Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2012, 05:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,089 times

Advertisements

I know of a major retailer that requires its employees who work more than 4 hours to clock out at 4 hours and then clock back in after the 10 minute break to avoid paying the employee for the lawfully required (paid) 10 minute break. (They require clock out at the 30 minute break too, but that is legal). If an employee does not clock out at 4 hour mark, they are fired.

I need to know HOW the employer is able to get away with this please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 06:06 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,484,669 times
People are not reporting it. That is how they are getting away with it.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:17 PM

2 posts, read 4,089 times
ok, TY. But I need documentation to supply to my friend ( who, even though there are retribution laws, fears it) I have read the labor law codes. I just need to figure out a way to show them it is illegal. (This is a national chain, maybe they only go by federal law and not state?)

Old 08-20-2012, 08:36 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,392,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cailly View Post
I know of a major retailer that requires its employees who work more than 4 hours to clock out at 4 hours and then clock back in after the 10 minute break to avoid paying the employee for the lawfully required (paid) 10 minute break. (They require clock out at the 30 minute break too, but that is legal). If an employee does not clock out at 4 hour mark, they are fired.

I need to know HOW the employer is able to get away with this please.
Most likely they are not actually "clocking out" and not getting paid.

Retailers over the last few years have been sued left and right for break and lunch violations. Most of them now require you to clock in and out for your breaks and lunches. When you "clock out" for the break, you change your hours code to, for example in a few of the places I have worked "CA10PD" which stands for California 10 minute break paid. When you go to lunch, you clock out to "CA30UP" which is CA 30 minute break updaid.

I would tell the friend to check the pay stubs. If he/she is working exactly 4 hours, I am guessing they are paid for 4 hours, and that the clocking in and out at the register is for employer time keeping, as if the employee changes their "hours code" in the system, if it is ever questioned, the company has proof that they took their breaks.

Also, the fact that they will terminate an employee for failing to take the breaks is another giant clue that they are one of the companies that have been sued at one point for the issue. This pretty much only becomes a rule after the lawsuit.

I have 2 major ones in mind right now. If you want to tell us the name of the retailer I can give you an idea if they have been sued.

However, I am going to guess that this is what is happening. I was once a manager in a place who did this, and I can tell you, it was one of the biggest confusions for the employees when they started as they were POSITIVE they were not getting paid for the 10 minute breaks when they actually were.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:40 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,392,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cailly View Post
ok, TY. But I need documentation to supply to my friend ( who, even though there are retribution laws, fears it) I have read the labor law codes. I just need to figure out a way to show them it is illegal. (This is a national chain, maybe they only go by federal law and not state?)
It doesn't actually work that way. In order for them to go by state law and not federal, they would have to follow state law that gives employees MORE than the federal law.

But I am guessing what is going on is what I put in my post. And I would tread lightly on it....as it is very possible, I am going to say likely, that the employee is actually being paid for the breaks and is going to end up in hot water for throwing a fit when he may well be in error.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment