Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2010, 09:34 PM

236 posts, read 595,769 times

Advertisements

Just applied for a job that I really want. Its for an Athletic Director at a high school. It's in a perfect location and everything about the job is great. But, there are over 100 applicants for the job. I have a background in athletics having worked at the high school, college and professional level in athletics. The school will start looking over resumes soon, but I am wondering what I could do to stand out and get an interview.

Does anyone have any advice of what I can do to stand out out of 100 plus applicants?

I have thought of having some of my contacts in pro sports (NBA) calling the Head of the school to recommend me.

I have also thought of having another Head of School who previously offered me its Athletic Director position (which I turned down) call and recommend.

I thought of actually flying down to the city where the school is located and dropping by to speak with the Head of School about my interest in the position. This would be a really lengthy drive and costly just to fly down and talk about the position.

If anyone can chime in, I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 09:47 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,160,229 times
If I thought I knew someone who could make a call and possibly get me noticed I probably would. With over 100 resumes it is just difficult to stand out without doing something.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:56 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,439,914 times
yes ,u must do something Specially..

Old 10-13-2010, 10:11 PM

781 posts, read 1,620,182 times
If you can get your foot in the door, use any and all contacts to get to that stage.

If you do get an interview be yourself. True enthusiasm cannot be fabricated and it is infectious. Be careful not to get too enthusiastic and wander into scary/desperate land.

Good luck!

Old 10-14-2010, 01:12 AM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
I agree with using the contacts, as my sister did when applying for a job in the sports industry (which she got). It doesn't guarantee you the job, but will certainly increase your chances & help you to stand out. Good luck!

Old 10-14-2010, 07:09 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,072,805 times
I wouldn't just drop in--I know it really irritates me when people do that and disrupt my work flow. I would use your contacts and ask them to call on your behalf, although I might stay away from the NBA one, you don't want to appear as a "name dropper" and would probably ask the Head of School to make the call.

One of the things that gave one of my recent hires a solid leg up was a call I received from someone in my extended network giving them a very strong reference.

Good luck!

Last edited by annerk; 10-14-2010 at 07:20 AM..

Old 10-14-2010, 07:29 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,299,615 times
Don't be discouraged. Just because they received a lot of resumes, doesn't mean there are a lot of qualified applicants. The internet has made sending resumes so easy that many people apply for anything, regardless of qualifications or experience.

In my experience, no matter how many resumes I receive, 20 percent are decent and 10 stand a real shot. There rest are basically recycling.

It's fine to use a contact, but I would suggest a letter of recommendation rather than a phone call. No one likes playing phone tag. Getting the right person on the phone is tricky and a recommendation is not something you want to leave on voicemail. Also, if there are multiple people that are making the decision, they can all read the letter.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:10 AM

236 posts, read 595,769 times
Thanks for the suggestions. I think what I will do is ask the Head of School that had offered me the same position to write a letter of reference to the Head of school for where I just applied. I will also call the interim Athletic Director who I think will have a say in the hiring process and ask him if it would be okay if I got a flight to the school and meet with him to talk with him in person and get a tour of the school. Flight is roughly $180 and I can fly in and leave the same day.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:40 AM

73 posts, read 288,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8 View Post
Just applied for a job that I really want. Its for an Athletic Director at a high school. It's in a perfect location and everything about the job is great. But, there are over 100 applicants for the job. I have a background in athletics having worked at the high school, college and professional level in athletics. The school will start looking over resumes soon, but I am wondering what I could do to stand out and get an interview.

Does anyone have any advice of what I can do to stand out out of 100 plus applicants?

I have thought of having some of my contacts in pro sports (NBA) calling the Head of the school to recommend me.

I have also thought of having another Head of School who previously offered me its Athletic Director position (which I turned down) call and recommend.

I thought of actually flying down to the city where the school is located and dropping by to speak with the Head of School about my interest in the position. This would be a really lengthy drive and costly just to fly down and talk about the position.

If anyone can chime in, I would appreciate it.

Thanks
I'm not trying to knock you I commend you on thinking outside the box you have to in this economy and especially if there are over 100 resumes.

Having someone else call on your behalf if htey don't have any affiliation with the school is not a good idea in my opinion. Nobody likes name droppers and that is essentially what you are doing. Also it sort of comes off as going over the head of the hiring person. Just my opinion but it kind of comes off as saying your just a high school athletic director, your probably not smart enought o knwo to hire me so let me have Dwayne Wade call you and tell you that you have to hire me.

I think your on the right track though, instead of email or regular mail maybe send a your resume in a large fedex package, maybe enclose a shoe and say something like "hire me and lets get off to a running start" lol. I realize those ideas may be stupid but like you said you gotta do something to stand out.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:15 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,299,615 times
Another tip:

Employers are not interested in your abilities in the abstract. They want to know how you can solve their problems. How do you know what their problems are? They tell you in the job description. Make sure you're applying for the job they're offering, not the job you want.

Don't underestimate the power of a targeted and well-crafted cover letter. Type the job description into a Word document. Then write a sentence or two outlining your experience matching the job description point-by-point. The order is important as well. The qualities and experience that they care about most are listed first. Once you've covered every point, shape the sentences into paragraphs and use the paragraphs as the body of your cover letter.

Be sure to have someone else proof the letter. You're applying to an academic institution. Even if you're not teaching English, you will represent the school. They won't want someone who makes careless mistakes (or worse).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment