Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 03:14 PM

435 posts, read 1,815,133 times

Advertisements

I worked as a CSR for a call center. Being yelled at by customers for 9hrs a day, that was fun . I worked at this call center which was leased out to a power company in Virginia. Needless to say I would get people calling to find out why I cut their power off (like I was the one who was actually going out & turning their power off). Umm hello....its your own fault that you own money. I'm not the one who has not paid in 6 months. It was a thankless job & even people I worked with didn't respect each other. I was so glad to leave that place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 04:48 PM

12 posts, read 35,484 times
Being from an industrial area of CT (The Valley- Derby, Ansonia etc), I would have to say that commercial fishing (lobstering) is the best and worst job ever. I have been on boats with good captains, and then I've been out with some really bad ones- th eones where I have wonderred if I would ever make it back in to shore. I have jumped ship- literally, because of a drunken and abusive captain. I have fallen overboard, fallen off the dock, been p**ped on by seagulls, spent many a day from dawn until dark out on the water, but in the end, I wouldn't trade it for much anything else. Except if they wanted to pay me to sit on a beach all day, tasting various cocktails and beverages. Then, maybe I might change professions.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:05 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
The job I most hated was K.P. (kitchen police) in the Army..Stinky, dirty long hours, no respect

Old 07-08-2007, 11:50 AM

24 posts, read 72,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
The job I most hated was K.P. (kitchen police) in the Army..Stinky, dirty long hours, no respect
Oh that just reminded me of another..."mess crank" in the Navy. I "think" it is quite a bit like K.P. We had to do all the meanial chopping of veggies, cleaning dishes, floors, the long (crazy) hours, stinky and in the negative on the respect scale.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:05 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokdchick View Post
Oh that just reminded me of another..."mess crank" in the Navy. I "think" it is quite a bit like K.P. We had to do all the meanial chopping of veggies, cleaning dishes, floors, the long (crazy) hours, stinky and in the negative on the respect scale.
Exactly the same Are you moving back to Corbin? Beautiful country about an hour and a half to two from Pikeville

Old 07-08-2007, 12:28 PM

219 posts, read 717,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokdchick View Post
Ahhh, mess cranking - I remember my stint. I also remember that it was only supposed to be for 90 days maximum - I was there 108, some people were there considerably longer. I worked with one guy in the Chief's Mess who was going on day number 231 the day before I went back to my division. I worked mostly clean up in the galley for a long while - mopping, polishing brass and so on. I was lucky enough to get placed later in the Chief's Mess - much smaller, much nicer and the people I worked with were all much less high strung. I spent my last 49 days of mess cranking washing dishes in the Chief's Mess so my experience was considerably less horrid than others.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:58 PM

428 posts, read 2,440,186 times
I've never had a bad job. I've had one really bad boss, though. Someone should start a thread.....

Old 07-08-2007, 02:15 PM

396 posts, read 1,698,924 times
Paralegal at a large law firm in Philadelphia

Old 07-08-2007, 03:18 PM

428 posts, read 2,440,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobsterman View Post
Being from an industrial area of CT (The Valley- Derby, Ansonia etc), I would have to say that commercial fishing (lobstering) is the best and worst job ever. I have been on boats with good captains, and then I've been out with some really bad ones- th eones where I have wonderred if I would ever make it back in to shore. I have jumped ship- literally, because of a drunken and abusive captain. I have fallen overboard, fallen off the dock, been p**ped on by seagulls, spent many a day from dawn until dark out on the water, but in the end, I wouldn't trade it for much anything else. Except if they wanted to pay me to sit on a beach all day, tasting various cocktails and beverages. Then, maybe I might change professions.
"Best and worst". You're absolutely right. I tendered herring and gillnetted salmon w/my DH and adored 90% of it. I'd have to say, it was my best job, though. I miss it terribly. And I miss the good prices we used to get for our fish.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:50 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
i'm just getting out of the worst job i've ever had now.
Sales Associate @ Circuit City in Falls Church, VA

12 hour shifts, 6 day workweeks, meetings at the worse time on sundays 8:30-11:30 pm that you would get fired for not attending, managers who wanted to play like they hard when you could whoop them very easily, the location was HORRIBLE, right in the middle a of non-english speaking high crime area which i made sure i kept the anti-theft club on my brake pedal of my car, also getting off at 11pm and having to go right back in 8 hours (little time for sleep), the employee discount was a joke, the company also heartlessly told 3400 employees when they came in for work to go right back home to b/c of a layoff that a manager inside the store knew was going to happen months before and didn't say nothing. Whatever happened to loyalty and respect for employees?!

I have (thank god) two days left, i may get fired for not going to a sunday meeting last night, if i do then just getting away from the belly of the beast of bad jobs earlier. Circuit City, i won't miss ya. YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment