U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 05:11 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,437,427 times

Advertisements

What a joke! I had to watch a "safety" video to get started. Ok, I won't be lifting anything heavier than a phone doing administrative work. Then I had to sit with this "counselor". Talk about being made to feel like your lower than whale dung. Told me I had no relevant experience based upon my resume. Um well my life won't FIT on a resume-just your key jobs/skills. Said being a school bus driver didn't require any job related skills I need to work in a office. Course my internships I did for college a few years back in office environment mean that my brain has now turn to mush since I couldn't be smart enough to retain what I learned now could it. She quietly told me to look into other agencies-in other words-she wasn't going to try and find me anything that would fit.

Seriously-this is how these places operate? I just finished a medical office procedures class with medical billing and coding back in June-that's where I got their business card from and I repeated that a few times. She said-well you have been out of the work force since Feb 09. Yeah-because I shattered my ankle and had to re-learn how to walk after 4+ months. Course I had to wait over 13 months to get the Dr's ok to GO back to work-so that doesn't count either. She said oh-you want no jobs less than $10hr. I said yes, I own a home and have bills I have to pay. I need a job that will at least allow me to do that. She tells me, oh I had a job thought of for you, and it paid $8.50hr! WTH? I am not some greenhorn kid who's wet behind the ears still. I am just about ready to say don't even bother with any of this-why can't I find a job that pays a real adult salary? Argh-it makes me absolutely batty!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 07:21 PM

5,726 posts, read 10,852,908 times
I'll probably regret this, but I do offer it in a constructive way.

It sounds like the counselor didn't say anything that wasn't true. You may have taken a class but that still doesn't mean you have experience. Bus driving requires good people skills and things like attention to detail, but not specific office skills. Office work from years ago isn't really relevant because so many of the tools that are used in an office have progressed so much technologically.

You're in a tough spot and have had bad luck in the form of your injury. Unfortunately, nobody owes you anything. Iif the agency had an $8.50 job, isn't that better than not working at all (don't know what your unemployment payment is, so refusing may make sense in that regard)? It might also give you some current experience in the short run which could pay off in the long run. And while it's fine to vent anonymously on an internet board, I hope that your anger or sarcasm didn't come across so obviously to the counselor - the fact that she told you to go elsewhere makes me wonder.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
I'll probably regret this, but I do offer it in a constructive way.

It sounds like the counselor didn't say anything that wasn't true. You may have taken a class but that still doesn't mean you have experience. Bus driving requires good people skills and things like attention to detail, but not specific office skills. Office work from years ago isn't really relevant because so many of the tools that are used in an office have progressed so much technologically.

You're in a tough spot and have had bad luck in the form of your injury. Unfortunately, nobody owes you anything. Iif the agency had an $8.50 job, isn't that better than not working at all (don't know what your unemployment payment is, so refusing may make sense in that regard)? It might also give you some current experience in the short run which could pay off in the long run. And while it's fine to vent anonymously on an internet board, I hope that your anger or sarcasm didn't come across so obviously to the counselor - the fact that she told you to go elsewhere makes me wonder.

I went to a temp agency as another resource to finding work-I've had a bunch of interviews-it's that lack of experience that's killing me to change careers. I have a job placement counselor through both VESID and the local ARC helping me search for a placement. I didn't have any attitude at all during the interview. I was polite, answered all her questions. She told me I didn't have an relevant skills a employer would want from a temp. Why can I not answer phones? I've done that before-that's not tech stuff there. I have to get a sit down job. It's simple. I can't stand all day long, even with the special brace I wear. I vented because I frustrated-with everything. No-the only person that owes me anything is the homeowner who's home I slipped on black ice and shattered my ankle at. I've lost everything due to that one night-my job, my retirement, my health benefits. I don't get disability-I was 4 quarters short. NYS school districts don't have to carry it either. Everything we had to pay for all the medical bills, health insurance premiums-because it took 16 months for the fractures(trimaellor) to heal-we did out of our own pockets.

But I am a smart cookie. I graduated college with honors and was Phi Theta Kappa and Alpha Beta Gamma- so VESID sent me for re-training in a new field since I had the grades to handle the medical terminology for the billing and coding/office procedure class. I busted my tail to get that college degree as an adult. I've continuously shown that I am taking classes to improve my skills and knowledge. I also have learned computer programs-I bought Office just so I could learn 2007 last year sitting for 4 months in recliner, HTML, build webpages, do the social networking, done newsletters for my volunteer work and all sorts of things. I have much to offer someone-besides the VESID tax credit and HIRE credit. I run my husband's business office-do the dispatching, the phones, the computer work-emailing, faxing and banking. But that doesn't count because I am not paid. But his business has tanked-he's not worked in weeks. Yes, the $8.50hr might sound good at $320 a week before taxes-but here in NYS in the Hudson Valley-it's not going to pay even cover my basic necessities. And the job was 45 mins away-the cost of fuel had to be factored in too. I only get $169 a week for unemployment-that's done in 3 weeks. I need a real job that pays real wages-not under what my 18 & 20 year old kids get paid for jobs with no experience at all. Heck-my one child is almost 13 and she get's $10 hour to babysit.

Last edited by CampingMom; 09-27-2010 at 09:01 PM..

Old 09-27-2010, 09:06 PM

68 posts, read 378,234 times
okay a few questions for you. what agency was it? did you sue the homeowner? did you put all that stuff that you do (volunteering, office assistant for your husband's business) on your resume? do you have any examples of webpages you built? what was your college major?

you dont have to state that its not paid, and its all relevant work experience that you did. I'm kind of new at all this job stuff so you should deff wait for others to answer.

also try appying directly to jobs and cut out the middle man (temp agency).

Old 09-27-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slusher View Post
okay a few questions for you. what agency was it? did you sue the homeowner? did you put all that stuff that you do (volunteering, office assistant for your husband's business) on your resume? do you have any examples of webpages you built? what was your college major?

you dont have to state that its not paid, and its all relevant work experience that you did. I'm kind of new at all this job stuff so you should deff wait for others to answer.

also try appying directly to jobs and cut out the middle man (temp agency).
It was Ethan Allen here on my end of the county. Yes, we are in the process-which is very slow-of a lawsuit. I have my volunteer work-library, soccer club, transportation advisory committee for the local school district, Girl Scout Leader for 13 years, Science Unit Coordinator for Girl Scouts all on my resume. I have that the office assistant down for husband's business(she said that's a family business and really didn't count towards finding work). I don't have the room on the resume for the webpages-it'd make it over 2 pages. The NYS Job Counsoler whittled the resumes to be very clear, very concise. My college major was hospitality and tourism management-business technologies. I got my A.A.S in it.

I have been doing all my applying directly through me or the VESID agency(their contacts). I am not liking the temp agency thing at all. I may go to the other one that was at the job fair I was at. I was surprised by this woman being so negative during the whole thing. She even argued about where I got their business card-a rep from their agency came into our school to get new graduates to come in and see them. I may also go to their other office in the county. It may just be this woman-someone tinkled in her froot loops that day.

You made me think of one thing-I do have a career portfolio that I did back in 2001-I'd added things along the way since for my volunteer work. Maybe it's time I dragged it all back out again and add new pages for the website I did, volunteer work/skills I've been doing all along.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:31 PM

4,585 posts, read 11,731,203 times
I hear yah, I've registered with 3 temp agencies, I have skills and YEARS of experience as admin/tech writer/graphics/web design. Still type 55wpm and tested 98-100% on all Microsoft Office products (used to design and teach in house courses)...They have YET to even send me to an interview, I call them every month asking if there is something for me...ah nooo. Then, one of them who I spent hours interviewing and testing with said my tests were too old and I'd have to come in and do it again. Around here in NE GA any admin/secretary/clerk jobs are now requiring a batchelors. I have a college education at a CC.

Years ago, the agencies I worked with were great, now we are just fodder for their resume pile and most don't even remember who we are.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:37 PM

625 posts, read 3,500,064 times
CampingMom I think you did the right thing by going to an agency. Some are the quickest way to get a job and hey it's a weekly paycheck. My advice would be to definitely not discount the work for your husband's business and your volunteer work. Make sure you list every responsibility that you handle. If that agency wasn't to your liking go to another you have to register with way more than one to get anything and you have to keep looking on your own. I'm registered with so many agencies and I can tell you that sometimes I go weeks without them giving me a decent lead luckily I do my own consultant work otherwise I'd be dead in the water. Judging by the safety video I definitely know what agency you are talking about and I think you got a bad "counselor" not all are like that. She should be happy that you are willing to work for $10 ph because honestly I feel like they expect you to have a Masters and 10 years of experience just to offer you $12ph

Good Luck

Old 09-27-2010, 09:45 PM

625 posts, read 3,500,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I hear yah, I've registered with 3 temp agencies, I have skills and YEARS of experience as admin/tech writer/graphics/web design. Still type 55wpm and tested 98-100% on all Microsoft Office products (used to design and teach in house courses)...They have YET to even send me to an interview, I call them every month asking if there is something for me...ah nooo. Then, one of them who I spent hours interviewing and testing with said my tests were too old and I'd have to come in and do it again. Around here in NE GA any admin/secretary/clerk jobs are now requiring a batchelors. I have a college education at a CC.

Years ago, the agencies I worked with were great, now we are just fodder for their resume pile and most don't even remember who we are.

Sounds like what my mom went through. Luckily she found a job on her own but I can tell you this she registered with about 4 and none of them called or sent her on jobs. She has been working for over 30+ years and 17 of them spent managing a department at one of the largest hospitals on the east coast. Still nothing. They randomly leave messages for her now months after she registered saying they have something available.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:10 AM

750 posts, read 1,374,744 times
Temp agencies are useless. Very few of them have any jobs. They have a huge pool of workers but very little work. Lots of them may be shutting their doors soon. Do not see how alot of them cover their overhead. I am handicapped so they gave me a job counselor. Now I know I do not have 20 years worth of work history. Thus I am not in the running for a 50k a year job. But things are getting nuts. She asked me what I wanted to make as a pay rate. I tell her things are bad not just in my city but all over. So 10 to 11 is what I need to sort of pay my bills. Now mine you at 10 or 11 I will not cover all my bills. But at least keep my head above water for a while. She tells me are you college educated? Is this where we at in the future? You need to be college educated to make 10 bucks an hour? That is beyond nuts.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post

When I was in the one yesterday-there were 5 guys who all had green cards and they were getting work. No problems at all for them-one of them had to do translation for the others to understand. Yet I am given grief about what I did for work all these years and the part time jobs I did also? To tell me I've got less skills than those guys is bologna. To tell me my skills aren't relevant to a new job in a office is bull too. I bet most people don't really realize what it takes to drive a school bus-they all think it's a cake walk. I have to be a quick thinker, quick to problem solve, flexible, multi-task, and tons more when out on the road. It's why most people I think don't do it. Yet, they discount what skills are related to other areas. So I know exactly what you mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment