Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2010, 02:49 PM

318 posts, read 871,554 times

Advertisements

I'm a few credit hours shy of being a junior and next summer, I have the opportunity to study abroad in Uganda for the second time. Taking in mind travel costs, living expenses, and so forth after studying abroad once--soon to be twice--before, it will be cheaper for me to study abroad then it will to live on campus.

But if I study abroad instead of living on campus, I will not be able to work that summer. Money isn't an issue, as the money I would earn will be near the amount of the money I will save (and thus live on) while overseas. It's my resume that I worry about.

So monetarily, it makes no difference, except that I'll only have to take out a $1k loan if I go abroad, but I will have to take out a $1.2k loan to live on campus.

That said, I'm always worried about what my resume will be like when I graduate. I'm paranoid about finding a job. I expect to work in the administrative assistant field as I already am.

Should I think twice before taking off overseas, with respect to that gap on my resume? I expect that I'll be able to explain it and possibly even make conversation about it--"ooh, you went to Uganda? Jamaica? Uganda? And then Cameroon?" But I don't want to look like some kind of elitist, either, or like someone who doesn't take their job seriously.

My boss is awesome. All of my supervisors are awesome, really. They don't expect students to be around in the summer, and while I haven't mentioned my potential plans to her yet, she has already made it clear that it's fine with her if I'm not around in the summer. I won't be on campus for the spring, as well, since I am going to Jamaica. And the following spring, I expect to go to Cameroon for my final semester.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 02:52 PM

*should I think twice BEFORE choosing...

Sorry about that.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:56 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,205,076 times
When you say gap on your resume you mean between your junior and senior year of college? I don't think most people consider that a gap. Heck, most people don't have any kind of job meaningful to their chosen profession before they graduate.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:01 PM

Here's a more detailed explanation:

(If I continue to with all of my travel plans)
*Aug 2009-Dec 2009: Job
Jan 2010-April 2010: Uganda
*May 2010-Dec 2010: Job
Jan 2011-March 2011: Jamaica
March 2011-May 2011: Road trip
May 2011-Aug 2011: Uganda
*Aug 2011-Dec 2011: Job
Jan 2012-May 2012: Cameroon

(If I go abroad just once more)
Aug 2009-Dec 2009: Job
Jan 2010-April 2010: Uganda
May 2010-Dec 2010: Job
Jan 2011-March 2011: Jamaica
March 2011-May 2011: Road trip
May 2010-May 2012: Job
(if I don't travel after this spring)

The job that I have now is exactly what I hope to do after I graduate, except working more hours and making $2.50+ more an hour ($10+) It's a matter of how much experience I'll have on my resume as I launch into the real world.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:06 PM

935 posts, read 2,413,683 times
I know what you mean. I had the choice between studying abroad in England and working on campus while studying for a semester. My college in the U.S. required everyone to have a job on campus (off-campus was forbidden except in the summer) and I was student supervisor of a technology department on campus. However, I was feeling so burned out of the U.S. college I decided to study radio, television, and film in England for 6 months and I did not work during that time. I took a radio course, in addition to my other courses, and someone liked my American voice so much they asked me to do voice over commercials for the college radio station.

Over a year ago, I was unemployed and desperately looking for work. I already had a B.A. and working on my M.S., but was considered "overqualified". That's when I found a job that fit my B.A. degree, my dreams to work for the media, and it was part-time. I submitted my resume and mentioned my radio course in England. They were so impressed by it that they hired me right after the interview . So, you never know when studying abroad will pay off. If not for that course and experience, I would probably be unemployed instead of underemployed at a job I really enjoy .

Old 11-17-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
I know what you mean. I had the choice between studying abroad in England and working on campus while studying for a semester. My college in the U.S. required everyone to have a job on campus (off-campus was forbidden except in the summer) and I was student supervisor of a technology department on campus. However, I was feeling so burned out of the U.S. college I decided to study radio, television, and film in England for 6 months and I did not work during that time. I took a radio course, in addition to my other courses, and someone liked my American voice so much they asked me to do voice over commercials for the college radio station.

Over a year ago, I was unemployed and desperately looking for work. I already had a B.A. and working on my M.S., but was considered "overqualified". That's when I found a job that fit my B.A. degree, my dreams to work for the media, and it was part-time. I submitted my resume and mentioned my radio course in England. They were so impressed by it that they hired me right after the interview . So, you never know when studying abroad will pay off. If not for that course and experience, I would probably be unemployed instead of underemployed at a job I really enjoy .
Did you go to Berea College?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment