U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 01:22 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,336,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Thanks for your help, Mightyqueen. In your experience, does HR approach you when a promotion comes? Is a contract drawn up again? If so, that would provide an opportunity to talk, but I can't imagine them asking me what I want like the last time. That was pretty easy. I just had to write a number down.
I can say in my world-- HR does not approach you about any promotion.

It is done in one of two ways

An In-line promotion (i.e. Special Analyst to Sr. Special Analyst). In-line is same team or same department with new responsibilities that may have a greater scope and span of control.

In-line promotions you do not apply for-- HR gets involved with the manager/leadership of the group and they make sure there is budget for it and make sure the new salary is updated. You don't interview, you don't do anything. Usually it is based on business needs (i.e. I was made a manager when someone else was moving on) or based on your performance or because there is a gap somewhere (i.e. I was a project manager for a time period because we didn't have anyone to do that role). You get no offer letter and you never even talk to HR about anything. The job is also not posted.

Promotions-- things you apply for. The big diffrentiator here is that hte job is posted and you apply for it like everyone else. You also get an offer letter. I have only done this twice. My previous promotions were all inline. So I never got an offer letter, I just had a new title, new salary, new benefits structure even when I went into a management role. My most recent job promotion was out of the department and into a completely different area of the company. I applied and interviewed like anyone else (both internal and external). I received a formal offer package with an offer letter I had to sign.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 01:26 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,336,510 times
Quote:
Thanks for your help, Mightyqueen. In your experience, does HR approach you when a promotion comes? Is a contract drawn up again? If so, that would provide an opportunity to talk, but I can't imagine them asking me what I want like the last time. That was pretty easy. I just had to write a number down.
Based on what you have said--- it sounds like this is an in-line promotion. You are moving to a more senior level of the role you play now.

More than likely (if your company is a company that is set up like larger corporations) they wont ask you what you want because this is not inherently a new role or even a posted position (i.e. not a new requisition for the company). They more than likely have a formula that they will follow in determining how much the increase will be.

Now when I worked for the state in HR-- we would review everyone's salary in the department and job level. We would review their years of experience in the job, etc. Then put you in a salary that would be "equitable." Equitable meaning- it didn't matter if Susie Smithers was a crappy employee who does everything to just get by, but if she was making 40k and she has 10 years of experience and you have 5-- you are NOT going to get 40k.

The above is why I lasted 6 months working for the state and only a year working with a very union centric organization-- I don't care about seniority; I believe in pay for performance. You work harder and execute more than me, you deserve to be paid more than me.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:14 PM

19,059 posts, read 23,538,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
Based on what you have said--- it sounds like this is an in-line promotion. You are moving to a more senior level of the role you play now.
Yes, you are correct. I won't be doing anything differently. The way it goes for promotions within the department is to be working at the next level for six or more months and then it should naturally follow. In my case, I've never fit the co description for my position any way. It was only a matter of time and successful project work.

Quote:
More than likely (if your company is a company that is set up like larger corporations) they wont ask you what you want because this is not inherently a new role or even a posted position (i.e. not a new requisition for the company). They more than likely have a formula that they will follow in determining how much the increase will be.
It's a large international pharma. I'm sure there is a formula.

Quote:
Now when I worked for the state in HR-- we would review everyone's salary in the department and job level. We would review their years of experience in the job, etc. Then put you in a salary that would be "equitable." Equitable meaning- it didn't matter if Susie Smithers was a crappy employee who does everything to just get by, but if she was making 40k and she has 10 years of experience and you have 5-- you are NOT going to get 40k.

The above is why I lasted 6 months working for the state and only a year working with a very union centric organization-- I don't care about seniority; I believe in pay for performance. You work harder and execute more than me, you deserve to be paid more than me.
Well, the promotion is based on performance from what I gather...given enough time at a particular position, which is around 2 yrs for me in this department. It would be unlikely that I could advance to Scientist I next year, unless I start growing exponential neurons and get smarter. lol

Eh, if raises weren't so poor last year I wouldn't be as concerned (eek with the double negative). I recently read an article that a number of industry co's are supposed to be upping the raises this year as incentive to keep employees. People are starting to bob and weave. I'm seeing it. My division has lost a few people this past year.

Any way, it doesn't look like I'm going to have negotiating options with this promotion. Thanks for the excellent advice!

Old 10-23-2010, 07:07 PM

17,579 posts, read 43,107,256 times
Quote:
Well, people have been answering my question. Thus far, I'm seeing similarities, especially with the employment of market rates.
You could get a thousand people to answer your question. That's not going to help you figure out specifically what is going to happen to you.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:28 PM

19,059 posts, read 23,538,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You could get a thousand people to answer your question. That's not going to help you figure out specifically what is going to happen to you.
I've received a general idea from folk that have experience with HR and large co's. lovetheduns is correct about in-line promotions and I've learned quite a bit. I've been able to narrow my search when looking for my market value and this thread has been a great help in that regard - can't ask much more from an internet forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment