Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 03:05 AM

878 posts, read 1,648,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I think what actually stung the most was being left out of things like Christmas parties, or company give aways or raffles.......I perma temped for a company owned by Disney, and they constantly got Disney merchandise and give aways, including actual movie cells and lithos, and I just sat there.

Certainly the lack of benefits sucked, but being discluded? That just flat out hurt.
Yeah... you are treated like you are on another planet when you are a temp. No benefits, no bonus checks, no invitations to company events... etc...

Glad I'm past that hurdle. I've been full time 7 months now... 3 more weeks will be a year total on the job. It was a year ago today that I emailed my resume for this job... with $20 in the bank. The unemployment nightmare is something I don't ever care to revisit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 07:40 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,344,155 times
Yea I'm going through that now. I permatemp for a major food and beverage conglomerate. This form of labor abuse has gotten so prevalent in the sciences that several of my former coworkers have already left the field to retrain for a career and I am not far behind. They exclude you from all company activities, kick you out of meetings where they are discussing their research after the safety and operations portion, offer you no benefits or development, and just to rub salt they constantly pat themselves on the back as being one of America's most ethical companies claim they get awards for it.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:33 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,379,854 times
I'm also trying to get out of temp hell. I took this position out of deseparation, but it's literally making me ill. I sit in a cubicle all day with barely any human interaction. They dumped me with an impossible project, even though the permanent members of staff would be far more capable of doing it. I too am excluded from all meetings, functions and have no benefits, so I'm on my wife's insurance. The company I'm working for is basically abusing the whole temp thing. It's a revolving door where they keep temps up to a year with the "we want to make you permanent" crap, then just let them go and replace them with more temps.

The job is lonely, soul destroying and the anxiety I feel every day is like first day nerves, every day. Add to that, you never know when the axe will fall. They could literally tell me not to come back the same day.

There should be a federally imposed limit to which companies can use temps; ideally 3 months maximum. Temporary workers are only supposed to help out due to absences or one off projects, not be substitutes for permanent members of staff for conpanies too stingy to pay benefits.

As for agencies, most of them are a waste of time. They just want to get you in to earn their commission and to have a bloated list of available workers to make themselves look good to potential clients. Some of them conduct themselves like used car salesman and are very pushy.

Last edited by dragonborn; 05-01-2012 at 12:48 PM..

Old 05-01-2012, 06:59 PM

15,111 posts, read 32,154,077 times
There was another thread about temp agencies before, and most everyone agreed upon the fact that they're a waste of time.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:26 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,523,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
I'm also trying to get out of temp hell. I took this position out of deseparation, but it's literally making me ill. I sit in a cubicle all day with barely any human interaction. They dumped me with an impossible project, even though the permanent members of staff would be far more capable of doing it. I too am excluded from all meetings, functions and have no benefits, so I'm on my wife's insurance. The company I'm working for is basically abusing the whole temp thing. It's a revolving door where they keep temps up to a year with the "we want to make you permanent" crap, then just let them go and replace them with more temps.

The job is lonely, soul destroying and the anxiety I feel every day is like first day nerves, every day. Add to that, you never know when the axe will fall. They could literally tell me not to come back the same day.

There should be a federally imposed limit to which companies can use temps; ideally 3 months maximum. Temporary workers are only supposed to help out due to absences or one off projects, not be substitutes for permanent members of staff for conpanies too stingy to pay benefits.

As for agencies, most of them are a waste of time. They just want to get you in to earn their commission and to have a bloated list of available workers to make themselves look good to potential clients. Some of them conduct themselves like used car salesman and are very pushy.
I agree there should be a limit on how long someone can temp at the same company without being offered a full time job or just let them go at the end of the time frame.

I know in CA it is no more than 11 months and then they have to hire you or let you go, but in other states like NC people can temp for years at the same job.

It's like being an indentured servant.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:30 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,056,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
There was another thread about temp agencies before, and most everyone agreed upon the fact that they're a waste of time.

I do not agree, if you do the perma-temp thing that is YOUR fault, when you list with the agency you state your minimum starting pay(be reasonable) AND it must be a temp to perm position(if that is what you really want), longest I waited to be placed was THREE days, my current job is by way of a "temp" agency.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:45 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,292,737 times
Seriously - there may be NO jobs... and they just do not want to come out and say they do not have any positions. Keep searching for a temp agency that you like. There are lots of them out there, And btw this is how the game works: if a temp agency calls you with a position for $9 an hour TAKE IT and suck it up (as long as it is not a perm position)... filing or whatever mindless job they have.

this way you get IN with them, and are in their radar for more positions. Otherwise they might forget you. This tactic has worked for me in the past.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:58 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,523,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
I do not agree, if you do the perma-temp thing that is YOUR fault, when you list with the agency you state your minimum starting pay(be reasonable) AND it must be a temp to perm position(if that is what you really want), longest I waited to be placed was THREE days, my current job is by way of a "temp" agency.
Sorry, but you don't go into a temp agency and dictate to them your rate of pay and tell them you will only take "temp to perm" jobs, well you can, but you won't hear back from them.

The poster below Gardener 34 has it right, you take what they offer you to get your foot in the door and show that you're a reliable person who will show up on time. Then after you complete an assignment or two ask for better paying jobs.

And temp agencies many times lie and say a position is "temp to perm" when it really isn't.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:11 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,056,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Sorry, but you don't go into a temp agency and dictate to them your rate of pay and tell them you will only take "temp to perm" jobs, well you can, but you won't hear back from them.
BOTH agencies I listed with called me about jobs, as I said, right away, and I stated minimum pay and it must be a possible perm job within a stated time-frame ...

My current job was through a "temp" agency only due to that is how they hire new people.

Could be I am actually employable with skills.

Could be BECAUSE I wasn't willing to accept "anything", could be the agencies I listed with had higher end people and jobs, could be a combination.

Well I did have an "anything", I was willing to take any shift.

If you are willing to accept "anything", that is exactly what you are going to get.

Last edited by Trackwatch; 05-01-2012 at 08:23 PM..

Old 05-01-2012, 08:27 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,899,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
And btw this is how the game works: if a temp agency calls you with a position for $9 an hour TAKE IT and suck it up (as long as it is not a perm position)... filing or whatever mindless job they have.

this way you get IN with them, and are in their radar for more positions. Otherwise they might forget you. This tactic has worked for me in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment