Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 01:14 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I wore professional attire for my interview at Jack in the Box and was hired for the cashier position.
Exactly, it says something about a person.

I interviewed at Yahoo in CA for a contract position and wore a suit, even though I knew they had casual dress( and not business casual) everyday of the week.

Should I have shown up in jeans and a t-shirt because they allow that???

Again, you don't have the job yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 01:57 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
But, if you show up overdressed, it would show me that you don't understand the company culture. Sorry. You don't get the job.

As a matter of fact, there was a guy that complained that he got paint on his $50 shirt. Well, dude, you don't wear $50 shirts when you're working with paint, you wear $5 shirts!

Old 10-20-2010, 02:09 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,378,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Also, ladies do NOT wear skirts that shorter than your knees-you are not going to the club you are getting a job, do not wear sandals, & if you have long hair pull it up.
This bit of advice is hopelessly out of date.... Don't wear sandals? Wear your hair up? Seriously, it's not the 1950's anymore. As for skirt length, micro-mini may not a good idea, but above the knees is fine in many many professions.

Bottom line, dress to fit in with the existing culture - whatever that is!

Old 10-20-2010, 06:44 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,349,728 times
My former boss, an attorney, always came to work in a jacket and tie - but on days he was not in court, he dressed in the funkiest colors! He had jackets of every color of the rainbow - melon, torquoise, lime green, hot pink. He would match this with a tie of corresponding colors, but a very loud pattern. In summer, he brought out a white suit, which he wore with a panama hat and black and white shoes. I told him all he needed was a black bow tie, and he could serve cream of wheat. Or I called him the Good Humor Man. No, this was not why I was let go - he thought it was very funny.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:05 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,880 times
I think it will depend upon where you are applying. That being said, you should show up in "professional appearing" attire. That doesn't mean a suit in some instances it could mean slacks shirt/blouse.

For instance, when I've gotten an interview this summer in blistering hot GA, I don't wear a full blown suit - I'd melt. I wear nice slacks (I don't and won't ever own a skirt/dress again) and a "dress blouse" that appears to look almost like a suit top. The people I'm interviewing with are usually in scrubs or jeans and shirts with lab coat over, so I know I'm more dressed up than the people I'm interviewing with. I show up presenting a clean professional no nonsence appearance.

Just because the boss and staff are wearing hawaiian print shirts, shorts and flip flops, doesn't mean you should show up dressed like that for an interview. CLEAN and PRESSED nice slacks and a shirt/blouse go a long way in most environments. However, if I was applying to a job known for their "3 piece suit" attire, I'd be in a dark conservative suit.

If anyone is serious about working they will know what the industry dress standard is and appear accordingly.

I applied for work at the local Kroger where I shop, I "dressed up" when I went in to apply...now when I make a shoping run on my own time, I'm in shorts, sweats etc. I didn't get the job btw...went to another 20 something

Old 10-20-2010, 07:16 AM

2,632 posts, read 4,049,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I think it will depend upon where you are applying. That being said, you should show up in "professional appearing" attire. That doesn't mean a suit in some instances it could mean slacks shirt/blouse.

For instance, when I've gotten an interview this summer in blistering hot GA, I don't wear a full blown suit - I'd melt. I wear nice slacks (I don't and won't ever own a skirt/dress again) and a "dress blouse" that appears to look almost like a suit top. The people I'm interviewing with are usually in scrubs or jeans and shirts with lab coat over, so I know I'm more dressed up than the people I'm interviewing with. I show up presenting a clean professional no nonsence appearance.

Just because the boss and staff are wearing hawaiian print shirts, shorts and flip flops, doesn't mean you should show up dressed like that for an interview. CLEAN and PRESSED nice slacks and a shirt/blouse go a long way in most environments. However, if I was applying to a job known for their "3 piece suit" attire, I'd be in a dark conservative suit.

If anyone is serious about working they will know what the industry dress standard is and appear accordingly.

I applied for work at the local Kroger where I shop, I "dressed up" when I went in to apply...now when I make a shoping run on my own time, I'm in shorts, sweats etc. I didn't get the job btw...went to another 20 something
Exactly. I interpreted suit as suit and tie. A shirt/blouse and pants is acceptable for a fast food restaurant. There's being professional and trying too hard. Rule of thumb: 1 step up from normal attire.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:20 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,182,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
Sounds like the last place I interviewed for...and this was a law firm! (No, it wasn't "casual Friday", either).

And seriously Ron, a suit to McDonald's is overkill. Who wants fries and sauce with that?

Oh, and out-dressing an interviewer is a definite no....
Nope, not overkill.........at 16y/o......it's a good habit to get into. We will not be young forever. Presenting yourself like a mature adult seems to be lacking in adults. Dress for Success is what my parents taught me. You can call it overkill if you'd like.

I never said i wore it to work. I said I wore it to interview.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:57 AM

2,632 posts, read 4,049,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Nope, not overkill.........at 16y/o......it's a good habit to get into. We will not be young forever. Presenting yourself like a mature adult seems to be lacking in adults. Dress for Success is what my parents taught me. You can call it overkill if you'd like.

I never said i wore it to work. I said I wore it to interview.
I agree with dressing well. And I do wish places were more professional. However, where you live may also matter. In some cities, dressing that way for that job may impress people, but in other areas, especially if people in general aren't sophisticated, it's actually a turnoff. They think you're trying to be "better" than them. That's how it's been in my case, and I do dress professional for interviews.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:10 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,619,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
This bit of advice is hopelessly out of date.... Don't wear sandals? Wear your hair up? Seriously, it's not the 1950's anymore. As for skirt length, micro-mini may not a good idea, but above the knees is fine in many many professions.

Bottom line, dress to fit in with the existing culture - whatever that is!
I'm probably your age sweetheart-and if you looked at my other post the woman who was in the waiting area looked like she was going to a club-again you MUST look better than everyone else-once you get the job than you can dress like everyone else. It's called professionalism-

Old 10-20-2010, 11:44 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,642,263 times
I agree that the once very professionally dressed world has slid down deep into the abyss LOL I'm one who still believes you need to dress very professionally if for nothing else than the interview, I'm resolved to the fact that the days of everyone in the office dressing nicely has gone out the window like our economy.... can't help but people feel like "why bother"... LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment