Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 02:03 PM

251 posts, read 642,273 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. I've been out of college now for almost 1 year. I finished my last class online and worked for my friend's family. It was a great paying job, so I didn't look for other work immediately. My major was Marketing, and I received my Bachelor's degree.

As in most places, business has slowed down so much that I had to be laid off for the time being. I own a new truck, have cell phone and college bills. I live with my parents still at 23. My only other expenses are gas/food/clothes.

We live in South Arkansas, and I love it here, except there isn't too many number of jobs. So this week I went to my local Verizon store to apply for a job. They are hiring, and I have an interview later this week.

My only question is, is it really sorta dumb to go to college for a 4 year degree, and then come back to working retail at a store like Verizon? I love technology and cell phones and think it would be a great place to work. The pay seems good and they offer great benefits and room for advancement. I think I have this wrong thinking of I should have an upper level job seeing that I went to college and got a 4 year degree. I'm beginning to see now though that even with a more advanced degree, jobs are just not there and everyone is having a hard time finding jobs, even with degrees. I think I should just feel lucky that I even have an interview in such a tough economy.

I just wondered if anyone else has worked retail after going to college and getting a degree. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 02:13 PM

42 posts, read 136,100 times
Why not. Work that retail job, and look for other jobs at the same time. At least you get one line of income.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:38 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,261,079 times
Lots and lots and lots and lots of college grads working in retail. There is no shame in earning an honest living be it in retail or sanitation or any other position.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:28 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,417,895 times
Default Lots of options in retail

Being in retail doesn't just mean standing behind a counter. There are many options in retail. Marketing, merchandising, sales, and room for advancement.
Some could even venture into high-end galleries where commission on art is pretty high. One thing about folks w/moneyto burn...they don't mind spending it. You just have to 'tickle' that right button. They'll buy anything and pay any price. Just a thought.
Koale

Old 11-10-2010, 06:59 AM

364 posts, read 1,081,577 times
Work hard and with that degree you can go into mgmt. or district management.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:11 AM

520 posts, read 1,008,035 times
Bachelor's degrees are common, so don't feel entitled to be at X level at 23 years of age. You are just starting out, and your career will take off if you set a path for yourself.

I started out at Enterprise Rent-a-Car with my BBA. The strength of my customer service experience got me jobs really fast. I'm now a Systems Analyst doing quite well (I think). You'll be amazed at how retail/customer service experience will be in answering interview questions.

Next, utilize your marketing experience in Verizon. Get into marketing-related processes for your branch. You are lucky, you are getting marketing, sales, customer service, communications, and technology experience all in one. Also, shadow the manager and learn what you can about how the branch is run and try to find ways to utilize your degree in the branch so that you build up good resume accomplishments.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsmith365 View Post
Bachelor's degrees are common, so don't feel entitled to be at X level at 23 years of age. You are just starting out, and your career will take off if you set a path for yourself.

I started out at Enterprise Rent-a-Car with my BBA. The strength of my customer service experience got me jobs really fast. I'm now a Systems Analyst doing quite well (I think). You'll be amazed at how retail/customer service experience will be in answering interview questions.

Next, utilize your marketing experience in Verizon. Get into marketing-related processes for your branch. You are lucky, you are getting marketing, sales, customer service, communications, and technology experience all in one. Also, shadow the manager and learn what you can about how the branch is run and try to find ways to utilize your degree in the branch so that you build up good resume accomplishments.
How did you get into a Systems Analyst position? Did you get education in IT?

Old 11-10-2010, 10:00 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,530,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aparker2005 View Post
Hey guys. I've been out of college now for almost 1 year. I finished my last class online and worked for my friend's family. It was a great paying job, so I didn't look for other work immediately. My major was Marketing, and I received my Bachelor's degree.

As in most places, business has slowed down so much that I had to be laid off for the time being. I own a new truck, have cell phone and college bills. I live with my parents still at 23. My only other expenses are gas/food/clothes.

We live in South Arkansas, and I love it here, except there isn't too many number of jobs. So this week I went to my local Verizon store to apply for a job. They are hiring, and I have an interview later this week.

My only question is, is it really sorta dumb to go to college for a 4 year degree, and then come back to working retail at a store like Verizon? I love technology and cell phones and think it would be a great place to work. The pay seems good and they offer great benefits and room for advancement. I think I have this wrong thinking of I should have an upper level job seeing that I went to college and got a 4 year degree. I'm beginning to see now though that even with a more advanced degree, jobs are just not there and everyone is having a hard time finding jobs, even with degrees. I think I should just feel lucky that I even have an interview in such a tough economy.

I just wondered if anyone else has worked retail after going to college and getting a degree. Thanks!
I also find myself now working a retail job a few years out of college. Its not a bad job,retail seems to have a stigma attached to it, my buddy seemed surprised the other day to find out I had benefits and a 401k.

Retail isn't a bad gig. Some positives is if your really not an office type person or corporate type person retail tends to be younger people, a little more laid back, a little less professional, etc which I personally like.

I also find its less stress and less politics.

The downside is retail does suck in that you have to work nights and weekends, deal with the general public, your coworkers are often a less reliable bunch since instead of people who spent money on a 4 year degree and hard to get jobs are needing to keep their jobs in retail you'll often get a high school or college kid who lives with their parents and can just decide not to come in if they have to work saturday and there's a good party going on friday night.

I was recently offered a promotion at my current job, a pretty big pay increase and a more impressive title. Turned it down. I dont really want to stay with this company long term and I fear a promotion would take me down that path. I like my job now b/c I have flexibility to interview when I decide to move on and I currently run a small business on the side and it gives me free time for that.

I do sometimes feel like did I waste my time and money getting a degree as I'm working a job that people without degrees are doing but down the road when I move on ill use it so thats okay.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
I also find myself now working a retail job a few years out of college. Its not a bad job,retail seems to have a stigma attached to it, my buddy seemed surprised the other day to find out I had benefits and a 401k.

Retail isn't a bad gig. Some positives is if your really not an office type person or corporate type person retail tends to be younger people, a little more laid back, a little less professional, etc which I personally like.

I also find its less stress and less politics.

The downside is retail does suck in that you have to work nights and weekends, deal with the general public, your coworkers are often a less reliable bunch since instead of people who spent money on a 4 year degree and hard to get jobs are needing to keep their jobs in retail you'll often get a high school or college kid who lives with their parents and can just decide not to come in if they have to work saturday and there's a good party going on friday night.

I was recently offered a promotion at my current job, a pretty big pay increase and a more impressive title. Turned it down. I dont really want to stay with this company long term and I fear a promotion would take me down that path. I like my job now b/c I have flexibility to interview when I decide to move on and I currently run a small business on the side and it gives me free time for that.

I do sometimes feel like did I waste my time and money getting a degree as I'm working a job that people without degrees are doing but down the road when I move on ill use it so thats okay.
I worked retail all through college and loved it. I just hated working nights and weekends. Although, now working in corporate america/desk job...makes me miss retail management for the reasons you posted. Degrees are actually an advantage in retail because most don't have one, so if you want to move to a district manager, etc. you have a better chance because there's not as much competition.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:09 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,963,419 times
No shame in retail. Think of getting your foot in the door. If you do well there will be other opportunites in the company. Having something on the resume is better than nothing...oh, and cash fklow is good too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment