Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 03:44 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
At my office we have an employee who is just terrific. He has a great personality and a unique way with people. He also has unique technical skills and a real great work style. He puts in long hours without complaint and is always available for extra work. ------------But we also found out he lied big time on his employment application.

When he was hired a year ago, he made up a fake company, paycheck stub, and got a few friends to act as boss. It fooled the new guy in HR who checked has references.

A few weeks ago we had someone recheck every-ones backgrounds as part of a ongoing security check for a government contract. Our superstar employees lies were exposed. What should we do about it?
yes.
stephen s
san diego ca
ps old accounting audit stuff
so you catch something wrong in their assertion and they say it is the first time and of all incredible coincidences you happened to be standing next to them when it happened.
if you buy that, i have a nice bridge in san francisco i would like to sell you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 08:07 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,055 times
I would say if on your application it states that if you lied you will be terminated that yes you need to terminate him. There is a big difference between embellishing your resume (by stating you have more experience or were more important than you were) or leaving off a bad reference then actually making up a fake job and contacts...and forging supporting documents. Yes it was clever of him...but no not someone I would want working for me...I'd never trust him.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:14 PM

140 posts, read 491,385 times
Jetson!!! Your Fired!!!

Old 10-06-2007, 08:57 PM

428 posts, read 2,440,288 times
Default Should we fire an excellent employee?

I don't know......should you cut off your nose to spite your face?? Are excellent employees that easy to find? (I think they are, but HR types make harder than it really is.) Thus, the game-playing that some are forced to do.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:36 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
If the Feds find out what he did you can probably kiss that contract goodbye.

Good employee - I'd want to keep him, but...

Lied on his resume and the rest - Tighten the reins and place him on probation - for a year. If he leaves and wants a reference - tell them what he did. Assuming he doesn't just make up a new past.

Trust - If he's that good I'd watch my sixes real close. Do you think he could find a way to steal or scam from you without you noticing? Maybe, if he's that good.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:35 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
yes.
stephen s
san diego ca
ps old accounting audit stuff
so you catch something wrong in their assertion and they say it is the first time and of all incredible coincidences you happened to be standing next to them when it happened.
if you buy that, i have a nice bridge in san francisco i would like to sell you.
And I got some oceanview lots in Las Vegas too.

You lie on your app and you're history.....no second chances....no matter how long it's been

Old 10-08-2007, 02:13 PM

558 posts, read 2,248,933 times
He put that much time and energy into commiting fraud to get the job and you're having to think about whether to fire him?

Oh well, when he pulls of a similar stunt in the future that hurts you, at least you can say you were warned...!

Old 10-09-2007, 09:27 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,399,620 times
I've seen this first hand, plenty of times. I don't know why they think they won't be found out. Most lies involved dates or education, but to make up a job this is extreme fabrication. In the business world, they all must be fired. Reason is a liar is a potential thief. Investment firms do not hire you if you have poor credit management, because you have potentially steal or sell their ideas.

The employee must be immediately relieved from his duties. If you like, tell him that you will be honored to give him a reference.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:15 AM

791 posts, read 2,223,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
At my office we have an employee who is just terrific. He has a great personality and a unique way with people. He also has unique technical skills and a real great work style. He puts in long hours without complaint and is always available for extra work.
Job applications are a pain in the butt and any company that requires a prospective employee to fill out page after page of info gets what they deserve. So you do a background check... what do you need? A driver's license number, a SS#, contact number for last place worked. Why would you even call the last place worked? Obviously this guy knew more than your HR department.

There's plenty of people looking for a job and in almost every case there's that page after page of garbage that means nothing other than a test of the prospect's memory and can he/she read and write.

You state, above, what a great employee this guy is. Was his background/credit check satisfactory? What else do you really need? Maybe companies should be required by law to present upfront to a prospect the churn rate for the particular position for which he/she is applying.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:49 PM

239 posts, read 799,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
It's not just that he lied that bothers me, it's that he was cunning enough to get enlist friends and set up a fake company, paycheck stub, etc. That seems to me to be much more than just a lie to get the job. He's a con man and he has friends that aren't any better.

There's danger in this guy, I think.
Con man? It's possible. It's also possible that he has a nasty habit of feeding his kids and keeping a roof over his head. If this guy goes on to be the next Bill Gates and we read this story in a biography instead of a posting, we'd talking about what a "go-getter, whatever-it-takes" kind of guy he was!

I would pull him in my office, tell him that he is being written up for lying and put on a 90 day probation. I would make it clear that the only reason he is not being terminated is because it seems he did not oversell his capabilities.

Right or wrong, if I had a guy like that on my staff who does good work without complaining, there's no way I'd let him go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment