supervisor just doesn't have tact. That is usually a thought that you would keep inside your head, not something you actually voice! I have learned that if I ever need to get time off for any surgery, etc. to just say when I mention the date that there wasn't any other time they could get me in. We all work or have worked with annoying people like that, but don't let it bother you.

Just make sure that when they need to go somewhere that you ask a stupid question like they did to you!

Old 09-24-2010, 11:09 AM

Actually, she is on vacation the next 2 weeks and felt giving a date during that time period. LOL

But thank you, my surgery isn't serious (course we know more when they go in), and it should be simple.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:32 PM

2,759 posts, read 3,629,093 times
Boss is super-insensitive, and apparently only cares about $$$.
What if the shoe was on the other foot; they needed surgery, and THEIR boss would ask stupid questions?

People can be a piece of work ...

Old 09-24-2010, 07:38 PM
NSX

867 posts, read 1,933,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post

I found out the day I need surgery, and told my superior as soon as I knew, and said as soon as I got the call about the date, I would let them know. I told them I knew I wold be out for 2 weeks, though.

So I get the call from the doctor's office - they want me in 2-1/2 weeks. So I told my superior, who stated/"asked" "Don't they have anything later, like in November?"

3. NO! It canNOT wait!

It really ticked me off. It's not like it was something I kept putting off, or am doing at a bad time for the office. It ticked me off a little that they didn't even say "gee, I hope everything is okay". And I've been here for many years.

Sorry, just had to vent about that and wonder if anyone else would be ticked off.
Your boss is a self-obsessed jerk. Would he say that to one of his family members if they needed surgery?

Sure you have a right to be pissed off.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:48 PM

4,805 posts, read 21,334,537 times
It sounds to me like your boss just said something thoughtless without thinking of how it would sound to you. So I wouldn't waste too much energy on it. It's not worth spending more energy that should be spent on your health. Just tell him 'nope! can't reschedule! we talked about this, remember?' And carry on.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:42 PM

774 posts, read 1,053,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post

3. NO! It canNOT wait!

Cover your butt! Put it in writing to your supervisor, being very clear about the dates you need to be out and the date you had the conversation. Take care of yourself and let your manager figure out how to make the production and resource adjustments in while you are out. That's part of what managers get paid for.

And, of course, you don't have to get very specific about what you are going in for. HIPAA laws protect your medical information from being disclosed or discussed with your manager and co-workers, unless you choose to disucuss your health with them. You are not required to provide them specifics.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:14 AM

3,696 posts, read 6,370,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRoller View Post
Cover your butt! Put it in writing to your supervisor, being very clear about the dates you need to be out and the date you had the conversation. Take care of yourself and let your manager figure out how to make the production and resource adjustments in while you are out. That's part of what managers get paid for.

And, of course, you don't have to get very specific about what you are going in for. HIPAA laws protect your medical information from being disclosed or discussed with your manager and co-workers, unless you choose to disucuss your health with them. You are not required to provide them specifics.
Agreed. Make sure you cc HR and anyone else you think may need a copy.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:49 AM

Actually, my superior is basically my boss. Her husband is technically my boss, but..........we know how that goes.

I have it in writing to the person who distributes the vacation schedule (anyone who is out has to be on it, it just doesn't say WHY you're out).

Our insurance department girl knows because I will have to be released back to work.

Honestly, I am not letting it stress me out. It just amazes me the insensitivity of people. Said person was out for several months during our busiest time of year one year, and that was okay *eye roll*.

This same superior also got mad when I had another (totally unrelated to this one) surgery a few years ago, questioning why I had to be out "so long" (3 weeks, dr. orders).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment