Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2007, 07:55 PM

793 posts, read 1,452,524 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am in my mid 20's and am looking into a career change. I graduated with my Bachelor of Business Administration in 2004 and was swayed into getting involved in the Home building industry as a Construction Manager directly out of college. I moved to Orlando Florida during the housing boom and the home builders were recruiting new graduates and offering us pretty decent money especially for a first job out of college. Well the housing industry as everyone knows has completely crashed and I am looking to get back to the basics and go the conventional route of a B.B.A graduate and get into an Analyst or Consulting job.

Now onto my question. Does anyone have any advice on how to approach this career change or any personal experiences that they could share that could help me avoid mistakes and traps along the way. To make this even more difficult I am job hunting in a market out of state (am currently still in FL, looking to relocate to Boston, MA) I have sparked some interest, but there is no such thing as getting too much advice, especially from anyone who has personal experience to share.

Thank you very much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 10:15 PM

178 posts, read 1,227,278 times
My experience has taught me to gather alot of information from a diverse range of sources before making a change such as this. Read periodicals, Google for articles. Talk to people "in the know" and take notes. Approach this endeavor as if you'll be graded on your work.

You might consider talking to the local SCORE (Service Corp of Retired Executives) chapter. They typically advise small business owners but might be willing to help you as well. Talk to guidance/career counselors at local colleges, or "head hunters" for the type work you want to do. Ask for a 15 minute appt with the president of the local chamber of commerce (I did that once and the guy actually got a kick out of being asked for his advice). Most importantly, talk to people who work in the biz you're considering. If there's a XXX association (e.g., National Assocation of Financial Consultants) in your area, talk to them. If not, call the national headquarters. Ask about the industry's growth, necessary education/qualifications, pay scale, etc. And be sure to ask what they look for in recruits; what makes the difference in being interviewed and being hired.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:04 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,370,597 times
rwally provided great advice and my recommendation is to follow through on this. Good luck to you.

Old 07-03-2007, 03:50 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
Does the school that you graduated from have a career center? Mine does and I can search for careers that match my degree and it links to salary info by region. Very helpful and I've found really interesting choices that hadn't occurred to me before.

It sounds like, however, that you've narrowed down your career choice. If that's the case, tell everyone that you know. I've been in the workforce for about 20 years and changed careers 5 times. The best jobs I've ever found were through networking. I'm not saying to stop searching the ads, internet, etc; but you'd be amazed at who is friends with someone who's friends with someone, etc.

Good luck!

Old 07-04-2007, 08:00 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
I'd check with your college to see what alums are in hiring positions in the fields and location you're interested in. Even if they aren't in HR they may be able to give you a recommendation to their firm if you talk to them first.

Boston is a good market for consulting. I know most of my son's friends got positions there for it right out of school. As for analysts, Wall Street may be better for that.

Try this book - "The Fast Track" Insider's Guide to Winning Jobs in Management Consulting, Investment Banking & Securities Trading, by Mariam Naficy. It will answer every one of your questions including career changes.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:08 AM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Why not combine your skills? Talk to senior construction lenders about joining their teams as analyst with portfolio management as long term goal.

Send me a PM if you need names in FL. Sorry Boston is out of my territory. You want to make your first steps and first mistakes not within your target area anyway.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:15 PM

3 posts, read 8,848 times
Default want to be a restaurant manager

I'm trying to get a job as a restaurant manager. I graduated with a bachelor's degree in hospitality administration but have found no luck getting into management. It seams you need experience but how can you get experience but have none. It drives me crazy , I don't want to be a server anymore!

Old 11-23-2007, 07:22 PM

141 posts, read 227,957 times
I just read the 2008 version of What Color is Your Parachute. It is very good and has been extensively updated. You can find the answers to lot of your questions there.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:14 PM

58 posts, read 157,888 times
Default Troubled Times

Career changes are already tricky and it sounds a bit like a "rat jumping ship" in troubled times. I love the advice of combining the two worlds...find a private equity firm who specializes in construction companies...Boston is a great consultants marketplace--I agree. And then, be sure in your nextjob interview that you fix the "rat jumping ship" thinking because it will show...here's how:

Say something more similar to this (if true, of course): I've learned very significant things during my tenure at XYZ Homebuilders--most notably, the great times were quite a ride and even the difficult times lately have provided excellent learning experiences, including getting things done with fewer resources. I believe this has boosted my personal productivity yet know I loved working in a growth environment better. So I'm seeking a way to combine my two loves...etc.

Take a positive approach, learn from both good and bad times--which happen naturally and predictably--and you'll be memorable and be able to land the job you want more easily!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment