Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2007, 06:59 PM

786 posts, read 4,731,745 times

Advertisements

So many jobs in America are just plain dull and boring. You are forced to do the same task over and over and over and over!! To think that will be your existence for 8-12 hours a day seems scary. How can people do it? How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 10:15 PM

355 posts, read 2,402,464 times
I hate my job too---with a passion. Am dying to get out & do something new. Can't wait to go back to school & finish my degree with something I'm actually interested in. It takes all my strength just to get up another day to a job I loathe--and bores me to tears-I only do it because I have to support myself. The bills won't pay themselves

Old 07-10-2007, 10:18 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
Do you have trouble doing the same task over and over at work?

I have trouble with that at home!

Old 07-10-2007, 11:38 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,161,525 times
I like my job a lot (well, most of it anyway), but I HATE writing my progress notes on my clients!!!! It is so monotonous !!! I spend 2-4 hours a day writing notes on the same clients everyday!

Old 07-11-2007, 12:44 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
Well, this is how I see it. Yes, I do the same thing everyday. BUT...for different people. Each patient is a different person, and each task may be the same, but takes on a different meaning to that person. Sometimes one of much greater importance to one than another. So, for me, it is not a mundane task.

Even answering the phone. Each call is different. Sometimes just speaking with someone, I have truly helped them, made their day. They benefit from it, another time, they find out when their appt is.

The tasks are the same, but the meaning behind them are always different, and will always have a different outcome. Will this test reveal cancer? Will this test show us the cancer has finally gone?

Will checking out this patient be mundane? Here comes Ms. Holland.. she needs a hug.... she gets it, and boy, how does she smile, and how it has made her day.

My tasks are tasks. Yes. Boring and mundane, never.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:46 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
Yes, which is why on my resume I put I would prefer to work in a "project oriented environment"... don't like to work assembly line style that is for sure.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:09 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
The only "production" job I've ever had was stuffing those advertising inserts in the Sunday paper; HATED it. I am NOT the "production" type. Friends have asked me why I enjoy what they believe is the "monotony" of driving a truck. Even though I run the same areas all the time (OH, IN & KY) I never get bored. There's always somthing new to see and different lighting changes the way familar scenery looks. And looking out for other rivers is ALWAYS exciting...

Old 07-11-2007, 08:17 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,667,504 times
It does get old. The upside is that you can kind of go on "auto-pilot" and think about something else.

I recall once, on a temp assignment, being asked to sort 10,000 cancelled checks, put them in numerical order. Once I figured out how to do it effectively (10 piles, one for each thousand; then 100 piles, one for each hundred; etc) it was kind of like playing a huge hand of Solitaire.

But, managements efforts to dumb down and idiot proof every imaginable task hurts, rather than helps employee productivity. People don't work harder because you insult them.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:42 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
Horrible, but never dull and boring. So have quit! Now looking for that wonderful dull and boring job!! Be careful what you wish for....

Old 07-11-2007, 11:47 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,295,611 times
I used to work for a call center in insurance industry. My favorite part was when they would get me to audit. They would stack up print outs of the peoples work and I would sit ALL DAY scanning over these pages, checking what was in the computer and seeing what had been done wrong.

I had my head phones on and I would completely LOOSE myself. I loved it. I could sit there for hours and never put my head up or get distracted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment