U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 09:52 AM

8,520 posts, read 15,030,970 times

Advertisements

Hey folks!

As I continue to look for and interview for various opportunities, one thing that I have noticed is, job candidates are showing up to job interviews wearing "regular clothes". What I mean is, no jacket, dress shirt, dress shoes nor a tie.

I've interviewed for mostly management/Finance positions and I've sat in the lobby of the hiring firm and other candidates were waiting as well. They may not have been interviewing for the same position I was but nevertheless they were there for an interview. Maybe they were interviewing for a call center position or a mail room clerk's position, a job is a job.

I've seen people show up in jeans, a shirt( not tucked in) and "gym shoes".

Mind you, I'm not talking about young teen's, I'm talking about adults........over 25y/o.

I can go back as far as my job interview with McDonalds when I was in high school, I always wore a suite and still wear suites to job interviews.

I'm not saying wear a suite but a jacket, shirt and tie are the basic requirements.

I don't care if you're interviewing for a janitorial position, dress like you want to be taken serious.

It appears people spend lots of money of "everyday clothes" but don't spend any money on clothes that will HELP make an impression at times when it's necessary.

A basic sports jacket, (blue or gray)trousers, white or powder blue shirt, loafers, top coat and a tie should be in EVERY MAN's closet.

If I was in a situation and I had to relocate in order to find work and I could only take 1 outfit, I'd take my best navy blue suit, power tie and dress shoes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 10:36 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,608,468 times
Priceless..... I can't tell you how many offers I've had because I came to work fresh to death (urban slang for dressed nice)

Old 10-19-2010, 11:00 AM

4,144 posts, read 5,185,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
Priceless..... I can't tell you how many offers I've had because I came to work fresh to death (urban slang for dressed nice)
I'll have to use that slang-

Also, ladies do NOT wear skirts that shorter than your knees-you are not going to the club you are getting a job, do not wear sandals, & if you have long hair pull it up.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:06 AM

17,579 posts, read 43,118,076 times
There would be pretty much zero chance of getting called back for a second interview if you showed up in anything other than proper interview attire where I work. It really has nothing to do with the actual clothes themselves. It has to do with someone who makes a terrible decision right off the bat and we would question their judgement.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
There would be pretty much zero chance of getting called back for a second interview if you showed up in anything other than proper interview attire where I work. It really has nothing to do with the actual clothes themselves. It has to do with someone who makes a terrible decision right off the bat and we would question their judgement.
I was at an interview last week and this woman (maybe 26) was waiting to interview as well. She was wearing a skirt that was short to say the least (halfway up her thigh) no nylons, long earings, and her hair was long and in her face...all I could think of was "wow."

Old 10-19-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Mr Duval, I feel you.

I've been seeing this "dressing down" for a while. What made me finally write this post was my job interview I had today.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Mr Duval, I feel you.

I've been seeing this "dressing down" for a while. What made me finally write this post was my job interview I had today.
How did the interview go?

Old 10-19-2010, 11:36 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,608,468 times
I know Ron killed it today, the man knows his stuff. Matter of fact, I'm gonna break out the suit and tie tomorrow even though it's another workday. Come thru looking like the black James Bond

Old 10-19-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
How did the interview go?
Thanks for asking. The interview went well. The "higher ups" that interviewed me were great. The Director did something different. Instead of sitting in a room, we walked around the Campus and she fired away with questions and I answered than after our walk I was handed off to the next person. It was the most relaxing interview I have ever had.

It's a great position for a great company. I'd have about 20 people answering to me. The position entails a great deal of responsibility, Finance and leadership skills. I hope they call me back.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I know Ron killed it today, the man knows his stuff. Matter of fact, I'm gonna break out the suit and tie tomorrow even though it's another workday. Come thru looking like the black James Bond
Thanks man.

The Black JB, now that's cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment